Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Members

I think I’ve chatted with that same accessible actor on FB, and yes, the subject of Mary elicited virtually no response. 

Entertainment reporter Nelson Aspen only has the best things to say about his mentor, Mary. He was backstage at SFT and also day played as Albert.  Aspen speaks negatively of the accessible actor, though. Hmmmmm. 

Ann Williams told her kids that Mary was jealous of her and got her fired. Mary was her son’s godmother.  But Ann seemed a bit paranoid in real life as well. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Oh yeah, I forgot about Nelson Aspen.  He has said positive things.  Even though I am aware he truly did know her and worked at SFT,  he still comes off more like a fan than a colleague.   

The funny thing is, if Mary's costars hated her,  that's perfectly okay.  If they were indifferent to her, that's okay.  If they loved her, that's okay too.  But why be so cryptic about it?   It just seems fishy.  

Edited by Neil Johnson

Can’t remember if this has been discussed on here before but if you go to anitakeal.com there is about an hour of SFT clips from 1980 featuring Anita Keal. She played Mignon, Travis Sentell’s mother. On her page, there is a link that says Search For Tomorrow. What a wierd storyline with Tante Helene. 

• Members

Some thoughts on the above video

The fact that Anita Keal has an hour of Search clips on her website reinforces my belief that there are lot of episodes/scenes from earlier days in the possession of actors and BTS personnel. If only they would be generous enough to share!

The production values of SFT at that time pur current shows to shame - the detailed sets/lighting etc

The Corringtons were ahead of the game with the voodoo story- by the 80's most soaps were going for these left of center stories, usually to the detriment of the show. I'll give SFT a pass as the got the mood right. 

I think they went too far in focussing on the Sentells - they needed more of a balance with the regular folk back in Henderson.

• Members

I always think of that uploader who put the closing credits of an episode of ATWT from 1976 or so that his mother (?) had been in and had a copy of - I still wish the full version had shown up.

We see so little of this time period. It does feel like the show went off the rails somewhat, but still not to the point where CBS would need to cancel it. I don't know how much of that was down to P&G's usual stubbornness, but something should have been worked out.

• Members

I would love to go back and watch the Corrington's work on SFT again.  Especially their early months, when they were transitioning the show to their vision.  I remember enjoying it and thinking they had added new life to the show.  And the voo-doo stuff didn't go too far.  It didn't go truly supernatural.  I always felt the Corringtons left enough doubt that the audience could either believe it, or not believe it.  I think that type of story  should always be handled that way on soaps, unless we're talking Dark Shadows.   A "normal" soap opera should never go truly supernatural or sci-fi, but they can toy with it along the edges, as long as they leave room for doubt.

Remember the Corringtons were the creators of Texas.  They were hired to create the new show, because of what they had done on SFT.  But their plans for Texas were totally screwed by NBC, P&G, and Paul Rauch with his insistence the Beverly McKenzie become the star of the show.  I think what we saw in the early months of Texas was nothing like what the Corringtons really wanted to do, and would have done without network interference. 

• Members

I think the Corringtons were brilliant on SFT but it was too much too soon and the older audience didn't cotton to the New Orleans angle. But Travis and Liza kept the show going.  Texas was a hot mess.  The Corringtons lasted a hot minute as HW of Capitol, OLTL and GH. GL even hired Joyce for a few months during the Doug Anderson head writing debacle.  Maybe the Corringtons should have stayed on SFT and expanded it to an hour.  They found their footing after they moved the action back to Henderson.

• Members

Well, the action in New Orleans was always intended to be temporary.  It was just setting up the family history of the Sentell and Tourners.  

Do you remember when Martin Tourner returned to New Orleans on a business trip or something, and hooked=up with an old girlfriend who was a prostitute, and she was Jo's doppelgänger?  Played by Mary Stuart.  It was wild, watching Mary play that character.   It may have been Mary Stuart's first scene in bed with a man.  Not sure about that.  

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

I saw it, and I thought she did a good job.  But it was completely unexpected. 

I'm a little surprised the episode isn't on Youtube.  It was probably in 1979, and P&G started preserving episodes that year.   Maybe it will pop up sometime.  Does anyone know the dates of the earliest available groups of episode on YouTube?

• Members

Does anyone know why Tante was having Mignon target Liza? By that I mean, what was she to gain? 

I feel like I need to go back to soap Tumblr and refresh myself on the Mignon arc. 

I (too) don't mind soap veering a teeny bit into the supernatural where it is believable. 

SFT is one of the shows were I wish more clips pre-1984 would pop up.