Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Members

Another incisive and perceptive review. SFT had been anemic for quite a while before Ann Marcus took over as headwriter and reinvigorated the show. While I loathed her work on DAYS, to this day I consider her stint at SFT to be excellent; the best work she's ever done.

Chris Delon, played by Paul Dumont, was such a snooze-fest. I don't remember if he was a creation of Marcus or of the writers who replaced her, but both the character and the actor were listless and bland, and axing him sooner rather than later was a good idea. Our Jo Vincente deserved better.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • Members

So not sure if this is well known, but I was browsing through an old NY Times paper online and it happened to be from Sep 9th 1968. I saw the tv listings and noticed Search and Light were not 30 minutes but still 15. The NY Times even had an advertisement right next to the listings advertising the change to 30 minutes that week, so I figured it might be a mistake. I checked through listings for the entire week and neither show was listed as 30 minutes until September 12th 1968 (Thursday) Add to that I checked a few other online newspapers to verify and they were all the same.

I had always read Sep 9th as the date, it seems it may have happened Sep 12th. Was this common knowledge? As online, most sources state Sep 9th 1968. Not a big deal but for historical soap accuracy I like these details.

Here are the listings just for those shows as seen in several papers from different parts of the country

Mon Sep 9th 1968

12:30 - 1pm Search for Tomorrow (30 minute episode, Guiding Light was pre-empted)

2:30 and 4pm Art Linklater's House Party aired 

Tues Sep 10th 1968

12:30 - 12:45 Search for Tomorrow

12:45 - 1pm Guiding Light

2:30 - 3pm Guiding Light (30 minute ep)

Wed Sep 11th 1968

12:30 - 12:45 Search for Tomorrow 

12:45 - 1pm Guiding Light

2:30 and 4pm Art Linklater's House Party

Thurs Sep 12th 1968

12:30 Search

2:30 Guiding Light

Both 30 Min from this point on

Is it possible this was a mistake or just happened in some parts and not others?

I also posted this exact post in the Guiding Light topic as well.

Edited by will81

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members
Here is an obituary for Robert E. Short:

Short, Robert E.

May 5, 1921 - Jul. 25, 2016

Robert Earl Short, 95, of Sarasota, formerly of Cincinnati, Ohio, passed away peacefully at home on July 25.

Bob served in the U.S Army Signal Corps Photographic Service in the European and Pacific theaters during WWII. After graduating Phi Beta Kappa from Cornell University in 1949, he joined Procter and Gamble Productions and began a distinguished 34 year career.

During Bob's tenure the Company developed many outstanding series which have become television classics: the original Dick Van Dyke Show, The Rifleman, The Rebel, and Car 54, Where Are You?

In Daytime, under Bob's leadership, P&G became one of the world's largest suppliers of television entertainment with shows such as Search for Tomorrow, Guiding Light, As The World Turns, Edge of Night and Another World.

Bob's vision, talent, judgment and taste were recognized by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences in 1983 with an Emmy Award for Lifetime Achievement for "distinguished service to television and the public this medium serves."

Bob is survived by his wife Linda, his children Maralyn, David and Austin, grandchildren Kevin Feige, Lauren Keskinel, Alan, Robin and Tommy Short, Andrew and Jen Short and great grandchildren Ella, Erik, Ali and Leyla.
The family will have a celebration of his life at a later date.

Contributions in honor of Bob to MAP International or Bread for the World will be appreciated.

Guest book located at www.wiegandbrothers.com

Published in Herald Tribune on Aug. 7, 2016
- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/heraldtribune/obituary.aspx?n=Robert-E-Short&pid=180888076#sthash.KJyAjBWn.dpuf

• 3 weeks later...