Guilding Light replacement?

• Members

I was looking forward to the new version of Pyramid. I loved Dick Clark's Pyramid in the 1980s, both the $25,000 Pyramid on CBS and the syndicated $100,000 Pyramid.

I have a feeling that the new Let's Make a Deal is a placeholder until CBS can get the show they really want - Days.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

BTW.....I just read that the new Let's Make a Deal premieres Monday, October 5th....but doesn't Guiding Light end on Friday, September 18th?

So what's going to air for the two weeks in-between?

ETA: Nevermind, just found out: "As for other changes at the network, CBS announced earlier that the game show Let's Make a Deal will replace Guiding Light after the long-running soap goes off the air. To-be-determined repeats will air during the gap between the end of the soap and the Oct. 5 premiere of Deal." (from Broadcasting and Cable Magazine).

• Members

I've been saying for years that Barbara Bloom and Brian Frons will probably have a bidding war for DAYS when the time is right. SONY/Corday will want to move to a network where the show is anchored around a real daypart.

If so, I can see Bloom screwing B&B over by moving it to 2:30, so DAYS can get Y&R's lead-in.

I wish. It will probably be more Peapackness. <_<

• Members
Sony will obviously want their property to benefit from being next to or near daytime's #1 soap opera, which is also something they own as well.

Not to mention, they wouldn't want DAYS airing an hour later than it did on NBC.

And they'd also probably shoot at Radford, where Passions once called home.

• Members

After reading about ATWT's fate, I think it's safe to say DAYS is staying at NBC, ATWT is canceled and another crappy game show will replace it. I don't understand how even primetime can think up some interesting game shows, but CBS daytime can't even pick an interesting one to remake. Throw in tired ass Wayne Brady as a host and I want to puke.

It's a shame because I do think Two game shows, three soaps (including DAYS) could be a nice lineup with some traction. They just need to focus on promotion and quality. Look at these summer nights with little original fare. Why not pursue primetime episodes to draw attention to their soaps? They just don't try.

• Members

I've seen some chat that GL may end on Sep 21 instead of the 18th. Maybe due to US Open pushing episode back, I think (some big sporting event).

Why is CBS letting a gap between GL and LMAD come about? Was the show simply not ready in time. Seems like Bloom would want as many habitual GL viewers to move seamlessly to LMAD (I realize it has yet to be determined if GL viewers are interested). Perhaps, if the chose re-runs were really, really compelling folks would stay on. *shrugs* Soap re-runs don't usually gain stellar ratings or even maintain typical ones.

• Members

Was it between The City and Port Charles that ABC ran 'A Daytime To Remember'with Reba hosting.

Imagine a CBS version promoting Y&R,B&B and ATWT?

If only....

Seems that network TV,night and day is in turmoil,with nobody sure what will work anymore and the almighty dollar ruling over creativity.

GL is cancelled,and soaps are seen as old hat,yet the replacement is a rehashed version of a 60's game show?

Go figure.

• Members

I'm thinking CBS will be airing last season's episodes of Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother, and their other sitcoms in the 3 pm ET slot until the launch of Let's Make a Deal. In the past CBS aired reruns of their popular sitcoms as time-fillers in their daytime schedule, ie. Family Affair, All in the Family, M*A*S*H, The Jeffersons, Alice, One Day at a Time, Designing Women.

• Members

They'd have to make some kind of deal with the producers of the shows to do that.

It's true that network daytime line-ups used to be the first stop for sitcoms before syndication (ABC ran Three's Company and Too Close For Comfort; NBC aired The Golden Girls there before the show was syndicated), but in recent years, sitcom producers have bypassed the network daytime route in fear it would reduce the money they could get in syndication later on (since it would've already aired 5 days/week).

Archived