June 8-12, 2009

Toups

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

God, these ratings are so pathetic.

Looks like Y&R is right back to the lows it experienced last year, and even down in total viewers from last year a bit. I'm not surprised, the show sucks and has gotten ridiculous. I hope the show falls more for the crap they've been putting out for the past few months.

The CBS lineup is in trouble, but ABC isn't doing that much better.

• Members

I know, and i hope it can.

Since its rise ive been waiting its fall. But it just keeps holding on/going up, aside from a few minor falls. It could dethrone B&B at number 2.... that would be awesome. I hope it can, it honestly deserves it. Its a tightly run soap with a vision that plays the entire cast. Its entertaining, and yes its using soap cliches and its not groundbreaking by any means, but all iw ant from a soap is a soap, and days is that soap right now. the only one.

Guest dc cubs

Doesn't Days usually get a spike in ratings over the summer when the kids are out of school? I could see it taking over the #2 spot for a week or two. It probably can't stay at number 2 but I'd take a couple weeks in that spot.

• Members

OLTL/AMC are not very far behind from their last year numbers. GL IMO they have given up on, it got great in February but now it's back to being horrid. They have given up as it's ending it's run. ATWT OMG is that scary, do they want it cancelled or are they going to make a change. Problem is they have these stupid short term stories on ATWT that last 2 weeks and no investment. Rushed storytelling is crashing the show. DAYS is the success story of the year, it was near cancellation and now doing much better. Heck it could get another renewel at this stage. It seems Tomlin has been a good addition to the show. It seems like Dena/Tomlin/Whitesell are working well together. They are doing this with a rapid pace in filming and much smaller budget then DAYS has ever seen. Drake/Deidre's exit caused no decline at all on DAYS, they are producing a far cheaper show with the same numbers. No vet is safe anymore after this. Drake/Deidre did every freaking vet in with their NO DECLINE after they left.

• Members

There are often two discussions that accompany these ratings threads. The advertisers and soap producers have their own cares and then on topics like these we see comments like "OLTL was so great this week, I think they will go up" or "AMC is such a mess, they deserve to go down" and that isn't a comment on finance, as yours is, but a comment on quality and artistry and whether or not the shows merit people being interested. And that's sort of where my comments about DVRing is a merging of the two. We who want a good show, it isn't really technically our concern what advertisers demand, just if a show is good and deserves viewers. I am a viewer and because I watch two weeks later I officially don't exist and that is wrong if the comments are "DOOL's ratings are bad because the show is bad". The ratings do not reflect the entire story. The advertisers have an outdated worldview, I don't think anyone can dispute that. They cling to formulas that worked in the 1970s when there were three networks and if you lived in a big city 4 or 5 indy channels tops. Clearly that is no longer the case and their logic is pretty illogical.

• Members

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ratings have been down for ABC, and evidently NBC News asked the Nielsen people to give the ratings another look. As a result, ABC World News Tonight found 800,000 viewers that weren't reported. It's been suggested that ABC Daytime ought to start questioning their ratings as well. Ratings for the ABC soaps, by the way, do not take into account SoapNet viewings.

From Twitter, it can be gleaned that a lot of people watch their soaps on SoapNet in the evening

• Members

However, the thing with them leaving was this - they had been back burned for years. No real storyline for them. Furthermore when they left Days really kicked into gear using other vets long forgotten like Caroline, maggie, and Victor.

I hate it when people say Days has no vets or doesnt use them. They do. Maggie, Caroline, Victor. All three of them, along with Stefano, are used a lot. In major storylines. What days doesnt have now is supercouples, aside from hobo, but vets they have. vets the use.

• Members

I agree with you about Caroline, Maggie, and Victor. Victor drives some story now, and adds some depth to somewhat aimless characters like Phillip; Victor got lost in the shuffle sometime during JER's first stint and only came back in fits and starts over the years. Caroline is the matriarch of the Brady family, she unites all the disparate branches, and Maggie is a great mentor figure. Suzanne Rogers still has such a luminous screen presence and she never phones in a scene (as some other more high profile vets clearly did). I remember when she was the first or second serial killer victim on JER's return, and even though she was not a major character, her death was so painful to watch because there's no one on the show like her.

There are some soaps with some leading vets who absolutely make the show run. DAYS, more than other soaps, had several vets who, for whatever reason, were more like the relative you don't want to ask to leave, but finally you have to. And I think the show has improved from their absence, although I do miss Patch and Kayla.

• Members

ITA with all of this.

Losing John/Marlena/Patch/Kayla also is what made the show feature Caroline, maggie, and Victor. Not only because they were the only vets left, but also Sami & Stephanie, the shows two most front and center anti-heroine and heroine, now have no mother around. They both have Caroline tho, as a grandma. And esp in Victors story it adds so much given her history with both the dimeras and the kiriakis'. Sami on the other hand, NEEDS her mother there. But at the same time, was Marlena ever really there for Sami?

The thing is, these vets everyone thoguht the show couldnt live on without are now gone, and the show is thriving. Be it good planning or blind luck, im glad it all worked out. Days also should have been using Maggie this much for the past decade now. Her role hasnt chnaged, just her screen time. She is the vet the tie the newbies too. Melanie, Mia, Nathan right now; Nick before; Brady before that. Bugt they also one upped that with playing her into the Lucas/Chloe/Daniel triangle.

• Members

Days is the surprise success of the year. The fact that it has done so for so many weeks running now suggests this is not a fluke. They found a way to turn it around. I'm watching as I type this, I have been watching on and off for a bit...I find the show fairly engaging. The Sami-Nicole story is pure soap classic (who cares if it is a bit of a Y&R-Sheila retread...that was a good story then, and it is now). I love that any day of the week, I'll see one of Stephano/Victor/Maggie or Caroline.

The show has figured out that these older veterans...true seniors...are loved and that viewers will tune in for them. The same thing helped Y&R earlier this year. And it is one such person (Susan Flannery) that is the sole thread by which B&B is hanging on.

As for B&B, the TREND is what is important, and B&B is in double trouble. Not only does it have a clear decline trend (faster than the average soap), BUT it does so after the strongest lead-in. That bodes very, very poorly.

The Days "miracle" (for however long it lasts) came from finally getting the right leadership--leadership that MATCHED the show and its audience. There were other great leaders in the past, but they didn't match Days. And these Days leaders didn't well match many of their previous gigs. So it is all about "fit".

B&B is in urgent, urgent need of leadership change. Just as it seems trust-fund owner Ken Corday FINALLY stepped back and let people do their job at Days, I really see that as essential for B&B.

Archived