Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I'm not a Daytime Emmy enthusiast, especially during mid-80s to early 90s, when it seemed like a corrupt system.  However, it would be a shame if Beverly McKinsey was never recognized for her bravura performance during her Country Club speech when she was eviscerating Roger (year unknown to me).

I am reminded of a funny anecdote that Louise Shaffer told in the recent oral history of Ryan's Hope.  She noted that she kept losing the award or the nomination, while others in her cast received multiple nods.  But, when her husband reviewed the scenes that she submitted, he questioned why she always chose scenes that highlighted her co-stars.  To which she was forced to admit that usually selected to submit those scenes where she felt that that her legs or hair looked good, and ignored the context. 

The moral of which is that there are probably multiple reasons why actors were not given academy recognition.  And today, it may be more of a salute that an average of 21,000 people have watched Ms McKinsey's scene on YouTube in the 17 years since it was posted, versus winning some cheap statuette. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

Here it is in one file with 10K views & it's July 8, 1991. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s__jfRQjSc

And, this is the other notable GL/Beverlee day. It's a Locher Rm with Curlee & Simms watching Alex, Mindy, Billy, Roger ... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4edMhrs_jcU

You also might like this. Came across it because Mulcahey wrote it. But, love it for Bev.

Edited by Contessa Donatella
forgot something

• Members

I love me some Marj, but....she could sure chomp away

Please register in order to view this content

Bev was one in a million. I've recently been seeing Marj in action in old Cannon, Mannix, Barnaby Jones, etc. and there's such a difference in her demeanor.  The three Alexandras were such talented  actresses (not to mention Lydia Bruce and Joan Copeland as subs). Each had their own take on Alex, but Marj's was so all over the place at times.

• Members

Alot of GL Daytime Emmy nominations from JFP run were speculated to be the result of block voting.

JFP run was July 1991-May 1995, so that covers 1992-1996 Daytime Emmys. Here are GL's results in those years.

Winners

Maeve Kinkead: Supporting Actress 1992 (also nominated for Lead Actress 1993 and 1995)

Ellen Parker: Supporting Actress 1993

Monti Sharp: Younger Actor 1993 (also nominated 1994)

Michael Zaslow: Lead Actor 1994 (also nominated 1992, 1993, and 1995)

Justin Deas: Supporting Actor 1994, Lead Actor 1995

Melissa Hayden: Younger Actress 1994 (also nominated 1993)

Jerry verDorn: Supporting Actor 1995, 1996 (also nominated 1992 and 1994)

Kevin Mambo: Younger Actor 1996

Nominees

Rick Hearst: Supporting Actor 1992, 1993, 1995

Maureen Garrett: Supporting Actress 1992, 1994

Jeff Phillips: Younger Actor 1992

Beth Ehlers: Younger Actress 1992, 1993

Mark Derwin: Lead Actor 1993

Bryan Buffington: Younger Actor 1993-1995

Peter Simon: Lead Actor 1994

Fiona Hutchison: Lead Actress 1994

Hilary Edson: Supporting Actress 1994

Melina Kanakaredes: Younger Actress 1994, Supporting Actress 1995

Marj Dusay: Lead Actress 1995

Jean Carol: Supporting Actress 1995

Rachel Miner: Younger Actress 1995

Frank Beaty: Supporting Actor 1996

Kimberly J. Brown: Younger Actress 1996

• Members

Okay. Thanks for the reply. 

I have always loved it that when Santa Barbara won it's first Emmy one of the winning episodes was produced by Bridget & the other was produced by Jill. It seemed so appropriate. I mean if you can have something be apt during chaos. 

Anyway, the successful block voting certainly cemented JFP's reputation to future employers. 

• Members

And other than scratching my head over Jeff Phillips, I have zero problems with any of those nominations. 

I'd agree with kalbir---Santa Barbara's endless string of nominations was fishy. 

I've seen this referenced dozens of times....what was the thing with Rausch and Maeve? (I once tried watching her AW stuff---all I can say is she must've been thrilled with GL's wardrobe dept.)

I forget how incestuous P&G's casting was. I never realized until recently that Kathleen Widdoes played both Maeve's and Lisa Brown's mothers on different shows. 

• Members

For a long while Betty Rea was Casting Director for both ATWT & GL.

Paul Rauch & Maeve K., something that today we would call sexual harassment. I don't know details. The decision was that they'd solve the problem by separating them. It was a different time. 

• Members

I actually met Beverlee McKinsey outside of the GL studio. She could not have been nicer. I took a picture of her and treasure it. She chatted for a few moments and then went on her way down West 26th Street. Lovely woman. 

• Members

I have what is probably a rather stupid question, but what exactly is block voting? I don't understand the definition of it as it pertains to the Daytime TV Emmy Awards.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can provide an explanation.

Annette