Guilding Light replacement?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But they have. It has forced the older stalwarts to step up their game, has introduced new game concepts in primetime and in daytime, and it's revived much interest in Game Show Network.

No. I threw it in there because it's true.

• Members

Not to mention, back in 2004, Game Show Network sought to completely rebrand itself and focus on "games" in general, thus picking up a shitton of reality, poker, and other ridiculous shows. They even ceased calling themselves Game Show Network in favor of just "GSN." Their ratings have falling consistently since then, and I hear that in their official papers, they are calling themselves "GSN: The Game Show Network."

• Members

Here's my idea - take what SN did to GH (Night Shift) and do a 13-week spinoff of characters on Y&R/B&B. rotate the character/s who is featured and create new characters based on where they are in the current s/l. For instance, when a character leaves - thought dead or goes on a soul-search mission, they show the character who's gone and their journey. Sort of like the nvels GL and ATWT do, only better.

• Members

It would be best if CBS would make GL and ATWT half-hour and share time, it would be better then to lose both shows and ATWT may be gone next year and GL viewers will not watch anything that replaces GL - CBS at that time 9/21 will be dead to them and many are not going watch CBS soaps and many will not watch CBS.

:wacko:

• Members

"Whammy!" hasn't made new episodes for several years; and the only reason why the last "Match Game" revival blew, was because the host and the celebs were all C-grade (no offense, Nell Carter fans!).

• Members

I want CBS to stay far far away from any FREEmantle Media stuff, except maybe Press Your Luck. Look at the great job their corporate interference has done post-Barker.

The biggest reason why those Match Game revivals have sucked is not only because of the F-List(you were too kind to call them C-Grade) celebrities, but the gameplay. FREEmantle has decided the best way to update games is to completely destroy everything that made them popular to begin with. Exhibit A: Card Sharks 2001.

• Members

Fremantle eats [!@#$%^&*], to be frank. Card Sharks '01 was just like any other cheap, late night syndicationg game show, and absolutely nothing like the actual Card Sharks. They do Family Feud, right? At least *that* is still 100% true to the original.

I think any celebrity-based game would fail on a daily basis today. In the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s, you had stars from primetime (and daytime) TV shows regularly appearing on these shows everyday, and in the 50s and 60s, A-list movie stars would make regular appearances on the primetime games (Line and Secret, especially). None of today's equivalents would ever humble themselves enough to do five episodes of a game show. Snobs.

CBS had their upfront today. Does anyone know if they mentioned what they're gonna do with GL's timeslot? Watch it go back to affiliates.

• Members

Not even Family Feud is immune to FREEmantle's meddling. In the newer version, they do that really crappy thing where they completely invalidate the other three rounds with a "Sudden Death" question. A family that may have worked hard all game will get their victory stolen by one question answered by a really stupid family. And it's so predictable how it happens, too. At least "Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy!" edit for time instead of doing some lame stunt like "Sudden Death."

No, today we get drunken Paula Poundstone slurring her way through every single interview or Dax "I Need a Job" Griffin as panelists.

No clue. But I assume upfronts stuff doesn't get lumped in with the primetime division.

• Members

This will NEVER happen ever, but I would give my left arm if they would put on daily GL reruns after the show is cancelled. Lord knows that we will never get that from Soapnet again.

Archived