Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Members

I don't think it caused a ratings increase, but I think Y&R still has a certain floor. People want to like the show. People have been watching the show for years. They don't want to be disgusted every week. If they see something which doesn't totally disgust them, they're more likely to keep hanging on.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I posted this in the main episode thread, but it's a better fit here.

What was the use of giving the Abbots back Jabot if they weren't going to do anything with that? This writing regime really doesn't know how to do business intrigue, and quite frankly, it sucks that these are the people in charge of this show.

Like it or not, business is a HUGE part of this show. Y&R's corporate stories were part of what set the show apart from most other shows, and now it has been taken away.

• Members

Alvin, do you have another recent example of 3.4 followed by three 3.7s in a row? If it was just a 3.7 on Monday, that would be one thing but that was three sustained days. It fell off again -- no surprise -- but something drew people pack for Mon-Wed. It's also fair to say (IMO) that P3 has done nothing for the ratings, maybe even depressed the ratings.

• Members

But if it was just Lane, why did their wedding score a 3.4 and that whole week was a flop in the ratings?

I don't disagree with that, but I can't say if the storylines going on in that particular week had major effects on gains or losses.

There has been weeks where the show was solid and it was hitting lows.

• Members

There was a time in November 2008, if I remember correctly where the show jumped from a 3.4 to a 3.7. Yes, the Kay/Marge storyline and the Paris stuff was going on then. But these storylines had already started, if I recall correctly, and nothing extremely major happened in either week that was dramatically different from what was going on prior.

• Members

The show was a mixed bag for a while but really started collapsing in late June/early July: when Mary Jane went from slightly crazy to fully psycho, Adam was recast/Rafe mess, Sharon decided to lie about her baby, Phillip 3's failed return, "Art" Drama. We need to all get past our biases against Lily and Cane, CK and DG, and just admit that Lily/Cane/Neil and TC/Nina and to a lesser extent Jill & Kay have been the only truly good parts of the show lately. Lily's cancer, Cane's betrayal, Nina's shock, Neil's heartbreak. All of that was good true soap. Everything else on the show is stupid, cartoonish, out of character or actively unwatchable.

• Members

As far as I can tell, the ratings are so messed up that you'll never be able to know exactly why this many people tuned on a certain day. Sometimes they tune in for nothing and they don't tune it for a major event, and sometimes it is the opposite.

• Members

As bad as GH is, I find it a bit more entertaining, fun, and engaging than Y&R has been in a while and defintely isn't right now.

GH is dark, unbalanced, and gloomy as hell yes, but there's also some light fun to the show. And the dialogue on that show ever hardly disappoints. Those GH script writers rock, even when the characters are being written out of character, their general dialogue is usually true to who they are. GH also does a better job of playing the beats in their stories than Y&R does, even if both are rushed shows.

I also adore the directing team at GH, in addition to the general writing staff.

Archived