AMC: Wednesday, September 2, 2009

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

David's gut slouches towards domination yet another day. Nothing will stop it, no man, no Martin, no liquid diet, no protein shake. At the center of our universe, there is only David, in his ill-fitting hospital scrubs (and tunics, and untucked Michael E. Knight memorial shirts), hands on hips, gut flush with fury, bent on revenge against all of Pine Valley. Our Machiavelli, ladies and gentlemen. Try not to look below the neck.

• Members

I'm surprised that noone mentioned the new script writer today - James Kahn. R! What'd you think?

I hated how Amanda lashed out at Liza for telling David - even though she had a gun pointed at her face! Amanda - ugh. I'm so on David's side right now in all of this - gun or no gun. haha

• Members

Oy.

Posting endlessly (and pseudo-poetically?) about a "gut" lost its novelty and "humor" (if we want to call it that) long ago. Second, I think it's absolutely hilarious that posts are being made like that here, on the Soap Opera Network (and the posts seem to have generated so many laughs!) because lord knows this board's notoriously oversensitive posters get their undies in a twist about "ageism" at the feet of Brian Frons ALL THE TIME. We seem to constantly wonder and whine why people like "old and matronly" Erika Slezak get pushed to the backburner while model after model is cast on every show. Is it any wonder why networks do this, given the apparent shallowness of its viewers? Why, that shallowness can be found right here on these forums! It seems like physical appearance DOES mean a lot to this boards' posters, as they sure waste enough energy commenting and critiquing them and going on endlessly about a damned "gut."

Not my point, but as an aside: hell, if I was 50 years old, and a man, I'd be thanking the Sweet Lord Jesus everyday if I looked as good as VI does now, at that age.

• Members

I don't think Vee is upset with VI having a gut, I think they were just amused by it, and then people commented, so Vee is making more comments. I think it's all just a laugh. I don't think Vee is saying VI should be fired because he has a bit of a stomach.

I like VI and I think he looks fine the way he is. I just wish the writing weren't so awful.

• Members

Although let's be honest here, if it were, say, Bobbie Eakes suddenly piling on the pounds, words would be said. Why is it in soaps that women are encouraged to remain rail thin while the men are allowed to let themselves go when, considering soaps are targeted towards females, it should be the reverse? GH going HD forced Steve Burton into dropping a ton of weight (or so he said), but I doubt that was a mandate from Frons so much as a vanity thing, but in general men in soaps are allowed to let their physiques go to pot while women are scrutinised (hello, Genie Francis!)

Sorry, I've gone way off topic here, but I needed a rant.

• Members

ITA. Women on the soaps, especially on ABC, get no or little leeway when it comes to weight gain, while the men get pack on the pounds. MEK is another AMC actor who has packed on the pounds and no one has said apparently anything. Tyler Christopher looks the Pillsbury Dough Boy and is still on the front burner. No way could any of the GH actresses get away with that.

Archived