Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

How soon we forget about Jake's half-brother Kevin Anderson (1991-1993) and nephew Sean (1999). 

I can't remember what purpose Kevin served. Did he do anything interesting or worthwhile? Was he Nicole Loved off to jail or was it more Iris-ish? What character filled the Kevin Anderson void?

• Members

It's funny -- the AWHP character guide mentions he went to jail, but the weekly synopses don't actually mention it as far as I can tell. Based on the dates he left at the end of September 1993. Morgan Winthrop arrived in October. I liked Morgan but reading through his character page all of his storylines sound depressing. Too much rape, for one thing, and too many non-core girlfriends. That was something I always worried about with Nancy, that after Perry her boyfriends had no other connection to anyone. Maybe they should have used Nancy instead of creating the character of Courtney.

• Members

The Character Guide entry uses the term "assault, wrongful use of office, and conspiracy to commit murder" and gives his final words as:

[The courtroom, to Victor Rodriguez, before being taken to prison,] "Carl would have done some serious time. But no. You know better."

ETA: I don't remember whether I liked Kevin with Lorna but I do remember liking her with Victor.

Edited by Xanthe
cleaning up formatting, adding a thought

• Members

Truthfully, Even during Harding Lemay's years he wrote them out as fast as he wrote them in except for a few.  I am also referring to recasting too.  Some characters stuck around for a bit but after being recasted, a whole different person.  AW really always had bad management decisions.  I think for years P&G and NBC just saw it as dumpy show and just hoped for the best and never invested in making a robust change/renewal.  The show had a enough fans and even though poor ratings, a decent history that they kept it around but almost like they were waiting to drop the show.  Eventually, that happened and it was too late and it finally collapsed

• Members

I have no recollection of ever actually seeing Kevin's character, even though I know I must have watched the show at some point while he was on.  However, the discussion of his and Iris's similar exits reminded me of reading eons ago, probably on the Another World Home Page and pre-YouTube, about this scene:

https://youtu.be/c4V2z6XvGrI?t=1507

It's fascinating that Kevin and Iris met on their way to Carl's trial, where he got away with trying to kill Rachel, given what became of all four characters.  The lack of continuity in the later years was really bananas. 

It's not news that the show ignored sooo much history where Rachel and Carl's pairing was concerned, and burned through years' worth of story when they could have been dealing with that history.  But especially after Keating too was cast aside and Carl's redemption was seemingly negated anyway, it could have been weirdly compelling to address how messed up it was that Bay City largely accepted him as a changed man and wrote off anyone who contradicted that.  What did it say about the community, the family, and especially Rachel?  Reckoning with the collateral damage—characters who made desperate choices but convinced themselves they were doing what they had to to stop Carl, and suffered greatly for it—would have added texture.  Iris, of course, but also, wasn't one of the teen characters introduced in the last weeks of the show supposed to be Kevin's son, and slated to be paired with Rachel's granddaughter? 

Anyway, back to 1991, it sounds like Kevin and Iris flirted for a few weeks and then nothing ever came of it.  I wonder if there was a longer story in the works for them, or if the writers just wasted a perfectly good meet-cute with no long-term plan.  It's always hard to guess what was due to change of vs. lack of plans in this era.  Iris with a younger guy could have been interesting, given her Daddy issues and history with older men and/or men who were hung up on their own estranged daughters.

Edited by DeliaIrisFan

• Members

I'd go with 1990-92. Anne Heche alone is worth watching in '90, '91 as Vicky/Marley.

You also have the "Who shot Jake?" storyline which was great.

Ryan's arrival.

Paulina's arrival.

Sharlene/John/Dr. Benson

Alicia Coppola's arrival as Lorna and the reveal she's Felicia's daughter. 

Kathleen's return.

• Members

Thank u very much! Sounds amazing already. I’m sold.

i remember that AOL posted them like 2 decades ago but I never got around to watch all of it.

i have to admit that I’m familiar with AW as a show and it’s history somewhat but I just watched like the last few years with my mom sporadically because I got born to late for the 80’s and 70’s. I think I probably watched from around 94 to 99. 

• Members

Always maintain the Harding LeMay "classic years" 1971-1979 best BUT the first period listed I have only seen rare YouTube clips. It was my Mom's show so I assume she was watching then and always mentioned Alice-Steve-Rachel so I know it's another powerful standard soap period. I just feel LeMay and Rauch in the early-to-mid period of their time together brought daytime drama to a new level.