Y&R Episodes Discussion, Week of October 5, 2009

• Members

I agree wiht everything you said. I think I used half a box of kleenex today. And that Haley Erin drives me NUTS. She sucks for days and weeks on end, and then today... the little bitch makes me CRY! For once I'm glad she pulled this out. Adn Morrow FINALLY showed something! And Amelia crying outside the door was moving and effective, her KNOWING that Colleen is JT's "Nikki", and he will never love HER like he loved Colleen. Thad. My goodness, that boy can't act. I liked the dialogue, it would have been a great scene in the hands of a capable actor. Now, Katherine reciting bible verses ain't THAT odd... just remember her religious conversion thanks to Brock, circa 1975. I think the scene would have worked better, though, if it were BROCK in Kay's place, though (Billy and Brock are pretty close, you know). The main thing I would have done differently today, was I would have NOT shown Victor in the final scene, I would ahve made it nothing but Maitland at Colleen's bedside, and NO ONE ELSE. I also wouldn't have used Cassie's version of Nadia's theme. That version to me, should have remained special.... never to be used again. I would have used THIS version, and we haven't heard it in YEARS, so it would have been very effective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wId7DspI6jU

And btw.... can I just say another thing about the clip above...boy do I MISS those EXTREME closeups Conboy used to do!

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought the exact same thing about Brock! He should have been the man with the bible verses.

That old Cindy Lake death scene was great. I thought that was Cassie's Nadia's Theme. I think they're using it because it is quieter, more subtle. Y&R is less "produced" these days, and that would make the sumptuous orchestral version seem "over-produced" for the lower key show. But I would have been happy with a plain-old "opening theme" version.

I missed the use of this theme when Brad died. I realize that his death was meant more for shock value (the under-ice indignity), but I really missed that ability to say goodbye to him.

It will be nice to get out of the hospital beginning tomorrow. Honestly, today's show was so heavy and dark, I was urgently wishing for some Fisher-Baldwin hijinks...just to leaven things up.

• Members

As DeeDee would say..."Pretty Much""..

I hate now loathe Muhney in the role of Adam. He is all wrong for the role and I feel squat for him. He is not a good actor at all and he is too old for the part!!

I liked the Colleen character until Aussie girl to over and ruined it!!

• Members

I actually liked the show today. It's the 1st time in a long while that I was excited to get home from lunch to watch the show and I didn't switch the channel once!! :) Sure, it's not perfect but today was a good day for me. That's about all I can say.

And I don't like MM's acting either but Adam is currently a "cartoon character" for me so....

But MAB has thrown out some subtle hints about what's coming...and I like.

• Members

If the show were better balanced, we wouldn't need useless hijinks from Gloria as a rest period. Everything right now is doom and gloom, it's so sad that characters like Gloria provide a break for us. Surely there should be some boardroom meeting at Jabot or Newman as a side story, surely there's someone who is genuinely happy on this show, surely there's characters who haven't had a story in a while that should be given one, etc.

• Members

Colleen, a character who survived being left to die in a burning building not once, but twice to be saved both times by her love JT who always held her heart is now a dead character. This former camp counselor fell out of a canoe on a sunny day on a calm lake and apparently fell so dramatically out of said boat that when she floated up she hit her head so hard and drowned. Now this dead girl has been sacrificed to see her heart given to a man who hired a couple of over the hill grifters to set her up to be embarrassed on the internet.

From the height of romance to the height of trash. How sad. It was bad enough they killed her off a mere 7 months after her father drowned in the same lake, but to have her die in such a contrived way. I was never a huge JT and Colleen fan, but I remember being moved when he found her and carried her out to her father's arms, but now both Brad and Colleen are dead and for what?

• Members

For the budget, honey.... for the BUDGET. I had a feeling when Bill Bell sold part of Y&R to Sony, such a large corporation with their moronic bean counters would eventually kill this show. But I'm glad we got a good episode today, and even Friday was great. I, too... am looking for something LIGHTER after the sadness and gravitas of the last week. This is where I'd have like to seen Indigo again. Bring in a guest star to sing at the club... Mary Wilson would be nice, it would give Neil a reason to be onscreen.

• Members

So, Brad and Colleen couldn't have simply left town? They had to be killed off for meaningless storylines with little to no long-term ramifications?

Screen Gems, then Columbia Tri-Star, and now Sony have been invovled since day one. They don't dictate story, and Maria Bell and Paul Rauch have been far too boastful about the amount of power they have over their work. If it weren't true, I'm sure they wouldn't be singing it loud in every interview with Nelson Branco.

Hell, I'd even settle for Gina (Patty Weaver) singing if they can't land a musical guest. Hell, where is Gina anyway? I don't believe we've seen her since she publicly called the Baldwin-Fishers out on what losers they are on television during the Chipmunk fiasco.

• Members

MAB subtle? Really? I missed those scenes.

Mark, it's interesting that Eric Braeden is going on about lack of rehearsal time -- weren't Branco and Rauch going on about increased rehearsal time?

Josh Morrow has been on this show for over 15 years. If he can't come up with a good performance without coddling by this point then why does he still have a job?

Katherine's religion -- wasn't she "saved" by Brock in the 70s? I do agree we don't really see her in a religious element. Unless you count "Dear God in Heaven".

My favorite Colleen scene was the red hot breakup sex with JT.

She accidentally gave Abby ecstasy as a child, didn't she? That explains a lot about Abby...

• Members

I agree with everything above. I remember when we still got the Coca Cola logo at the end of Y&R (when they owned Columbia or something). The show was fine. And I do miss Gina a lot. She had a connection of sorts to Colleen (she almost burned in the restaurant)...the least she could do is come buy and give everyone takeout lasagna.

I wonder what the truth is about rehearsals. I feel like these folks are under-rehearsed. Good point about both Morrow (but let's face it...he's still around 'cause of those dimples) and LMAO at "Dear God in Heaven".

Is that true about ecstasy?

Archived