Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Listened to this old upload for the first time in full yesterday. Listening to this reminded me of the various times Lemay had leading ladies having complete breakdowns, to the point of sedation or needing serious treatment (Alice several times, Pat at least once, Lenore here). I suppose this was part of the era and how it viewed women, but it's such a contrast to the idea Lemay gave of wanting to avoid melodrama. 

I wonder if Susan Sullivan was trying to sound like Judith Barcroft at this point. I barely "hear" Susan at all.

The '80s were, overall, a wash for women in soaps, but I do think as a whole the women of Bay City became stronger. Even the most generic of ingenues, like Amanda, rarely got this treatment. The closest (albeit much worse in writing) to these sedations and breakdowns was what DePriest did with Donna, which was, for me, completely unwatchable and horribly damaging to the character. 

I wish I could see the closing credits of Walter's car in flames. It must have been a harrowing visual at the time.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I haven't listened to all of them either but there's some great material. This one was especially interesting to me because I could compare it to the way Lemay wrote about it (claiming Val Dufour took the spotlight away from Susan Sullivan, and so on).

Ah. Thanks for letting me know. I think S&H was later but there was probably another show with similar footage. I knew the crash would not have been anything special, with budget limitations, it's just the rare choice to have different credits and no music that fascinates me. I am not sure how many times AW ever did that.

• Members

Yes Starsky & Hutch was a few years on, but I'm sure they had access to car crash footage that was used in primetime by various shows as a cost cutting measure.

I remember watching Mannix reruns and the same footage was used of a car going over a cliff  in different seasons. Being a car person I noticed it immediately as in both cases the car was not the one shown in the chase preceding the cliff top spill.

• Members

This seems to be something Paul Rauch enjoyed doing, at least on AW.  I recall at least three times he did it, but there were likely a few more.  First, the episode we are discussing.  Second, when John Randolph shot Even Webster in self-defense, during the closing we saw/heard Olive Randolph whimpering and wailing about losing Even.  And third, in the episode in which John Randolph died, footage of fire fighters extinguishing the fire, and the sounds of this replaced the closing theme song.   One more may have been, when Clarice gave birth to her son Cory.  That episode may have closed with Clarice crying alone in the hospital.  My memory is cloudy on that one.     

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

Two questions: Was John Randolph's death a 60 or 90 minute episode (I recall it was an event)?  Also when they experimented with 90 minute episodes before committing to the experiment, what played during the other half hour?  In other words, was another soap an hour and it had to scaled back, or was it when they had two half hour sitcom rerun blocks and just ran one?

Edited by j swift

• Members

You're thinking of the trial runs they did of an hour long, that were standalones, right? No such trial run was done with the 90 minute show. Just when they went from 30" to 1 hour. Hope this is what you were thinking of. 

Not very many people had lines in the SAG In Memoriam 2023 but both Anne Heche & Ray Liotta did. 

Edited by Tonksadora
more info