Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Members

Meg took over at Co-HW of SuBe after Guza left, and their writing styles couldn't have been anymore different, she was also writing for B&B a few years ago, and Guza was still at GH. Their different writers, very different.

I think Bill would spin less in his grave knowing one of the writers he personally trained for a while were writing this show, not the daughter-n-law that wrote five scripts and left daytime for 20 years, or two other Co-HW's that he's never met.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unfortunately, I think the faster pace is something we can't get rid of in this daytime climate. As bellcurve mentioned, you can move stories along at an accelerated pace and still have enough time to play all the major story beats and have some emotional long-term resonance. At this point, someone like Minnis, who knows these characters and can writer proper motivations for them would be welcomed by me, fast pace and all. At least, we know he knows these characters and trained with Bill for a time.

• Members

...or just Hogan Sheffer period lol.

The other shows have seen his mess and started making the doors to their studios more narrow. Sh!t sorry man... we just can't FIT YOU IN to your writing staff right now.

BAHAHAHA

• Members

Heh, too true.

And really, we should have expected this from the beginning.

Sheffer's never been good for an extended period of time, and Hamner's been an outright disaster for all of his shows. Maria is inexperienced but also very directionless. This is one toxic combination in hackdom.

• Members
Sadly yes. I got late to the party and realized that the DJ was playing the song on repeat. :( And some cases, a C&C Remix. Gotta love the late 80's.

Regardless of if that's the case(was merely a funny guess), it just still goes to show that their style is ALL wrong for these types of shows.

• Members

As much as we've been throwing around ideas for a new head writer (many people mentioned so far would be great), I'd rather, at this point just have Kay Alden return. I'd rather see her return for the very fact that I think her chances of destroying the show even more would be less likely than someone completely new. Maybe it would be a good idea to have Meg Bennett and Minnis under her, but not sharing the head writing title.

• Members

At this point, I'd settle for anyone who can do decent character writing, pace storyline well and play important beats, even at an accelerated rate, someone who can write some strong women, and someone who understand the concept of balance.

None of that qualifies this current writing regime.

• Members

If Y&R, like other soaps, is ending in like 5 years, I think I would prefer them just handing the show over to someone who trained with Bill Bell for good enough time. I think it's clearly what Bill would have wanted. The Bell's have the power to make that happen, and they're not doing it. So much for caring about Bill's professional legacy.

If Bill were alive, I think he'd be disgusted that this current writing regime is running this show.

If we can't find the perfect storyteller and daytime is dead in 5 years, I want this to happen...

Archived