Y&R: Eric Braeden update

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bye, bye.

The biggest, most inflated jerk in all of daytime. (The character.) I certainly won't miss him and though "iconic", he had to go one day. Not keep this show hostage of everyone always having to write for VN.

But there's more to this, as always. Not the end of the story.

• Members

Something tells me they will come crawling to him.

If they do, and they end up giving another brutal kicking those who have already taken severe cuts, then it will just remind us again of how stupid and incompetent these people are. Yet that is probably what will happen. And they will get such hype for "saving Victor" that those who will pay the price will be ignored by the soap press.

• Members

If Braeden is indeed gone for good, now is the the time Y&R really needs stronger and better writers. The show would have to go though a massive overhauling and transition. So much of the show and the characters on the show revolve around Victor in some way, losing him would be a huge blow, and with this current writing regime, they wouldn't be able to handle such a complicated and delicate transitioning. Hell, they can't even transition between story arcs organically!

Funny thing is, I wrote about this in the "Fire Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, Scott Hamner, and Paul Ruach" thread just a few minutes ago:

• Members

I don't disagree Sylph, but they've spent so much time building this show around the character and having multiple characters revolve around him, that they wouldn't know how to overhaul the show and transition it with him now gone.

The show doesn't have Bill Bell or strong enough writers at the moment to handle this type of transition. Whether anyone likes him or not, the show has built a huge part of itself and its characters around Victor. If this transition isn't handled properly, which with this current writing regime, I'm sure it won't be, it could have pretty disastrous effects.

• Members

They have gutted the character beyond repair, especially over the past year. The way he treated Nikki is something I can't get over, even if Nikki, as always, gets over it.

I really think Bill Bell was one of the few who ever understood Victor. When I think of how many great characters have left soaps before their prime, I won't miss Victor at all, as he peaked some time ago. But I know that isn't a majority opinion.

• Members

If ever there were a tent pole character. The entire Newman family and most of the Abbotts revolve around Victor. The writers were foolish to construct the show this way (Just like GH has done with Jason), but they have done it. I do not look forward to seeing how they shift the focus of the show and I say that as someone who is not particularly fond of Victor. At all.

• Members

And I don't disagree with this. But it just goes to show how huge a cautionary tale this is and how one character can't have a show hostage. Which is what's happening here. Who's to blame? Bill Bell. He was crazy about this idiot and look where we're now.

Oh, Nikki. That is precisely why I hate her, too. She's a pathetic excuse of her former self. Instead of evolving, she actually went in that opposite direction.

• Members

Like I said in the fire MAB etc thread, I think if he goes they will try to replace him with Adam. Good luck there!

The joke is that in the past 4-5 years they have completely dismantled the Newmans, made them all pathetic, hollow losers, except for Victor, of course, who is the ultimate parody of the manly man. The Abbotts are a family in name only, with Ashley and Billy not giving a crap about anyone in their "family" unless they need some help, and often treating the others with outright contempt.

Y&R no longer has family, or friendships, or strong characters. That's the type of thing that can replace longtime characters. It's why the show was able to move on from the Brooks and the Fosters.

• Members

Hell, Bell was able to transition out of the original two core families of the show, and as Carl said, in many ways, he was the only one that knew how to write for the Victor character and in a way where it seemed like he wasn't swallowing the entire show.

Now we're left with writers who don't really know the show can't even transition properly between story arcs.

This is going to be to be a wild ride for sure...

• Members

I sort of see his point though, and theirs. He feels like after 30 years he would like to be treated as more than just a disposable commodity accorded no respect. If it is take it or leave it, leave it is just as valid as take it. Their position is equally valid though and that in these times the show can't afford these rates. Sometimes there just is no solution.

• Members

I agree up to a point, but it sounds like Sony lacked finesse in how they have dealt with EB. I think they might have cajoled him into taking what they are offering, but they aren't bothering to give him the personal touch here. I don't think he is equating respect with money, but it sounds like they are being very corporate and cold about the whole thing. I suspect they (foolishly, imo) wanted him to leave.

Archived