Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Rachel Cory going from the bitch of Bay City to leading off a Lee Greenwood montage is something. 

The end of this montage cracks me up.

Not one but two lengthy musical montages in this episode. Not the last padded strike montage or performance we will be getting (I'm looking forward to seeing the one with Merry Clayton again).

Ronnie Lawrence was such a likeable, warm character, one of many black women who were never given a real role by AW.

A very patriotic cherry-popping with Cheryl and Scott right before they leave Bay City. I did not get at the first watch how much Josie is obviously there to fill the ingenue role that Cheryl had never really managed. I do find her much less cold and hollow than I generally found Josie.

The Vicky/Jake/Lisa/Jamie shot in the montage is choreographed just right.

A moment of pity for the actors who had to mimic looking at fireworks and ended up looking vaguely disturbed.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Thanks everyone for the clarifications and corrections.  So Pat's was the first, Erica's in 1971 (in NY, having travelled from PA where it would not have been legal), would be the first legal, and Maude's in 1972, also in NY where she lived, was also legal but both hers and Erica's were pre-Roe. 

• Members

While I'm happy to see them, I'm so bummed about the story quality of the 1988 AW episodes being uploaded because the shift in quality for most of the year is just so disappointing. There was so much potential and then it sort of dissipates shortly before the writer's strike (and thank you for those who pointed that out). Even before that, it felt like the writers were flailing and did not know what to do in early 1988. I still can't get over the number of stories that just fizzled out. Scott and Cheryl are gone which annoys me to no end. The Mary storyline just ended. NuDonna is like another character. They don't seem to know what to do with the character of Jason. Cass is being haunted by Laura Innes (later on ER) and there are all these new characters who just talk and talk and talk.

Edited by chrisml

• Members

1979 was the final year there were more Matthews on AW than any other family. In this cast photo, there are eight members of the Matthews family plus Dan Shearer, who I don't see in the photo. So that makes nine Matthews (counting in-laws) There are eight member of the Cory family in the photo (counting in-laws, but not counting servants). By March 1979, the Matthews family began to diminish rapidly -- starting with John, Dan, Susan, and a few months later Alice and Michael were written off.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

1988 there were a lot of changes behind the scenes at AW. Margaret De Priest left as headwriter in January to be replaced by Sheri Anderson.  Michael Laibson replaced John Whitesell as executive producer.  Right before the writer’s strike it was announced that Harding Lemay was returning as headwriter.  His work would not air until after the writer’s strike.  During the strike, Donna Swajeski, who then worked at NBC was writing the episodes.  Lemay would stay about 10 weeks as headwriter, before Swajeski would take over.  From Lemay’s return until mid-1989, AW is excellent. It has always been said that Swajeski was using Lemay’s bible for the show.  The Who Killed Jason Frame story was a big umbrella story that involves the entire cast, and the 25th Anniversary and Mac’s death are well done.  A lot of what was planned for the show probably had to be scrapped when Douglass Watson died in real life.

• Members

I don't recognize everyone and/or can't make out all of the faces in the back. How many Frames were there at this point?  I can see Gwen and Janice and maybe the top of Jamie's head. But I suppose Jamie is also being counted as a Cory? Are the 8 Mac, Iris, Rachel, Brian, Ada, Charlie, Jamie, and Blaine? What about Clarice (Charlie's daughter) and Larry (Blaine's brother)?  As I write that out it seems as if none of the Cory set have any close connection with the Matthews set. When did Pat and Liz start working for Cory Publishing?

Matthews: John, Dan, Susan, Alice, Michael, Liz, Pat, and ... Sally?

• Members

Thank you for all of the information. I watched the show from 1986 on, but I didn't remember a lot of the stories during most of 1988. I now understand why. I could definitely tell while watching it that there was upheaval behind the scenes as there's a lot of chaos on the screen. It's a frustrating experience because there was much good material, but more often than not, it wasn't followed through on. I agree that AW was on fire and I'd even extend it into 1990.