Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Members

Ultimately, the Corringtons were a flash in the pan. They were best on SFT with some laughable plots; but they did revive the show.  Network execs thought they were brilliant but Texas was a bomb, never should have been made. Unoriginal, unfit for a setting for Beverly; and they were fired after six months.. They failed on Capitol after six months, failed on OLTL after six months, failed on GH after three months.  Joyce was hired on GL during Phelps/Doug Anderson time but was fired after several weeks.  She also was on the Santa Barbara writing team for a few months before being fired. They ended up writing Superior Court.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Nancy Pinkerton talked about Patti in an old 1977 mag interview saying that the she was an 'interim Patti Tate ' but didn't know it at the time. She says it was her first television job, she was inexperienced and the director was a bully and she felt she was treated badly. She states she was asked back 4 times but refused as that director was still there.

I recall in Both of Me' Mary talked about a director that she clashed with around that time - maybe the same person?

Maybe Nancy was non contract as they wanted to see how she worked out or were waiting for Abigail Kellogg to become available?

• Members

So the other night I stumbled across a Tumblr full of SOD synopses for SFT, dating back to at least the 70s. And I promptly fell down a massive rabbit hole reading them all. If any of you are interested, they’re here: https://classicsodsft.tumblr.com/

From this, I have a few questions:

• I know Suzi was Eunice’s daughter, and John Wyatt was her main father figure. But was he actually her biological father?
  • Was Suzi born onscreen?
  • How long was Lewis Arlt on SFT for as David?
  • I know John James played Tom Bergman in the late 70s, but did he reprise the role when Tom returned in the early 80s?

Cheers in advance!

• Members

I can't answer all your questions, but:

-- Suzy's bio-father was Doug Martin.  So Suzy and Scott Phillips were half-siblings.  Also interesting -- because of the deaths of Doug and eventually Eunice, Suzy was actually raised by two people (John and Stephanie) who were not biologically related to her.  

-- John James did not return to the role of Tom Bergman.  If I'm not mistaken, Tom was played by Robert Lupone, when the character returned.  

• Members

Millee Taggart confirmed in a recent interview that her writing career started on Search when she ghost wrote scenes for her character, Janet.  She said it started during Ann Marcus's writing tenure in 1974.  She implied that she later continued to write the show during Ellis/Hunt stint using a male name, possibly Jackson Chase.

In the same interview, Courtney Simon (who played Kathy) revealed that Ellis/Hunt hired her as script writer on the doctors and she used the pen name Kate Brooks (named after her kids). Millee also wrote scripts at the same time as Heather Matthews, I believe.  Courtney recounted that when Ellis/Hunt were replaced by Lawrence and Ronnie Konnor, Lawrence called Courtney's house and when Peter Simon answered, Lawrence asked to speak with Kate which confused Peter who didn't know Courtney was using an alias. Peter thought Lawerence was calling about 3 year hold Kate Simon Hall (who's now a script writer on GH).

While Millee didn't reveal the following I believe she initially wrote ATWT under a pen name (KC Collier?)

• Members

Personally that whole storyline was what got me hooked on watching SFT episodes on youtube. I’ve heard that P&G played silly buggers with CBS and NBC over SFT, and the affiliates had issues as well with timeslots. I’m not a betting man personally but I would wager theoretically that if it had been in a better timeslot during that storyline, ratings would have gone up massively.

• Members

Jeanne Glynn was a creative writer who loved soaps.  She was with SFT for nearly two years and most of that time was head writer either alone, with CF or briefly with Madelyn David.  Her head writing tenure turned out to be the longest of anyone who came after her most of whom lasted under a year.  The problem was some of the casting and Ellen Barrett who seemed to want to turn SFT into Ryan's Hope.  Too many red heads running around, some bad casting (started by Joanna Lee who cast Kevin Conroy as a straight leading man and he was obviously neither) and supplanting Jo with Kate McCleary.  Not sure why Barrett couldn't get a little more creative and NOT center the show around an Irish family.