Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

They definitely are (I have the original German DVD set to confirm). I encourage everyone to watch these, as well as the August 1979 episodes that have also been put up. They are the final months for the Dobsons, who I believe ended their writing in December 1979 or January 1980. There is great stuff here, and the scenes with Michael Zaslow and Chris Bernau are not to be missed.

As far as who Doug Marland wrote out first, I suppose it was either Dr. Greg Fairbanks or Dr. Mark Hamilton (as mentioned above). I can't recall if either character had an exit story or just stopped appearing altogether. Dr. Peter Chapman wasn't around for too long after Marland took over, either (but I think Peter did have a proper exit). Holly also exited in September 1980, but like Michael Zaslow, that was the choice of Maureen Garrett versus Doug Marland.

• Members

Question, did Nola ever repair her relationships with Morgan, Hillary, and Kelly fully? I know that she and Kelly became civil as he helped cure her after Silas kidnapped her, but did they become friends afterwards? Just wondering because these people became real sanctimonious with Nola after it was revealed that she lied about Kelly being the father of her child.

• Members

She seemed to get along with Kelly well enough in the few clips of that era that are around (like when Quint was in the hospital after Rebecca made them crash their car). She and Hillary seemed to have little interaction, even when Hillary was dating Nola's brother, but I guess they got along OK.

I think Morgan had little interaction with her as she wasn't in the hospital setting, so their only tie was through Floyd. And by late 1982 or so Morgan and Kelly split for good so her stories were through her family and Josh, who had even less to do with Nola than Kelly did.

Marland was fond enough of Lisa Brown that he worked overtime to make sure she wasn't judged by viewers for her actions with Morgan and Kelly, which meant cutting off most of her interaction with them. They kept her secret (I'm not sure if Floyd ever found out about her lies and schemes and that she'd just been using him for sperm - I'm sure he must have but I don't know when) so as not to hurt Floyd. Nola despised Morgan, utterly despised her, so I give Morgan some credit for moving on as well as she did.

Edited by DRW50