Y&R- SPOILER possible New family!

• Members

I got this of from Toni's who has links to whats going on with Y&R.

Apparently its more of a "what if" plan than a confirmed fact. Because things have not worked out with Eric Braeden the writers including MAB are looking at the Hellstrum family as the "new family" of Y&R with the introduction of the Abbott's as a centerpiece of Y&R in the early 80's, they are looking to repeat history and add the Hellstrum family as the centerpiece.

Casting calls are soon to go out for brother & sister for JT as well as new parents for JT. It will be explained that JT is the youngest of the family. Unclear what "business" JT's dad will be in, but he'll be a "tycoon" to replace TGVN

Due to not having to pay EB's salary, it will free up funds to hire this new "Hellstrum" family. Some current legacy characters on Y&R may be on the chopping block, as well as newbie characters that just don't seem to working out in order to make room for the addition of at least 4 new characters.

Also long-term spoiler is that JT's father will go head-to-head with Jack (PB) and Jack will have designs on JT's mother (to add spice to the S/L)

Other "Way down the Road" ideas on the writer's drawing board include an Uncle or Aunt for JT if the ratings prove positive with introduction of his family.

Wow! although Im kind of glad that its JT's family who will be another main family because that means his childhood sweetheart Colleen can come back one day!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

MORE longtime characters will be dumped. What a shock.

I do like JT, and I don't believe that he is in any way a liability to the show, I think he is an asset when they know what to do with him. So I hope they do bring some of his family in, as long as they know what to do with them.

• Members

Who cares about JT and his family?

Why not bring back Prentiss Brooks, the son of Leslie and Lance, or Chuckie Foster and Jennifer Foster, the children of Snapper Foster? They could use those three legacy characters to come back to GC and interact with the Abbotts, Newmans and Chancellors. They of course would already be in their 30s as IIRC they were all born prior to 1980.

Why not put TLW on contract and bring back Nate and revive the Winter's family? There is so much in the history of Y&R that these brain dead writers can reach into and grab and work with instead of introducing a new family that no one will care about.

The positive thing about bringing back members of the Foster and Brooks family is that they can introduce "their children" who would not be SOARS'd because three of their descendants were born before 1980 (Chuckie, Jennifer, Prentiss). They could also introduce other descendants who could have been born off screen.

Colleen is never, ever coming back. She was declared brain dead and her organs were ripped out of her body and her heart was donated to Victor Newman. Unless they want to do a revival of Wicked and the Wizard of Oz, she ain't ever coming back as anything other than a scarecrow on the grounds of the Newman Ranch.

• Members

CSF, this group isn't going to give a black family a storyline.

I don't trust them with new characters either. They don't know how to bring them in. I'd like to see some Brooks or some Fosters but unless they tie them to characters like Jill, or bring Lorie or Leslie back, it will just be new faces with an old name.

I care about JT, and although I don't really expect them to know what to do with him, I think he can help bring a family in if they know how to do it (which is a faint hope, I will admit).

It's like Paul 30 years ago. They used Paul who had been on the fringes for several years, to bring the Williams in.

• Members

I know what you're saying Carl, but the thing is, IMO, if they bring in a new family. What will become of Nikki and Jill? Heather is already on recurring and there is not much for Paul to do so there are 4 characters that are of high risk to be written off the canvas. And then what will become of Katherine? Will Amber become her little side kick running around town screaming "Mrs. C! Mrs. C!"?

Colleen is dead so what will transpire in JT's love life? Fans already don't like AH as Victoria.

My problem with them introducing a new family is that they continue to neglect so many characters as it is. Will JT become the new Michael and his family become the new Glo, Kevin, Eden, Ryder and Jeffery?

IMO, introducing a new family on Y&R in it's current state is like putting a bandaid over a stab wound. There is still so much that needs to be done on this canvas with it's existing families. Why would we begin to care about JT's family. Fans may like JT, but when they look at what Y&R has become, would they really think this family is what Y&R is all about?

• Members

I guess the way I see it is, Jill and Nikki are probably leaving anyway, no matter what. They have worn Jill down to nothing. Nikki now exists only for Victor. * The show doesn't care about them. I would guess that Paul and Heather will also disappear.

That may happen whether they bring new characters in or not.

If the choice is between continuing to drag along characters who are creatively dead (the Newmans) and bringing in a new family, then I would go with the new family.

I can't really compare them to Michael's family because that isn't a family. They are people who were each slowly brought in, then the show made them related to each other as some feint to make viewers care. The only time they are a family is when they are scheming, and even that seems to have passed now.

The Winters are basically done, and the Abbotts are a family in name only, so there's a huge hole in the show.

Y&R certainly can't depend on JT as some sort of future lead, but I think if they are smart enough to introduce interesting family that viewers can care about, then they will have a step forward. Split him from Victoria, give him his own identity, and tie that into his family.

*If they DO want to keep Nikki, then I think they could reunite her with Paul, reinforce the Paul/JT friendship, reinforce that JT is the father of Nikki's grandson, and working relationship, and then through this group, bring in JT's family. Tie Nikki to this family in some way. Say she has a past with JT's father.

• Members

Personally, I just hope that something drastic takes place behind the scenes and MAB and her team are all blacklisted for this show. I still believe that with a competent writer, things could be some what corrected with Jill and Nikki and Paul. I think a competent writer could dismiss all the useless newbies. And that's my problem with the current team and their track record. I think whatever they bring it would be disastrous in some form.

• Members

I'd love to see Paul, Nikki, and Jill stay. They got me hooked on Y&R all those years ago and I still care deeply about them all. I just don't have any hope it will happen, at least with this group around. Even some of the soap press acted like Y&R was doing Jess and Melody a favor by bothering to want them around in any capacity. This whole "Poor MAB, budget cuts from Sony tie her hands" argument will carry a lot of weight.

Hopefully MAB and the others like Rauch and Hogan will be gone from the show and someone who knows what they're doing will use the vets properly.

• Members

Here's the thing. Every crazy, impossible spoiler these days has been coming true.

Laugh me out of Dodge, but Genie and Jonathan as the Hellstroms could actually be entertaining. But I'd rather see Denise Alexander -- fierce again -- as grandma.

Archived