Y&R Episodes Discussion, Week of October 5, 2009

• Members

Yes! I always thought that JT could have been bisexual (he didn't earn the nickname GayT for nothing). Sometimes he and Korbel looked like they were on the verge of having I hate you sex. Korbel could have come back and he and JT could have "comforted" each other. They could have kept Raul for him. I imagine Raul jumping all over JT when they meet up again. Instead of Rafe, P3 could have a relationship with JT. If they are going to put him with a woman then I say Mac. She could help comfort him with Colleen dying and his marriage ending.

As for Sharon, I'm sorry, but this woman doesn't need another love intrest for about a year or two.

Sometimes I think their existence is proof of the show's downfall. These characters have gotten more story over the past couple of years than legacy characters. Aside from Billy, Chloe, and Lilly the Scoobies are the next generation of the show's stars. It make me sad to think that there are people out there that think Amber, Deacon, Kevin, and Daniel are the future of Y&R. I can no longer think of Daniel as a legacy character and I forget that he is Phyllis and Danny's son. The Scoobies remind me of Rex and GiGi. Characters that aren't really tied to core families, but the show writes them as if they were or bend over backwards to make them clic somewhere. It's sad that Colleen was considered less valuable than the Scoobies.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought JT was interesting in his bad boys days too. Even now when he fights with Victoria there's a hint of an edge.

I just think Sharon needs something different from Nick, and I think they could put her with JT and give him some fire back. I'm sure the show would just see this as like Paul/Nikki/Victor, but I think there could be more. Nick has ruined Sharon's character, and so has the show having her screw all these different men and then just say well what do you expect, she's such a victim, she can't control herself. I'd like to just see her focus on friendship with one guy for a while, laugh, have fun, then possibly more.

• Members

Sorry to harp on virginity/celibacy, but this JT discussion reminded me.

JT went for YEARS without sex (during his romance with the underage Lyndsy Fonseca). This was after being the horndog-extraordinare before that.

In JT's case, the celibacy was not REMOTELY weird. It was beautiful...and it was a palpable sign of how much he was being made a better man by his love for his special girl. Even then, JT was human...which is why he faltered with Anita Hodges.

The celibacy was clearly motivated. In the case of Chance...not so much.

Here is what would work for me--a version of the Luca/JT stories: Chance says there was a high school sweetheart he really loved and gave his heart too. She wanted to wait to make love, and he fully understood and agreed, because he loved her so much. Then, when she broke up with him/broke his heart/died/took up with another man, he immediately shipped off to Iraq. THAT is the reason this rich young man went to Iraq...to mourn the lost love of his life. In Iraq, there weren't any real opportunities for sex...plus he was still kind of hung up on his high school sweetheart. We've gotten to know him immediately post-Iraq. So it makes sense that he's in the place he is in his life.

That tiny bit of backstory immediately transforms, for me, Chance's currently inexplicable/unmotivated "I'm a virgin" to "I was saving myself to be with my high school sweetheart, but when that fell apart, I went to Iraq". Those 20 words would fix it for me. Either that or "my faith does not allow me to have sex out of marriage".

I'll stop harping on this, but it drives me crazy--that we don't know anything about this really important character. This is a boy -- like Colleen -- that we saw BORN on screen. Whose birth fueled YEARS of story. How can he be such a cipher now? I guess I only need to look to Colleen or Heather for my answer to that one.

• Members

:lol: Vamptoria smited!

Know what else needs to be smited? Sharon's hellacious weave. I could dig the weave if JT was running his fingers through it, though.

Michelle Stafford was looking really good yesterday (hair, skin, etc). But it bugs me the way she pronounces "Switzerland" as "Swissalaaaand."

Josh Morrow's best acting was opposite the child playing Summer! You can tell he has kids. I got the same vibe from Laura Wright on GH yesterday.

They changed Fenn! The old one was cute and talkative. This SORASed one is mute.

OK, unpopular opinion here. I thought Chance and Chloe were adorable. LH is such a find for Y&R, especially in the scene bobbing for apples. I also thought the way Chance kissed her was hot and horndoggy. Well, who can blame him? I think his reasons for "waiting" are semi-religious. Not out-and-out "it's against mah religion" but rather waiting until he's found The One and making sure she's The One.

