Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That logo was CLASSIC. It replaced a bland typeface of several years. It survived several alterations and two theme songs, also with variations. And while it was replaced with the wonderful HOLD ON TO LOVE as a theme song, the 90's logo was not the best it could be.

But yeah, to each their own--those of us who actually WATCHED GL, and those who have no sense of its history. You HAD to be there. You weren't.

• Members

I guess I just don't see why someone's opinion of a show is invalid if they weren't watching at the time. If posters came here and were belittling the show and the people involved, and they'd never watched, then I'd be upset. If someone hadn't watched the show at the time and just wants to ask questions and give their opinions, I don't think it's a bad thing.

I think GL had the best logos and themes of any soap. I enjoy pretty much all of them - even the disco theme that many deride. And I think that logo is nice too, especially the glitterling gold leaves as the credits roll. I do think it can look a little like a detergent logo at times too. And that's mostly how the comment came across to me - a harmless observation. Not a putdown of GL or its theme.

I'm not trying to jump to anyone's defense. I mostly come here to talk to her and you and everyone else about the show, because GL was my favorite soap and I still like to relive memories and learn new things and see new things. I just don't think she said anything that awful. I'm sure she can speak for herself, so I apologize for speaking for her.

• Members

Whoa! I didn't realize I was starting a war here.

To be clear - I am 35 years old so I did grow up in the 80s. OK, the daytime shows I watched back then were mostly cartoons - but my mother didn't allow my sister and I to watch soaps until we were in our teens. With the advent of YouTube, I started watching the classic soaps online and just fell in love with them.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the 80s. I love how everything was big, colorful and fun. Soaps actually had budgets back then so fans were treated to luxurious weddings and elaborate location shots. TPTB actually still cared about the quality of their daytime dramas. Such a shame those days are gone forever. (OK, some of the hairstyles and clothes are better left in the past, but I digress.)

Just something about that logo reminds me of dishwashing detergent commercials - with all those sparkles in the title card. I didn't mean it in a BAD way. Sorry for expressing an opinion that has absolutely nothing to do with the plots, actors, writers, etc., whatsoever. rolleyes.gif

• Members

Thanks for the clarification, buddy!

I'm just glad that in the end, Nola got the happy ending she always wanted. I do wish though that GL would've brought back Kelly and Morgan in later years. I would've liked to have seen if Morgan would cause ruckus to Josh and Reva. Or how Kelly would've felt about Nola being older and wiser. Would he wonder if Nola was the one and try and pursue her and bust up her and Quint?

• Members

That would have been interesting. I guess JWS was still too busy in primetime to be around during Nola's 95-98 run, but it would have been a cute cameo at the end of the show if he returned to the hospital just as she and Quint popped in.

• Members

She definitely knew who Bert was. After all, Bert (with Kim Zimmer playing Charita Bauer) was a focus of GL's 70th anniversary episode and Wheeler was executive producer at that point. Plus, I thought Zimmer said in her book that Wheeler wanted to reboot GL back to its early days and call it The New Guiding Light. Zimmer was vague on the details for Wheeler's vision.