Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Guiding Light discussion thread

Paul Raven

• Members
Just now, amybrickwallace said:

The best episodes of his show are when his guests start reminiscing with each other and end up almost ignoring him. That's not an insult to Alan, but the guests sometimes just kind of do the heavy lifting for him. It feels almost organic.

Today, I listened to the Mart Hulswit/Fran Myers episode. They were both terrific and I was especially charmed by Mart. His voice was so gentle yet commanding. I could have listened to him forever. I wanted to shush Alan every time he interrupted Mart and Fran.

Because those original pieces, especially the initial As the World Turns and Guiding Light reunions were about coming back with discussion... not endless questions.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
1 hour ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Followed by noticeable silence and a drag in conversation. Somehow I heard the "that's crazy" exactly in his voice.

I cringe every time he says “our fans” … not sure how many people watching these reunions are his fans. 

• Members
28 minutes ago, Frozpog1 said:

I cringe every time he says “our fans” … not sure how many people watching these reunions are his fans. 

When he says "our fans," I am pretty sure he's speaking in terms of the soap the interview is related to... or, at least, I hope that's what he means.

• Members
On 7/10/2021 at 6:13 AM, RavenWhitney said:

Curlee revealed some great tidbits.  First, it was mentioned that she wrote for AMC and GH although her name was never in the credits, and that she was 'negotiating' with ABC to head write GH when she got pregnant.

Where in the interview do they talk about NC's uncredited work at AMC and GH? I missed that. She talks about negotiating to take over GH at the 59:50 mark but says she did not take the job due to her third pregnancy.

• Members
15 hours ago, redontop4 said:

Where in the interview do they talk about NC's uncredited work at AMC and GH? I missed that. She talks about negotiating to take over GH at the 59:50 mark but says she did not take the job due to her third pregnancy.

Alan mentioned it at the top of the interview then restated to Nancy when she was onscreen.

• Members
3 hours ago, RavenWhitney said:

Alan mentioned it at the top of the interview then restated to Nancy when she was onscreen.

Ah, you're right. At the top, Alan says NC wrote for AMC and OLTL. I wonder when that was and what she was responsible for.

• Members
13 hours ago, BetterForgotten said:

She's admitted in other interviews to being a consultant for ABC Daytime in the mid-90's (which is why she was probably considered for the GH HW role), but I don't think she was ever officially credited for writing anything on those shows. 

So insane that CBS/PG didn't hire her as a consultant or head writer...God, can imagine if we got her instead of McTavish or E & B?

• Members
2 hours ago, Mitch said:

So insane that CBS/PG didn't hire her as a consultant or head writer...God, can imagine if we got her instead of McTavish or E & B?

ABC had a thing about hiring consultants to possibly take over a show then not hiring them. Kay Alden comes to mind.  Nancy was probably hired by ABC to look at AMC and GH around that 1995/96 time frame.  We might not have gotten Guza or McTavish!