Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep, Mary Jane will go to find her cat in the potting shed (again, that Newman security is filled with incompetent people) and she will see Zapato carrying Kitty's tail in his mouth, so she'll go after him since the Kitty is the only thing that apparently loves her.

• Members

It's either that:

1) They found themselves without a "shock and awe" moment for that day, so they had to come up with something since they think talking is stupid and plot-plot-plot is the way to go.

2) They think we are stupid and that we don't understand that Mary Jane is crazy, so they need to go to extreme measures to show it to us.

• Members

Poor Patty. She had so much promise. But then again, it's not like the writers will take interest in rebuilding the Williams family.

They can only write for one family in frontburner and the other one in a bit of a lesser role. Everyone else is just filler.

• Members

This is more Sheffer recycling. Remember on ATWT, when Carly was left a horse which was worth big money? Then, to remind us of how crazy Julia was and how thrilling this was supposed to be, she poisoned the horse.

All that is left is for MJ to shoot a corpse.

I think we will see Adam dead within 6 months, and Mary Jane will show up and shoot his corpse.

Either her or Ashley.

Crazy, pathetic female characters are fun in Shefferland.

• Members

Sorry to just throw this in here, but I wanted to respond to these from the episode thread, and didn't want to incur Toups' wrath.

Like I said, I have a lot of negative things to say about the show right now - but I've been in this boat so many times over my soap-viewing life, it just feels normal. What has bothered me more than that in the process of all of this, is that the Y&R threads really became "Us vs. Them" for a little while there. So much so that if somebody went from loving the show to not liking it, there were posts like "YAY! We converted another one!"

Again, I say - it's a TV show. Somewhere out there right now (believe it or not) is at least ONE fan who thinks this is the best show on the air right no. There's also somebody out there in the world who thinks "Real Housewives of Atlanta" is the best show ever made. There's no accounting for taste.

I love this board. I love most of the people who post here everyday. I've been coming here for years, and always loved how respectful everyone is (for the most part). I hate that people like Alvin are miserable with this show right now - it's a huge bummer. If any of us had the power, we'd make things right for the people unhappy with the show. We're all still soap fans, at our core. We all just want these shows to survive, in spite of the fact they probably won't. But there's no need to criticize someone for liking something about the show. It's like with Tammin - look, I think she's horribly miscast, and not a very good actress. I also feel that way about Angelina Jolie most of the time - but there are people out there who absolutely worship her and will fight me to the death on that. Who am I to begrudge that? The poor Colleen fans on this board say something about her, and ten people post with the "eye-rolling emoticon". Look - I agree. I think she's terrible. But she struck a chord in some fans, and they connect with her, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Blah, blah, blah. I just wish people could voice their opinions without the "Us vs. Them" mentality. Instead, we have people posting less because they just don't want to deal with the venom. And that's REALLY disappointing to me, especially on a board I've loved so much over the years.

Okay, end of rant. :-)

• Members

LOL. But that gets us into an us-vs-them situation again. (Now someone will nominate Alvin to run against him).

I love SON most when folks respect one anothers' opinions, too. And I admit the negativism is contagious sometimes. Because I am "dumb and blind", I prefer to focus on the positives. But even when we're awash in negativism here, and I'm seething (as I have been lately with some of these plot twists), I can't quit SON. It is the most literate place on the net that I have found about soaps.

• Members

God, I hope it doesn't build to that. LOL! But actually, y&rfan's post does NOT promote us vs. them. Why? Because y&r fan, a longtime VERY vocal Tammin fan on this board, agreed with me even when I FLAT OUT SAID that I, personally, am not a Tammin fan. So it actually proves that people who are on completely different sides of the fence don't need to knock each other down because they have a different perspective. So y&rfan's support actually proves we DON'T need an us vs. them theory.

I agree. It's the only place I've found where character and story is so heavily discussed. Sometimes to the detriment of my enjoyment of the show - but hey, that's the price you pay for intelligent discussion. :)

• Members

Why would anyone need to say "Alvin For President?" I mean, it's obvious that he's right about the direction of the show.

And the whole reason why this thread was created and invented was to talk about everything that wasn't in direct correlation with the daily episodes.

And I wholeheartedly admit to saying negative things to certain posters about their love for Y&R or certain stories and by all means, if I hurt someone's feelings, well my apologies are in order.

I feel like people are getting really sensitive. Criticism exists for a reason. Just because someone likes Y&R doesn't mean that everyone has to like it. Or vice-versa. But these forums, this thread exists because it gives the viewer the opportunity to express thoughts and feelings, no matter how good they are or how harsh and cruel it is. I have had my favorites, no matter how ridiculous the favorites are, bashed continuously on this board. But I've yet to believe that means war.

People who want to post positive things in this thread and any other are more than welcome to do so. But to say this is an "us vs. them" among the body of posters here is extremely unfair and, may I also add, very biased.

There is no "us vs. them" where the "Fans of Y&R" vs. "Fans of Y&R Who Hate The Crap Stories" are concerned. But if the "us vs. them" you are referring to is "Fans of Y&R Who Hate The Crap Stories" vs. Maria, Scott, and Hogan, well then you can forget that ever changing, for many reasons already stated in this thread. They have already proven that they could care less about writing a cohesive, interesting show. And yeah, you could say, "Well 'they' could care less what you think because you're just some kid behind a message board handle." Yep. Damn right. But just because the writer in workshop refuses to take his notes from the reader home doesn't make those notes any less valid.

And I choose to air my thoughts about Y&R because I feel like this show is dying. And although I was never too emotionally attached to Y&R growing up, for many years I've respected and understood how important Y&R is to the genre, how the show need not give up on itself because of what was happening across the board.

This kind of writing is lazy, shallow, and offensive to even the average viewer. I think that goes above Tammin Sursok, Vail Bloom, Christel Khalil, Daniel Goddard, all of the actors we complain about. I feel THEY deserve better than this too.

Exactly!

• Members

I posted this in the ratings board but I need to post this here also. Judging by the ratings, Lane is indeed a big draw. Let's give MAB & the team credit for what is good on the show right now, mainly Lane/Winters family. It's the best story on the show, the days it was featured, ratings bumbed up. DG and CK are doing great. It's about family and overcoming a "real-world" challenge.

That said, I wish that MAB would understand that she needs to write all of her stories like Lane. The Winters are acting as a family unit during this crisis. Why can't the other stories have real emotion driving them? I suppose the problem with P3 is TB's inability to act. Though it's also the unrealistic writing for Jill, Kay, Nina, etc. P3's reveal should have sent deeper and far more lasting shockwaves. Jill should still be furious with P3 and Cane. The healing has come too quickly. Drama is about conflict. Why rush through the good part?

Archived