Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly.

I'm not interested in any rationalizations as to why MAB and her henchmen are staying, anyone can see the damage they're reeking on this show at the moment. Many of these same problems have been there since day one, they're just intensifying now.

And why should we give them time? We simply don't know if they'll ever get better, and chances are, they won't.

Again, if this show is ending in a few years, kindly return it to one of Bill Bell's proteges. Not his inexperienced daughter-in-law and her outsider Co-HW's that have flopped elsewhere. Bill Bell must be spinning in his grave as to who is writing and running his show right now.

• Members

It CAN though, the right people have to be hired.

Would you rather suffer for a prolonged period with this regime of hacks?

Anyway, my ideal situation would be the BELL'S returning this show to one of Bill Bell's proteges to write, not Sony or anyone else.

Again, don't give me this MAB and Company are they best we've got talk. They aren't, you and I both know that.

Sheffer and Hamner ARE recycled daytime hacks, so...

• Members

And how would someone who is NOT a part of the Bell pedigree not have a chance at improving Y&R?

Look at the Head-Writers with "Bell Pedigrees" who either SUCK(ED) or are(were) perfectly content with SUCKING:

Brad Bell(B&B, Y&R)

Maria Arena Bell(B&B )

Sally Sussman-Morina(Y&R, her "baby" Generations, Days of our Lives)

Michael Minnis(Y&R, B&B )

Kay Alden(Y&R, B&B )

Jack Smith(Y&R, B&B )

James E. Reilly(Y&R, B&B )

Yeah, we had an outsider shake up the boat, but it was the wrong outsider. Lynn Marie Lethal was not what Y&R(or any self-respecting soap) needed. But someone outside of soaps(maybe someone from film, primetime, or the stage), who isn't afraid of taking risks, pissing off the audience(for the RIGHT REASONS), and entertaining the masses while making we connoisseurs of soap think about themes, relationship, characterization, etc.

Yeah, it could get alot worse, but I'm willing to welcome aboard any writer that at least TRIES to successfully pull off something engaging and wonderful. If these people(the Head-Writers) don't want to DO their jobs, then invest in the stock market and give these shows to someone who want to use this medium for excellent entertainment.

• Members

I agree with this too, but if this crap about daytime is ending in 5 yers is true, they're better off giving it back to a Bill bell protege, IMO.

I totally agree that Y&R needs someone talented with some innovative and good ideas. I'm willing to take that risk too, I just don;t want this writing regime to remain on this show until its death.

• Members

I don't know. Many here claim Y&R is a "brand", with a distinctive style, traditions, etc.

If that is a valued part of Y&R, your chance of getting that is still probabilistically greater with an insider than an outsider. Although your list of failed Bell proteges is pretty jaw-dropping!

ETA: Although I think the Sri Rao experience at GH Night Shift II was pretty great. So, if we can generalize anything from that, I do agree that the right outsider (Sri was a long-time fan of GH) could do wonders.

• Members

I know this won't make serious long term repairs but I still think they need to get rid of Sheffer. With Sheffer gone they may at least get back to more of the Y&R basics. His writing style is anathema to most of the Y&R basics.

• Members

Everyone knows I don't agree with half the crap Bibel inserts into her hastily written column, but MarkH mentioned how depressing the show has become for almost no reason and nothing being on the show that balances anything out. Well, Biblel agrees with him. Just thought I'd post it here:

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/deep-soap/deep-soap-suddenly-this-summer/#more-62668

• Members

I don't know about that, Mark. Look at how Wendy Riche revitalized GH, she did wonders for that show. I know many would argue she was awful and Gloria Monty was the best GH EP in history, but for the time when Riche came to GH, she really did improve that show. Not to mention, she got it 5 Emmy wins and brought on a great HW, Claire Labine.

I think any outsider EP who comes to Y&R will realize they are walking into something special. A show that is the most beautiful show in daytime history. A show that needs a very strong and gifted talented writer with fresh and exciting ideas. Not some recycled joke. Even though it is better to believe an insider may be of more help, in most cases, their view is too skewed to help because they're trapped between the Bill Bell way and the way of his successors so if they were of such great help, shouldn't they already have worked to prevent the current regime from damaging the show even more?

If you take an EP who is able to understand the show and what it needs to be successful, they can do it. This is very possible.

I think Sri Rao would make a great HW at GH.

• Members

Also, I want to say, Bill Bell ran his show and he had a great EP for years, Ed Scott. I think the problem here is, it doesn't matter how many people worked under those man, Bell and Scott ran the show and the mentality of "well it will always be like this at Y&R" goes along with that and I think that is a problem with all of the Bill Bell proteges, they were there to learn it but that doesn't mean they were able to master it without those two men there. That could be applied in any show or organization.

If you look at AMC, Wisner Washam, Lorraine Broderick and Megan McTavish all trained under Nixon, yet they were no where near as successful as Agnes Nixon. Washam had the show in 4th place when he was HW, Broderick couldn't get the show any where near where McTavish had it and McTavish was only good under a very strong EP, and all of her returns where not very successful.

Kay Alden may not have been as good as her mentor, but she was a lot better than those who replaced her. I'd welcome her back to Y&R, but it has to be with a new EP, who will lead the show back to where it belongs.

• Members

Ed Scott was nothing more than Bill Bell's executor, he had no say in storylines when Bill was writing the show. As soon as Bill stepped down, Scott tried to own the writers, Kay Alden in particular at Y&R, and his ass got fired the first time because of that. Bell sided with his writing protege. Scott would go on take this crap to a whole other level at DAYS.

What Y&R needs, is both a visionary EP and HW. And unless you're Bill Bell, you shouldn't be allowed to be both EP and HW. There needs to be a balance of powers so someone doesn't have too much power and there's something of a checks and balances system.

I suggest a producer from primetime or films that gets compelling melodrama as EP being paired with a very good soap opera writer as HW.

Archived