Y&R Episodes Discussion, Week of October 5, 2009

• Members

I'm not entirely sure Sursok was Latham's move. Latham wrote heavily for Leon's Colleen, maybe not towards the end of Leon's run but Leon had a lot of airtime. When Sursok showed up in summer 2007, the character was immediately backburned and only showed up like 3 times a month towards the end of Latham's run. What I don't understand was how Latham could used Leon so substantially, and then barely noticed her recast? What was the point of recasting a role she wasn't going to write anything for anyway? July 2007 to December 2007 was a good enough time to fully integrate Suksok as Colleen, but Latham hardly noticed her, and this current writing regime continued the trend.

But again, why did Leon in her short amount of time appear in more episodes than Sursok did in like two and a half years? Why did Latham write lead storylines for Leon and then drop the Colleen character when Sursok came? While Maria and her henchmen might have had no interest in the character, hence killing her off, it still doesn't explain why Sursok spent nearly 3 years doing nothing on this show. Something about that doesn't sound right. Why didn't they write Colleen off sooner?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Colleen's air time was gradually reduced during the first half of 2007 when Leon was still in the role and she was a glorified waitress and sidekick to Lily for those last 3 to 4 months. She wasn't suddenly dropped when Sursok took over.

My theory: MAB was hesitant to write out an Abbott at first, but then the licensing fee was cut and the ratings dropped and she thought "You know what? Screw it. We need to save money, we need to up the ratings and we have no desire to write for this character anyway, so let's just kill two birds with one stone."

• Members

I watched the show last night and like many others have said I really honestly didn't feel a thing. The only person in this storyline who ever makes me want to feel something is Traci and they hardly showed her. I thought Morrow wasn't as bad as some were making it out to be and even if Thad didn't cry I thought his heartbreak was very believable and readable.

I can't believe how little I like the character of Adam and it's all because Muhney. I used to cheer on sick little Adam with CE in the role, and now anytime they show him I just want him off the screen.

I fully agree with whoever said flashbacks are sorely missing in this death...

• Members

Damn. Colleen not dead yet? The long goodbye is taking 4-EVA.

Monday's epi, though, was good IMO, thanks to Maitland (of course), Bergman not overdoing it and Josh Morrow who totally surprised me with the way he choked up about Sharon not being able to hold her baby and say goodbye because it may have had birth defects. Having Kay shoved in waving a bible passage was a bit much, but the Bell soaps have always loved those "don't forget God" moments. I had to laugh when Mac told Lily she believed Colleen was in a "magical place" now. All I could think about was this Bizarro World:

6a00d83451b72b69e20120a5da4dbb970c.jpg

Lucky Colleen!

Liked the end when the Newmans and Abbotts stood side by side as Colleen and that old goat were wheeled into the OR.

• Members

Yes, Bizarro World looks better in still than it did in action. I wish that episode had worked for me...but again...had we seen flashbacks of Colleen's history with those people, it would have meant a lot more. "Your life flashes before your eyes". This is a place where I would have just shown the flashbacks...don't worry about the different actresses. We all "lived" with each of them...we should have seen their story unfold one last time.

What I found interesting about Abbotts, of course, was that Ashley was back with them. I can't remember who JT was standing with--which clan?

My hope hope hope is that Billy gets distracted with bringing down Newmans (and that Chloe is his "Iago"), freeing up Mackenzie. Then, I'd like to re-explore Mackenzie and JT....assuming Victoria is pregnant from her dalliance with Deacon.

I have no place on the canvas for Chance. I think I would have liked to have seen him with Heather, but alas, she seems to have evaporated.

• Members

I would do a very long story for Chance about struggling to fit in with a world which isn't a battlefield, a long story with rebuilding his relationships family, most of whom he barely knows, most of whom basically replaced him after the whole Cane is the real heir story. That doesn't have to involve a love interest. "Romance" is possibly the worst part of Y&R now anyway, aside from the psychos and the misogyny. The only relationship in the younger set I buy is Kevin/Jana (based on camraderie and personality, not chemistry) and Lily/Cane (even though they are too icky sweet for me). Billy, Mackenzie, and Chloe were all damaged by the musical bed storylines. I still think they made a mistake in just totally dropping the Chloe/Cane connection after building it for months. A story where Cane is still drawn to Delia and has some lingering fondness for Chloe (who also feeds into his white knight issue) would have done more for me than this stuff with Billy (I don't see any real chemistry between them and he only wants her when he can't have her) or with Chance.

As for Billy, I would rather see him break off with the Abbotts for good and go work for the Newmans. He is so much like the Newmans anyway. Then he can clash with Nick and Victoria.

• Members

I know, seriously. Where is Heather? I guess TPTB saw the blinding lack of chemistry between Muhney and Bloom and decided to nix Heather once and for all. I was ready for her to show up at the hospital to handcuff Victor to his bed for the whole Patty Jane fiasco! And to see Victoria and Nick hiss at her about being so mean and unfeeling.

Seriously, if Morrow hadn't broken down in that scene with Stafford yesterday, I would be bitching right now about the way Prickolas and Vamptoria copped an attitude with A. the doctors, B. Adam (he's Victor's son and deserves to be at the hospital just as much as them) and C. the Abbotts this past week. What is UP with their snottiness? Who did Victoria think she was, banning Phyllis from Victor's bedside who flew all the way from Switzerland to see if he was OK? Grrrr. My hatred for "Victor's one-and-only true flesh-and-blood" has not abated. I hate that we are being told to view these two idiots as some kind of hero/heroine.

• Members

Yes, yes, yes regarding Cane. I'd like to see why he's such a "good boy". That doesn't compute with his upbringing. And I'd like to know why he joined the military--most men of means no longer do that in the US. I'd like to see him struggling between the military perspective on his father's sexuality and his own leanings to be more tolerant. I'd like to see him have some anger toward Victoria, whom he could blame (in part) for taking his "daddy" away from Nina (admittedly...it was really Tricia). I'd like to see him have unresolved hostility, as you mention, toward the family that neglected him all these years. I'd like to see him teeter between love and hate. Is Driscoll capable of any of this?

I'd also like to see him kicked off the GCPD for some issue related to his inexperience...it doesn't compute that this young returning soldier is an insta-plainclothes detective. Cop roles are thankless. I'd like to see him have to muck around in the dirty world (e.g., at the dive bar) to cope with moral ambivalencies.

But, then again, I suspect none of this is fodder for a daytime soap these days.

I won't be happy, though, unless Phyllis is FURIOUS with Victor (at least when she is not with grieving Nicholas) for basically indirectly causing Summer's brain damage. Phyllis has done bad things too...she can't throw stones...but I'd like to see a moment of patented rage.

• Members

Replying to these in this week's thread.

Because we have not learned any moral/religious reason for Chance to be a virgin (he doesn't spout gospel, for example), the virginity part is weird. Plain weird.

Unfortunately, it makes me afraid (with his penchant for moral absolutes) that he is going to turn out to be a serial killer. Seriously! And that's the last thing we need...more dark perversity, more death, and another lost "legacy" character.

Really? Sigh....

Archived