Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Members

GH has completely destroyed everything they stood for. Many of the fans who watched in that era and don't like the current show have gone, so there's just a bottom level. With Y&R I think there are more longtime fans who are still holding on.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Guza also writes in a highly stylized manner which can appeal to a certain audience. And JFP, even with the lower budgets, still has some forte with production values (I haven't seen GH on HD but I've heard it looks great now). They also have a great casting director. Y&R looks cheap and dirty, the casting is awful, and there's no real consistent voice. Jack Smith did some damage to Y&R's core. LML whacked it to pieces and shook away much of the longtime crew. And now MAB/Sheffer/Hamner seem to be destroying what is left.

• Members

And I have to say... I sometimes love General Hospital. It can be great. Amazing. Fantastic.

Its writing team is unmatched. Far, far above any other in daytime.

The problem is that systematic lack of heart, reliance on stunts and the fact that it's not really a daytime drama. It's some kind of a hybrid between mobster shows à la Sopranos, mobster movies and soaps. Basically, a mob movie that drags on for 250 episodes a year.

• Members

That's why I love Wendy Riche. The damage Guza does now might have been apparent even then, but Riche brought some heart, diversity in stories, and romance to the show. It's no surprise Riche and Guza hated each other, you can clearly see how different Guza's GH is without Riche.

Y&R has no one there to balance any of the crap out.

• Members

It adds to the "us versus them" mentality that brimike and y&r_fan supposedly hate so much. I don't see how having a seperate thread is not adding to it. I think we could have all co-existed perfectly in this thread alone.

This thread was originally for all off topic discussion and it might have gotten lost along the way and I take some responsibility for that, but it's much more than just a "negativity" thread. I think most of us have valuable discussions and debates here.

• Members

People claim all sorts of stuff with the ratings eg Colleen was on that day so the ratings are down.

I don't think many regular viewers would turn off the show that day just because a certain character or story was playing.

More likely,they didn't watch because they were doing something else or Auntie Edna come over and demanded to watch Days etc.

If the show is consistently good or improving (as Y&R was when it hit a 4.0)that rating is a reflection of more Neilsen viewers watching more regularly and reconnecting with the show.

I remember when Days took a huge jump when Carly was buried alive.That didn't happen out of the blue-interest was building,there was publicity,people were talking and a lot of more casual viewers obviously took the time to watch.

Y&R needs to rebuild quickly before more viewers become casual and lose the committment to tune in daily.

Archived