The Scoobies... well, you guys already called it. I love Deacon and Sean Kanan but this entire SL needs to be gone. Graz re-signed a contract for this? No wonder he looks pissed. I love art IRL but if I never hear the words "stolen" and "art" on Y&R ever again, it will not be a moment too soon. First the reliquary, then Sabrina and Victoria's Modern Art 101 tutorial, now this stinker? When they mentioned Ryder was still in jail "doing Deacon's bidding" yesterday, I realized that this story saturated logic, oh, about the moment it began. Why did this day player even agree to go in there? Is Ryder hypnotized by Deacon? Did Deacon steal Stefano Dimera's brain chips and implant one in Ryder's head? This is how loony this story has gotten. I'm willing to see who is playing Ryder's crazy ma but that's about it.

• Members

I still think Chance is a virgin because they think they need a contrast to sex-crazed Billy. I think it's also a reminder to us that Chance is not a "real man", especially in Chloe's heart, and Billy is.

I've given up on Sharon's hair. She should just start wearing a Bozo wig.

• Members

The writers stopped caring about thorough character development. The focus is on plot and head storylines. It makes me wonder if these people grasp the full concept of what makes a soap interesting. It's not just explosives, surprises and shallow ironies it is about hitting the right storybeats in interesting stories told through character perspectives

• Members

Muhney is pissing me OFF today. All this "furrowed brow" crap is about the drive me COMPLETELY up the wall! It's just as bad as Sabryn Genet when she kept shaking her head in EVRY line of dialogue. Besides looking 40 (Today he looked 43) I've come to the conclusion that it's his mannerisms and facial expressions that is tanking his perfromances for me. His breakdown on the stairs? I felt NOTHING, now Alvin wants to bark about hollow performances.. THAT was hollow, and NOT because of the writing, because Muhney plays the part with NO vulnerable subtext or ANY shred of conscience or guilt like Engen did. .... Muhney didn't even NEED dialogue to play that subtext, Engen did it solely with facial expression. And the Hope/Adam voiceover? Why the hell couldn't they have gotten Signy Coleman to do a 30 second voiceover? If not, they shouldn't have DONE IT. I liked the fact that Muhney WAS able to cry, but that's all I liked about it. It had a certain over the top Histrionic quality that really bothered me.

• Members

Morrow.... YES!!!!!! Today he was firing on all 8 cylinders, WHAT A RELIEF. He's been so crappy the last couple of weeks, his scene at Victor's bedside was BRILLIANT. So filled with emotion, but he didn't forgive Victor... thank GOD. He's a great actor when he wants to be, and I'm so glad he's pulling the performances the last couple of days. The shot of Eileen looking in on Victor, Nikki, and Nick was well done, from a directing standpoint, and from Eileen's performance. You can tell she knows DEEP DOWN something is wrong, and she's not ready to accept it yet. Eileen played that scene to PERFECTION.

• Members

Oh, I'm SO glad you say that he is not forgiving Himmler *cough* I mean Victor. I was so worried the hospital stuff was Y&R's cack-handed way to get us to feel sorry for the old coot. Especially when Vamptoria started hisssssssssssssing at anybody who dared approach his bedside bringing "negative vibes." I still can't believe she outlawed her half-brother and her own brother's WIFE from the hospital. And when he pulled out of surgery and she was all "Daddy, you're mah hero!" I figured the whole Newman clan had forgiven him (including Nikki with her whole "that's just what Victor does" excuse). Glad Nicholas retrieved one of his balls.

• Members

UGH, Adam needs to go. This character has run out of steam, he isn't interesting, he's one note, boring, and makes very little sense as a character.

Muhney also sucks, he needs to stop believing the hype Nelson dished out towards him as an effort to prove Engen is a homophobe. Muhney sucks, plain and simple.

This baby switch mess is inane and horrendously plotted.

FIRE MICHAEL MUHNEY AND WRITE ADAM OFF, PLEASE!

Archived