Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Members

Latham would be better suited not writing for television at all. She sucked at both Y&R and PC in daytime, and I've never been fond of her primetime work.

Likewise with Scott Hamner.

Hogan Sheffer is such an ANTI-SOAP writer, he shouldn't be in daytime, especially when no one can seen to reign him in enough for very long. He should not be writing daytime soaps.

Inexperienced Maria Arena Bell isn't qualified or talented enough to be any show's Head Writer.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know who I'm interested in? Michael Minnis.

He's Brad and Kay's Co-HW at B&B, but most of his training and years have been spent at Y&R. I believe he started in production at Y&R in 1990, before Bill took him in as a Script Writer in like 1994. I know B&B isn't very good, but that's Brad and Kay's show, clearly.

Anyway, since he's Co-HW there, he must at least have some training and experience crafting some long stories. And he KNOWS Y&R, and he's probably more qualified than say Natalie Minardi Slater in that regard.

Anyway, if the Bells wanted to change the writing regime at this show, and they needed someone, I would be willing to give Michael Minnis a try. He knows Y&R and practically grew up in his professional life at this show.

If people like Trent Jones, Patrick Mulcahey, or other talented people in the daytime arena don't want to Head Write this show, why not give someone like Minnis a chance?

• Members

Bill Bell loved her, she got to act and write for Y&R at the same time. No one's ever done that, though Bill, for obvious reasons, wouldn't let her write for her character, Julia Newman.

I think she would be an inspired choice, she has HW training, and for nearly a decade as a script writer at Y&R, she wrote for all of these core and essential characters that are on the show. She has at least a basic understanding of who they are. She's also still friendly with the Bell's, haven written for B&B just a few years ago.

Her style might be a little campy, but in a good way. I'd be willing to give her a chance as well.

• Members

Color me NOT interested. LOL.

He's been around B&B and Brad for too long.

And besides, why would he want to leave a job where all he has to do is pull up the word document from six months ago and pass it along to the Breakdown/Outline Writer?

Meg Bennett = Love. Her Sunset Beach was easily the best soap on NBC. Coupled with NBC/Reilly's camp mandate and Tomlin's penchant for stunts, she still somehow made all those characters seem true and real with motivation. As I've said before, the show clearly went into a less character-motivated direction when Margaret DePriest took over.

AND She's too pretty to be with Elton John.

• Members

Be prepared for record lows all the time. They will fluctuate, people will think it's business as usual, nothing new there... And then... BAM! One day it'll hit 2.5! :lol: And some will be like: What was that?! :blink:

What was that? Are you kidding me? Sh!t produces sh!tty ratings.

• Members

He's really talented but I also blame him for many things which are wrong at B&B.

Minnis is great with scripts, he along with Jack Smith basically penned all Lauren & Sheila on B&B in the 90s, and has the classic Bell style. He's however highly behind the speeding up of stories... Even when Y&R used to go by a snail-pace in the late 90s/early 2000s his episodes really stood out because there were often quick cuts between scenes and stories got pushed: same things happened when he returned to B&B but then in a higher rank; the following crescendo which more or less is now typical is all his idea: scene 1 (often very short and taking off from previous episodes), scene 2 (a tad longer) - back to scene 1 - then leading into opening...

If done right (and in the right places) this allows faster storytelling bt it also hinders storytelling a lot if you overdo it and the headwriter (Bradley) then changes the focus of the show after each story is done much too quickly.

• Members

I'd never miss a chance to mention Sunset Beach. That said, her time as HW was great, and maybe she would be an okay fit for Y&R. However, the influence of her husband is what is making me a bit worried.

• Members

LOL! But hasn't that been B&B for the past 5 years, and in some cases, all of it's run? LOL

I think she could add some vibrancy to the show, and she's still good friends with some of the cast from what I hear. I would definitely be willing to give her a chance.

Guza might be her husband, but their styles are widely different. Meg has a lot of heart to her writing style. I think she could add some innovation to Y&R while keeping true to its roots, since she's written for the show before.

• Members

I would let her at Y&R as long as her and Guza never, EVER talk shop. He can't influence her whatsoever... but - what happens when Y&R and GH are up for Outstanding Drama Emmies? I think the tension would destroy a marriage.

• Members

SOAPSFOREVER mentioned how dense the characters are and how this show lacks heart. Not to mention how atrocious the dialogue has gotten lately.

Labine and Curlee were two people he mentioned that could restore both elements to the show, but since neither probably wants to work in daytime again, and Maria thinks she's saving this show ( :rolleyes: ), it's not gonna happen.

But damn it, we need a strong Head-Writer in there.

Archived