Guilding Light replacement?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just got a DVR have it set to record GL everyday - can not believe I will have to change it after 9/18 - watched GL all my life - my family goes back with GL since radio [1937] and I refuse to watch anything on CBS - that takes GL place.

:angry:

• Members

We don't know what will be GL replacement yet - CBS has not announced what it will be yet - wonder why CBS will not announce the nushow [think they are scared of something] or will CBS just give GL time over to local stations - btw GL/P&G called me this week and I also talked to CBS - I told them what I thought and they told me a few things.

:blink:

• Members
GIVE IT A REST!

They've taped two gameshow pilots already and game shows are must faster and cheaper to produce than a soap, which needs most, if not more than 4-6 months to prepare for in terms of casting, story, etc.

Once they pick a show(which will probably be sometime in mid-July/August), they can push the show into production and tape multiple episodes a week to get ready for the September launch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

From Steve Beverly's(formerly of tvgameshows.net) "Game Show Fix" Newsletter:

PICKUP DAY: Producers developing the pilots for CBS’s replacement(s) for Guiding Light are expected to get the word next Wednesday (July 22) on the fates of their shows.

RE: Let's Make a Deal...I saw a set picture. Looks very retro and interesting, and in case you've been living under a rock, Wayne Brady hosted the pilot. But according to online reports, people who flew in from as far as Dallas/Fort-Worth with the allure of prizes were told that they would be playing for nothing. And I heard they didn't let any of the audience/potential contestants leave for over five hours, after they waited in line for three hours.

• Members

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but here are my thoughts on what will replace GL later in the fall or winter.

1-Either a talk show, reality show or game show

or

2- Another Soap- NBC is wanting out of the soap business altogether and a few weeks ago, Soap Opera Digest ran a cover story talking about the fate of Days of our Lives. In it was a quote from Ken Corday that read something along the lines is that they would have to look at ratings before making a decision on whether to cancel the show or not. Currently, Sony Pictures has their hand in Days. Additionally, Sony also has their hands in the pot at Y&R and B&B over at CBS. Coincidence??? Who knows, but something tells me that if NBC does indeed pull the plug on Days, that CBS will pick up the show in GL's time spot. Just a thought.

• Members

UPDATE, per BuzzerBlog:

http://buzzerblog.flashgameshows.com/the-1000000-pyramid-applications-being-sent-hmm/

I think you all may have your answer as to what is the future of daytime game shows with CBS. We’re hearing that people are being sent applications for The $1,000,000 Pyramid right now and its asking that the form is return as soon as possible, for reasons I assume involving wanting to tape unbelievably quick.

Obviously we can’t confirm it because CBS will want to actually break the news with someone a bit bigger than us, but from everything I’ve heard and now this, it looks like Pyramid will be the first daytime game show in a really long time. It’s extremely exciting news that we’ll keep you posted on constantly. This is one of the shows CBS was looking at replacing the now-canceled soap opera Guiding Light with. Other shows in the running are Let’s Make A Deal and The Dating Game.

EEEEEEEE!

• Members
Yep. I am absolutely stoked.

And knowing Barbara Bloom's love for her soaps, we may be seeing alot of them pop up on Pyramid, both from soaps from CBS and rival networks.

The set looks very modern, but at the same time, it has that classic Pyramid look.

I'm willing to give Pyramid another go, especially if Michael Davies has learned from his mistakes with Donnymid.

If CBS can properly promote the show and really stick by the format laid out by the original Dick Clark version(and even capitalize on the "Million Dollar" aspect of it during Sweeps and Summer), I can really see people getting behind it.

It also makes perfect sense for CBS to jump into bed with SONY. As mentioned earlier in this thread, they already distribute two of their games via their domestic syndication arm(Wheel and Jeopardy), they own a SONY property, which is daytime's #1 serial, AND Days(another SONY owned property) will need a new home next year.

If this move is indeed a "marriage," then this strategy is smart planning on Bloom/Tassler/Moonves's part if this is the way they wish to restructure their daytime lineup post-Telenext.

Archived