Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I've heard this contention many times throughout the decades as well: that Kobe wanted to recreate Texas on TGL when she assumed the reigns there. The story goes that she loved Texas and was furious about losing it, and had no feelings about or loyalty to The Guiding Light, so she had no qualms about trashing TGL. This could explain why she so easily hacked away at the core of TGL and brought in people whom she had known from Texas. 

After all this time, and with no first-hand witnesses around to substantiate the allegation, however, we will probably never know for sure. Peeved fans may have perceived this to be true and started discussing it, so what was originally a rumor become more accepted as fact. 

Personally, I would say that at least, Kobe must have enjoyed working with various members of the Texas team, as evidenced by them ending up on TGL. And based on what we witnessed on-screen, it was clear (IMHO) that Kobe did not care about TGL or its history at all. Does this mean she wanted to recreate the failed NBC soap and graft it onto TGL? Maybe, but I am just as tempted to conclude that she was just not a competent producer; a bad match for TGL simply because she did not understand it or care about preserving its legacy and integrity.

• Members

I always contend Kobe was the bigger problem on GL than Long was.  When watching 1983/4, the show managed to balance the same old with the new quite well.   And imagine being a headwriter..crafting story..and because the EP has issues with performers..having to readjust story.

Examples being as follows:

Amanda (being in business with Josh/Ross..coping with her actions causing a rift with her mom/sister),

Hope (starting a war of Rose's divorce from Alan, tested with Warren, plus dealing with alcoholism).

Hilary (in a popular romance with Jim, potential pairing with newbie Fletcher). 

All 3 axed due to Kobe's inability to work with all 3..imho.  and I know Denise Pence (Katie) blamed Kobe for her dismissal.  And from scenes I've seen of Katie in 1983/4...Long had a good handle on her character.

• Members

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR YEARS! I always thought it wasn't true, because the episode could not be found and no news site posted about the return.

And it baffles me why Guiding Light never shot in 16:9 ratio, when it was clear they had the capabilities to do it in their pre-credits scenes.

Edited by Liberty City

• Members

I ran across James Lipton's interview on the Archive Of American Television site, and I could not sit through it. He was pretentious and arrogant when asked about his time on soaps. The interviewer wanted to go in depth and Lipton quickly cut him off and said " Your spending too much time on this subject and that when he was in daytime he felt he gave it his all, but he has done far greater things compared to that. He did talk a bit about Irna and that she knew how to plot out storylines better than anyone, but said she could not write dialogue to save her life. He then mentioned how she taught him the ropes and was training Agnes Nixon and Bill Bell.