Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There were several times in the show's history, when Mary asserted TPTB were trying to phase-out Jo.  The last was during the final couple of years of the show's run, when Mary thought they were elevating Kate McCleary to take Jo's place.  Over the years, Mary seemed a bit paranoid about it, perhaps justifiably.  

It's interesting none of the former SFT actors ever says much about Mary in interviews.  Typically there's some sort of evasive vague generally positive statement like, "dear Mary" or "Oh yes, Mary."  But never anything specific -- no stories about her, no memories that include her in any detail -- nothing.  The longest discussion of Mary I remember in an interview was John Aniston briefly taking about traveling with her to promote the show's move to NBC. But nothing specific about whether he enjoyed working with her, their relationship, etc.   It makes me wonder if they all disliked her, but don't want to admit it.  Or if perhaps she was really a problem at times, but again they don't want to admit it, because she was such a fan favorite.  I did one time read online a really terrible criticism of her, but the source was undisclosed.  So I have no idea if it was true.  It would be interesting to know how her colleagues felt about working with her.  She's been gone long enough, they could be honest without facing much backlash.  

I have heard a couple of positive comments regarding Mary from some Guiding Light actors.  I believe one was Michael O'Leary.  

• Members

Interesting observation. Think about all the colleagues you work with. How many are truly beloved? Just a few. Most of them are nice enough. Then there are a few who aren’t liked much at all. My guess is that Mary  Stuart fell somewhere in that middle, like most of us. I do remember her complaining about being marginalized at multiple times over the years.

I remember when Macdonald Carey from DOOL passed away, and there was an outpouring of memories from his colleagues. Even a few years after he passed away, a Christmas episode ended with Alice Horton (Frances Reid) staring out the window, and on the screen, they superimposed the message, “Merry Christmas, Mac. We still miss you!” When Reid died, there wasn’t the same kind of sentiment.

Edited by Chris 2

• Members

While we're talking about Mary and whether or not she was well-liked enough - when she died, SOD mentioned that a year or two before, she had been given an Emmy in a private ceremony, presumably with some of her colleagues involved (I can't remember the article). For someone who was the central figure of a soap, wrote an autobiography, recorded an album and toured, she seemed to also be a relatively private woman (for instance, she never gave interviews about her battles with cancer), so that probably impacts memories of her.

• Members

Didn't Robert Mandan return for one of the "Search for Tomorrow" anniversary party during the years he was on "Soap." I feel like I've seen a picture of that. By that time, the late 1970s, there weren't many people left but Mary Stuart and Larry Haines from that era. 

I think a lot of the soap stars who were there a long time felt very protective of their shows, and naturally their roles on the show. They certainly had more years with the company then so many other people who came and went. You read that Victoria Wyndham article and there is that same vibe. I think there's a reference to Mary Stuart suggesting that they use the theme music for one of her love triangles, maybe Sam / Jo / Tony. Jo would hear the other man's tune based on whichever man she was with to let the audience know she was also thinking of the other man. I know Susan Seaforth Hayes has talked about making suggestions that have received mixed reactions. 

It's really great to see some of that 1984 material. I know Ellen Barrett's work isn't beloved, but I do think that she, or maybe the writers, do seem to commit to certain character types that were established on the show. Victoria Windsor seems to be a successor to Aja Doyan as the TI scientist. I don't think much happened with her and Hogan because he left in the fall and she was gone before he came back. It was nice to see the end of Travis Sentell. So it seems like this was more like a soap opera death than an actual death. I wonder if the body they buried would eventually be revealed to be Ringo's. Unless someone has more info about the followup. 

The train accident was neat for that moment where Sunny had to deliver the news. That was incredibly effective.

It's great seeing the early stuff between Adair / Chase / Alec. I think if they could have kept any combination of actors for a substantial length of time that stuff could have worked. I really wish we saw more of Kevin Conroy as the sort of sh%t stirrer he seems like in these episodes. By the time the AOL episodes roll around, he is a bit more tortured by Alec's death and pining for Adair. I don't get all of the background story between the characters. Did Adair know the Kendall brothers before coming to town? I'm pretty sure Alec and Chase come in June 1984 after the casting purge (Ringo, Warren, Brian, Travis and Kristen), Adair and Alec's conversation seems much deeper than several weeks. 

I either didn't know or had forgotten that Jo went back to college. That was cute. 

• Members

Mary gave an interview to SPW about her cancer battle a few years before she passed away.  She had quite a bit to say.  I don’t know as I’d label her as “private.”  Her autobiography certainly revealed quite a bit, including infidelity and relationships outside of marriage. She was NOT Jo, LOL. 

• Members

If you read her book, you can  see how and why Mary was so protective of Jo and the show itself.

In the early days they were all learning together and having input into scripts and direction.

When the Hursleys came along and there was anew director/producer she realized how the balance could change.

She was told to butt out basically and felt that her involvement had been misinterpreted as interference.

• Members

Just the typical vague brief comments that everybody else tends to use, when asked about Mary.  It's almost comical how evasive people are, when Mary's name comes up in interviews.  Almost like they've taken a vow of silence (I'm exaggerating a little. LOL).  I've heard former colleagues be very open about working with other soap stars -- John Bernadino, MacDonald Carey, Susan Lucci, Connie Ford, Susan Flannery, etc., etc., etc.  But when Mary Stuart's name comes up, it's a quick, "Oh, dear Mary" (or something similar) and that's it.  

A couple of years ago, I was engaged in a Facebook conversation with a former SFT actor, who is very accessible to fans on social media.  We had several pleasant exchanges over a couple of weeks, and he/she seemed eager to discuss career related memories.  Then I ask her/him to share a few memories about working with Mary, and I got a three or four word response. Nothing negative, really.  But negativity was implied in the brevity.  It was clear she/he was uncomfortable with the topic, so I dropped it.  

By the way, I want to say that I am a huge Mary Stuart fan.  I think she was an amazing talent.  That's the real reason I've been interested in hearing more about her.  Then I noticed how ominous discussion of her seems to be.   It's very puzzling.