Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Damn..you made me remember that crappy bunch of storylines!!!

Didn't it start out that Antimonious was found in an tomb in Egypt...or was it Mayan..because remember the last shot on a Friday was that Mayan masks glowing red eyes in Marah and Shayne's apartment???(which reminds me, who films something and let it get broadcast if there was no intention of following up on it???) Then it was MAC's father created it and the Spauldings stole it??? But what WAS Antimonious and what did it do???(Oh now I remember the Gay Rave party all the "kids" attended  that they freaked out on it???Which then led to the Green's and Aunt Alex of all people running a drug ring? 

In the middle of the bad writing there was SOMEONE who knew what they were doing in individual scenes. I remember a scene of Rick and Frank talking about how their dad's were never "solid" dads like Ross..which really was the last time anyone admited Ed or Buzz (especially Buzzar) werent the bestest dads on earth and that Ross, NOT Buss should have inherited the mantle of SF Patriarch .

Off topic but at last someone who is a Twin Peaks Return fan....now there was off the wall plotting that actually you could THINK was amounting to something and not thrown at the wall.

• Members

Were Anitmonious and Delerium the same thing? I can't remember. I think Antimonious may have been the pharmaceutical drug and Delerium was what was being sold on the streets. I remember one of the guys from OZ came on as a drug dealer for a couple of episodes. I know I'm alone, but I like how it tied back into Spaulding Enterprises and Olivia and Phillip jockeying for power at the company. The framing was a bit messy, but I thought a lot of the material that came out of that as Phillip went after Olivia was very intense and well done until it descended into Phillip controls the world. I still secretly wished that Phillip had been visiting Elizabeth's grave rather than his secret Springfield model. 

I believe Brad and Alex had been sleeping together. For some reason, Brad was blackmailing Alex about something (was Alex Brad's boss?) and Alex agreed to sign off on the drug production or something along those lines. It was a very passive connection, but the show acted like Alex was dropping drugs in kids drinks at parties. I can't remember how or why Marie Green even was present, but I did enjoy that they had the show had a bunch of recurring characters who would pop in and out of the story. Of course, if that was at the expense of Kiefer and Garrett than it wasn't worth it.

Rick talked sh%t about Ed again when they planned Ed's return in January 2005. Rick stated that he didn't want to be a father like Ed who abandoned his kids when it looked like Rick and Beth might hook up. I also remember that Joey Lupo, of all people, suggested Ross Marler was the kind of guy you'd want in your corner when Ross defended Marah for Maryanne's murder.  

• Members

I never got why they kept Buzz and put the longest running vet, and the patriarch of SF, Ross on recurring. At that point Blake and Ross were the only old style intact family...(three kids all by the same parents) and they had Dinah and Sebastian to cause trouble. I would have had them move into the Bauer house and have them the center of things.  What was up the TPTB ass about that annoying Cooper family?

• Members

@Mitch that's something I've always wondered too? I enjoyed the Coopers in the early 90s when it was just Harley, Frank, and Nadine, but grew to loathe them mid-90s onwards. They were featured too much and stayed taking stories from others. 

By the end, Frank and Coop were the only Coopers I liked. I grew to hate Harley too b/c of the rumors of Ehlers pushing hard for Harley/Gus at all times. 

I'm wondering if TPTB were trying to ensure Justin Deas remained on the show, hence why they made the Coopers the central family down the road, but I did not like it one bit. 

They should've just brought back Michelle, Ed, Holly, and Danny (yes I said it), and slapped all of them in the Bauer home and re-centered the show around them. 

@kalbir to answer your msg, I'm still watching it some, but I've been bouncing around watching a lot of old ATWT and AW lately too. 

• Members

Given that JvD had been there nonstop since 1979, I guess he may have made more money than Deas. They probably thought they could put him on recurring and then use him as they saw fit, not realizing he'd be able to get another job so quickly. 

It's a shame that the job he got ultimately ended up not being a showcase for his talents, but I can't blame him for taking it after how he was treated. 

It does annoy me that ABC wouldn't let him do a cameo for GL at the end. 

• 2 weeks later...