Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Members

From BOTH OF ME:

”In April, the Bergmans’ daughter, Janet, returned from her long sojourn in Chicago, but she had changed. She was no longer tall and blonde, she was tall and brunette, and the part was being played by Millee Taggart  Janet was still married to Dr. Walton, but he had changed too.  He looked remarkably like a young sailor appearing on Broadway in ON THE TOWN, named Ron Husmann. Along the way, their little boy, Chuck, had been forgotten or lost all together, but then the Bergmans never did have much luck with small boys.  Janet did have two children who manage to survive all the moves.  Their names were Liza and Gary, and they arrived safely in Henderson, played by Kathy Beller and Tommy Norden.”

Dan Walton was dying of leukemia. Millee was pregnant in real life, and that pregnancy became Danny Walton. 

Chuck was Janet’s son with Bud Gardner, and he was indeed forgotten, just as Stu and Marge’s son Jimmy had been forgotten for years until he became their nephew. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for the historical info. I'm not familiar with SFT but I was watching an episode recently where Janet was a little girl. I knew her father, Stu, remained a major character till the end so I was just wondering what ever happened to Janet. 

• Members

Thank you so much for clarifying this. Incidentally I was just watching the final 30 episodes of SFT (the McLearys in Ireland storyline), and I actually loved how focused it was. It dragged out a bit, but it was wonderful storytelling on its own. Such a shame it couldn’t continue on.

The Matt/Malcolm McCleary  saga wasn't my cup of tea. But it wasn't bad. Aside from killing Suzi. I enjoyed Ann Flood as murderous Ella Hobbs. I also liked Kat. Not a fan of shady Judge Jeremiah Henderson or his grandson. SFT did feel gutted. I miss Travis, Stephanie , Wendy. And Sherry Mathis as Liza. The stuff with Bela and Sunni was weird.  SFT still had plenty of life left. All it needed was the right the HW. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I still cannot believe they killed off Suzy so close to the cancellation. Actually, how far ahead did NBC/P&G announce that SFT was being cancelled?

I agree on the Bela/Sunni stuff, but it was kinda cute to watch at the same time. It took me ages to realise that was Lee Godart playing Bela though (

Please register in order to view this content

).

Ella Hobbs was deranged AF. But I guess being so loyal to someone as evil as Judge Henderson (with so little in return) would drive anyone mad.

I also agree it did feel bizarre without the likes of Stephanie, Wendy et al. 

SFT got it's cancellation notice in early November. I think Suzy died around late September/early October.  I agree with you about Sunni and Bela. Bela had a dark side. Had the show continued. It would've made for some good drama. Jo vs Ella was fun. I liked seeing Jo investigating her niece's murder. Putting all the pieces together. It was lightly hinted that Jo might had been going though PTSD. Or maybe it was me reading into things.

• Members

You definitely weren’t reading into it. There was an episode from Thanksgiving 1986 where Jo was struggling just after the whole Ella ordeal, and finally she just broke down completely just as Stu walked in. Was a very touching scene with the two of them.

• Members

The problem with the final few years of SFT was the constant regime changes.  One cant fully invest if the tone and stories change so much.

Who knows what Pam Long/Addie Walsh would have done with the show had it not gotten canceled a few months into their stint.  It seemed like they were tying up previous stories and the best part was Jo/Stu had a lot of focus in those final months. 

• Members

This has been discussed many times but I believe Search's demise was hastened by the constant turnover of writers/producers, each with a different vision.

instead of constantly adding new characters they needed to fix the core.There were viable characters who were forgotten,

Gary Walton, Laine Adamson, Danny Walton.Tom Bergman

SORAS Patti's kids as new teens.

Have new characters interact with them.

By 1986 apart from Jo and Stu from the 50's only Liza and Sunny had been around longer than a few years.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Thank you so so much. This just answered a LOT of plot questions for me.

It didn’t even occur to me until I read those recaps that Bela was the final person that Wendy saw before she disappeared, as well as him being the creepy head guy during the circus stuff with Ryder/Danny/TR. I now know what you meant about him having a dark side (which obviously they toned down A LOT in the final months).

It also disappoints me a bit that not more fuss was made about Wendy’s disappearance apart from the obvious loose ends - that seemed to fade away after a few weeks. Incidentally, another question... how did Stephanie die?