Announcement: New Memberships Suspended

Guiding Light discussion thread

Paul Raven

• Members

I think it's so interesting that Laura Wright (ex-Cassie) asked for a guarantee that if Guiding Light were canceled she could move to As the World Turns. I'm also wondering what else she asked for that they refused, security-wise.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
5 minutes ago, Liberty City said:

I think it's so interesting that Laura Wright (ex-Cassie) asked for a guarantee that if Guiding Light were canceled she could move to As the World Turns. I'm also wondering what else she asked for that they refused, security-wise.

Yeah. I love it when they share little tidbits like that!
I am not going to lie: I hear her point and why she asked but she would have been an odd fit for ATWT and considering what happened to the AW characters who had to be transferred, I would have advised her against that idea at the time.

When she mentioned "security" I first imagined it had to do with episode guarantees. That's usually where negotiations come down to when long-time performers renegotiate contracts. It would technically be true she didn't ask for a raise but it would power up the level of income she would bring in.
Could also have been that she requested longer cycles? Actors can be fired at the end of each 13-week cycles but maybe she asked it be made 26 or something?

• Members
1 minute ago, FrenchBug82 said:

Yeah. I love it when they share little tidbits like that!
I am not going to lie: I hear her point and why she asked but she would have been an odd fit for ATWT and considering what happened to the AW characters who had to be transferred, I would have advised her against that idea at the time.

Does not necessarily mean she'd cross over as Cassie. It would just mean she, as a performer, would crossover, and I do think under the right character she'd work well on the canvas. Now, I don't think she would've fit well on All My Children.

1 minute ago, FrenchBug82 said:

When she mentioned "security" I first imagined it had to do with episode guarantees. That's usually where negotiations come down to when long-time performers renegotiate contracts. It would technically be true she didn't ask for a raise but it would power up the level of income she would bring in.
Could also have been that she requested longer cycles? Actors can be fired at the end of each 13-week cycles but maybe she asked it be made 26 or something?

It may have been an episodic guarantee: it's the same thing Martha Byrne requested, and they refused.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Because I am a gossip I like to read between the lines in interviews like the one LW gave and while it is extremely unsurprising, I found the way she reacted to being asked about Frank Grillo amusingly telling. She said something positive but the subtext was very clear.

6 hours ago, Liberty City said:

Does not necessarily mean she'd cross over as Cassie. It would just mean she, as a performer, would crossover, and I do think under the right character she'd work well on the canvas.

You're right. I projected what happened with Tom Eplin but obviously nothing would have mandated it being Cassie.

Edited by FrenchBug82

• Members

Laura also left the show when they were really starting to lowball actors, which Kim Zimmer  complained about in the press. I guess she knew they weren't going to give her what she felt she deserved.

• Members

Supposedly Laura also quit when she was told the Josh/Cassie pairing was coming, though I think the external factors at the show and network were the big reasons. I think she actually could've sold that story, though.

• Members
28 minutes ago, Vee said:

Supposedly Laura also quit when she was told the Josh/Cassie pairing was coming, though I think the external factors at the show and network were the big reasons. I think she actually could've sold that story, though.

Did she immediately go to GH when she left GL? I always just assumed she was jumping off a sinking ship.

• Members
44 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Did she immediately go to GH when she left GL? I always just assumed she was jumping off a sinking ship.

Yes.

Her last airdate on GL was November 3rd 2005
She first appeared as GH's Carly at the tail end of the November 4th 2005 episode.

• Members
4 hours ago, FrenchBug82 said:

Because I am a gossip I like to read between the lines in interviews like the one LW gave and while it is extremely unsurprising, I found the way she reacted to being asked about Frank Grillo amusingly telling. She said something positive but the subtext was very clear.

You're right. I projected what happened with Tom Eplin but obviously nothing would have mandated it being Cassie.

You got that feeling to when Frank Grillo was mentioned too, huh? 

• Members
15 hours ago, Vee said:

Laura Wright has never played around on job security. She's tough as nails.

I actually admire that in her..but it does come through very clearly in her acting. Now Zimmer never could hide the fact but Reva was supposed to be overbearing at times...Cassie was treated like a virgin saint and she just came off as someone would cut you if crossed. I wish they had played that up when she first came on, and have her be more antagonistic with Reva and everyone else.

No one could have sold the Cassie/Josh/Reva story..LW always played scenes with RN like a sister...but it would have at least had more impact..all of a sudden this wishy washy woman is with Josh and calling herself Cassie...but she was blond and I am sure came cheap.

• Members
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

I never thought Cassie ever worked as a character, so LW's supposed value to the show never made sense to me personally. 

I love LW and I would enjoy watching her but I actually agree that Cassie was not a very compelling character as is.
And I hate everything San Cristobal related so obviously the whole Richard thing says nothing to me.

2 hours ago, Mitch said:

Cassie was treated like a virgin saint and she just came off as someone would cut you if crossed. I wish they had played that up when she first came on, and have her be more antagonistic with Reva and everyone else.

In all fairness I think it sorta was. It was dropped quickly when she became the romantic heroine and the foil for "mean" Dinah but when she first came in she was trying to survive, it was clearly explained she had to be tough to go through the stuff she had gone through (hence her going along with Alan and Annie's plan) even though she had a conscience. But the "I am tougher than I look" thing was an early feature; it was supposed to be the "fire" that the sisters had in common and I strongly suspect that's why LW was cast in that role since that's something she does always bring to her roles

Edited by FrenchBug82