June 8-12, 2009

Toups

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The ratings are very inaccurate. I read in a newspaper that some shows like Heroes or Lost have a higher percentage of DVR than say Law and Order (not the least of which is it because it airs 30 times a day) and the ratings do not reflect DVR usage accurately. I save up a week's worth of DOOL--sometimes two weeks---and watch a marathon off my DVR. Did I not watch it or is it just they refuse to count DVRs after 24 hrs? Plus there is now streaming and if you watch B&B on CBS or at CBS.com you still have watched it.

• Members

With reports that the analog-converting-to-digital impacted ratings elsewhere (i.e. ABC World News); could this be the case for this older-skewing network since CBS daytime are heavily watched by older viewers?

If it means "new" low for the CBS soaps, it would indicate B&B getting 2.2 or 2.3, ATWT getting 1.5 or 1.6, and GL getting 1.2 or 1.3; it's such a shame when we all know the current ratings system is beyond flawed.

My predictions until Toups post the ratings:

1-Y&R 3.4 (-.1)

2-B&B 2.2 (-.2)

3-DAYS 1.9 (-.1)

4-GH 1.8 (-.1)

4-OLTL 1.8 (-.1)

4-AMC 1.8 (same)

7-ATWT 1.5 (-.2)

8-GL 1.3 (-.1)

Will Babs Bloom and CBS network file for an appeal to the Nielsens to "re-count" the ratings just like ABC did?

• Members

CBS has no reason to. ABC filed an appeal for an investigation because they knew that some of their affiliates were incorrectly counted because of the time of day on Friday they made the analog-to-digital switch. If CBS doesn't have a compelling reason to believe that the ratings were miscounted, there's no reason to investigate. CBS soaps went down again because they're all horrible and GL is the worst and about to go off the air so people aren't gonna bother sitting through it anymore.

• Members

Law & ORder airing 30 times a day wouldn't matter to it's rating. The only rating that advertisers are genuinely concerned about in the weekly ratings is the episode that airs on Wednesday night at 10:00 p.m. The others are reruns of old episodes. The episode that airs on Wednesday night on CBS won't air like that for at least a 6 to 9 months if not longer. The episodes that go to TNT are at least 1 season behind. So that would have no affect.

As far as the DVR so far the only DVR ratings that advertisers have expressed an interest in are up to 7 day - and Nielsen does tabulate those and give them to advertisers. We just don't see them reported that often.

Toups reports the same day plus the next day, but Nielsen keeps up with up to 7 days. After that they don't.

And remember folks the more Nielsen counts and releases to the shows - costs the shows and the websites megabucks. So you only see what the shows and the websites are willing or able to pay for. And what Toups releases here are not cheap. Believe me I have checked, and Nielsen requires you to sign a contract that you will pay a full year up front.

They have to get the money to pay the workers and the statisticians somewhere.

Nielsen as I have said before is not perfect. They do have problems but folks the way Nielsen does the ratings is based on a sampling. To do it different and to get a sample from every viewer would be so costly that the shows would end up suffering because that money is going to have to come from somewhere. Either advertisers are going to take it out of the money they give the shows or they going to pass the buck on to you and me and we are going to have to pay for it.

Any system that is developed is going to use the same sampling. It is tried and true research.

They could count every venue that the shows air, but in the end it is not going to matter. Advertisers are concerned with who watches on the TV for the most part. They do look at up to 7 days DVR but they don't even put as much credence into it yet as they do the live viewing. They look at the other but as of yet they can't be sure that you or I are watching those commercials when we DVR so of course they are not going to look at them that closely.

The truth is folks there is a lot of competition out there. Daytime soaps are not competing as well as they should. I know it is easy to blame the Nielsens or lots of factors but the truth is people just aren't watching that much anymore.

And yes you might watch it 2 weeks later, but right now advertisers are not that interested in that. It is not that Nielsen doesn't care or the shows don't care. The fact is that advertisers don't care. If an advertiser is especially interested in seeing the progress of a new product they are advertising they are concerned about the immediate impact of the ads - not the impact of them 2 weeks later.

• Members

I'm starting to wonder if CBS wants ATWT gone next year, there's NO other reason for Goutman and Pissant to be still hacking up ATWT :angry:

From what I understand primetime shows can be watched within a week of it's original airing and be counted, but daytime soaps have to be watched within 24 hours to be counted, since they're daily shows

• Members

OMG...ATWT with a 1.5 for Wednesday and B&B down to a 2.2...OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Days is going to pass it for #2 in the ratings...this [!@#$%^&*] is crazy!

If this doesnst clue CBS brass to make changes nothing will. Look how steady Days has stayed.

• Administrator

GO DAYS GO! Take down B&B! LOL

The show still has more storyline secrets to drop and the big returns this fall. Hopefully the show can hold up during the US Open (Monday's episode will probably be pre-empted since Round 1 was suspended) and then Wimbledon.

• Administrator

Higley/Wyman didn't work.

Higley/Scott didn't work.

But Higley/Whitesell/Tomlin do - they've found a way to work together and make the show better. And it's Tomlin who sets the tone and pacing which I approve.

Archived