Guilding Light replacement?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

BUMP!

I read on golden-road.net(courtesy of poster MCJ04) that the taping for $1,000,000 Pyramid went very very well. Pics of the set are also available online and let me say...it is a far cry from that crappy Donny Osmond remake. Thank you Michael Davies, for listening to the people.

Description of Pilot

http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic....html#msg181652

Pics of Pilot Set

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz265/MJose00/

Please, please, please pick this up CBS! Strip the quarterfinals and semifinals in the daytime and then the finals during sweeps or something.

PLEASE make this happen.

• Members

WOW, Bellcurve, you just made my YEAR.... if only we can get this on the air! And thye siad the big pyramid used TRILONS, thank GOD. The lack of movement in the winner circle in Donny's version jsut killed all the excitement (that and no tick of the clock) The new set looks COOL!!!! Futuristic, not cheap, yet classic at the same time. What a brilliant set design!

pyramid.jpg

• Members

THAT is Pyramid! I loved Donny's version, but it was so different from the classic show. Trilons might not seem all that important, but try watching the Winner's Circle without that sound of th boxes flipping around. Such a lack of tension.

I am sorry...I love GL, I hate that it's ending, and it's very unfortunate. But I'm absolutely freaking stoked about The $1,000,000 Pyramid and I hope they pick it up. I wonder what they'll do with the other half-hour. coughSPLIT SECONDcough. coughNOW YOU SEE ITcough. coughPASSWORD PLUScough. I *need* traditional game shows to make a comeback. If my #1 favorite genre has to die, I want it replaced by one of my other favorites.

PS Is that Jesse Metcalfe as one of the celebrity partners?

ETA: I'm hearing that Dean Cain hosted the second pilot, correct?

• Members

No matter what CBS puts on 9/21 - 2 PM CT - the CBS channel will be dead to me and other GL viewers - most who tape GL and may have to watch it 10 PM or midnight - nobody will tape a tacky game show and watch it at midnight.

:wacko:

• Members

Uh....if a person tapes GL and watches it at a later time, then it really doesn't matter whether or not they tape "a tacky game show" or not because they don't count in the ratings.

But just because you said that, if the new Pyramid is picked up, I'll not only watch it live when I can but I'll also tape it and watch it at midnight too.

• Members

I hear they are actually using the $100,000 Pyramid theme, or some variation of it. I wonder if they will use some kind of "dramatic music cue" or whether they will do the ticking clock? The clock, to me, added much more suspense to the game than some stupid Millionaire-wannabe cue.

If this goes to greenlight, as it is shown here, this will be Michael Davies' more "traditional" game show project to date.

And I HATED the Osmond version. Part of it had to do with the modernization of the set, but another part of it was that it was TOO easy for the contestants to win and get away with stuff that clearly should have been X-ed out for them. Hopefully, with the recession, CBS/Sony won't be too eager to just fork over the bucks.

I think this has a better chance at a revival, especially if SONY owns it.

Pyramid is being stripped for a full hour. But me thinks they are developing these other pilots(Deal, Dating) in the event they need to plug in holes to the daytime sched next year. Falling ratings, licensing agreements, etc.

I love gameshows too. I think Pyramid will do better than people expect for it to.

Yep.

The second round of pilots, yes. I think they've already shot two pilot episodes already.

Um....three words: Game Show Network.

And alot of people say the SAME thing about soaps. So let's not throw stones, please.

• Members

I'm with you. I don't necessarily consider myself a "purist" because I do think that there should be some evolution involved, but some things just work and the clock is one of them. Its just shrill enough, just piercing enough to add even more tension to the game.

As far as Davies goes, the only thing he's done that I've really, really liked is Chain Reaction. The Newlywed Game with Carnie...notsomuch. I only watched the first week or so, but I'm not a fan of most of GSN's recent originals (including Catch 21, which is obnoxious as hell).

An hour...eh. I guess it could work, but IMO, daytime is too small an arena for everything to be an hour. Trying to expand everything to an hour is what got us to this point in the first place.

I'm just so excited that there is a huge possibility that TPIR will no longer be the lone network daytime game. What's it been, 15 years now? Most game show fans gave up and accepted that there would be no more on network daytime, but here we are. I hope that soaps can rise up from the ashes in the same way in the future. Daytime is at its best when it is equal parts games and soaps, as far as I'm concerned.

Jesse Metcalfe is such a random choice for a celebrity partner...guess he needed the money lol If it goes to series, I want some CBS Daytime stars to appear. I can imagine folks like Austin Peck, Christian LeBlanc, and Lesli Kay being really good at it.

Archived