Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Lisa, Marley, Thomasina, all good girls. Amanda when she was Mandy did cut loose & rebel big time. Then she calmed down. But, later Evan could get her riled up again. Caroline dealt some underhanded stuff. But, yeah, classic Vicky, first Wheeler & then Heche she WAS the wild child from the get go! For the most part she had that lane to herself. 

• Members

I did not care for the Dawn storyline because it was one of those stories where a new character comes in and interrupts an existing storyline just to make some social issue point. It killed any momentum Scott and Cheryl had together or as separate characters. If I recall, Scott was to turn out to be Donna's child, but it never materalized after Anna Stuart left. 

• Members

I don't believe it was ever made clear whether the "Scott as a triplet" story was just rumor, or actual possibility or written & then unwritten. But, whichever it was I don't believe it related to Scott's part in the Dawn HIV/AIDS storyline. If they'd wanted to do that storyline, they would have. 

Thinking of Dawn's story as dated, as only able to be told as it was back in the day, ... I wish some show would do a modern story that addresses how much loss we had as friends & as fans from that particular plague. It's like we lived through it, barely, but we never reflected on it. Instead there was silence. 

Edited by Tonksadora
dated story

• Members

I think we were always supposed to be titillated by sweet virginal Cheryl and her pursuit of the opposite sex. Practically the first thing she did was accidentally and unknowingly get into Scott's bed. She was always pestering Scott not to think of her as a kid. And then she hung around ex-pimp Chad in order to ratchet up MJ's guilt and anxiety. 

I don't know if the character of Cheryl would have worked better for me if they had paired her with a badder yet age-appropriate boy. The only thing that made Scott bad was his link to Reginald which he rejected and in any case was offset by devotion to his and Cheryl's mother. He just seemed nice and too mature for her. 

There were a lot of extremely good girls around. We got some vixen from Paulina, Lorna, Maggie maybe? 

She refused to go to college and ... rebelliously took an entry-level job in her father's company. Most of her mild disobedience was because she was chasing Sam. I think her aunt Nancy went further (although still fairly mildly) off the rails -- she befriended Marley chiefly to get closer to Perry and because they were rich, after Perry's death became dependent on drugs, and got into trouble with Ada for going into debt and sleeping with Chris Chapin out of wedlock. 

• Members

Amanda was a bit wilder in her Sinclair bros + Josie quad, but that story is best left undiscussed...

Poor Josie, only in Bay City does a beautiful girl go from modeling to police work.  It's a wonder that her nose job survived all the trauma. 

Edited by j swift

Eddie has reuploaded more episodes. Sam finally found out about Mandy being Amanda. And the conclusion to the Rex Allingham story. As Rex and Cass battled it out in a nightclub packed with people. I love them playing Michael McDonald's 'Love Lies'. As Sam was left reeling about Amanda. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I always thought Scott was too old for her. 

Oh, I forgot what a bad girl Lorna was! Remember when Robyn Griggs Maggie got to town but was saying her name was JOY!??

Yes, to all of this Mandy stuff & there again, I forgot about Nancy! People thought Rachel had given Ada a hard time - and she had. But it was nothing compared to Nancy when Ada was older, to boot!

• Members

I think Joanna Going tries her best to sell Lisa's psychic ability but it's rather thankless. And personally in order for supernatural abilities to work for me in fiction they have to be built into the premise from the start. They annoy me when they are dropped into an otherwise basically naturalistic story. 

I kind of slightly maybe understood why Sam accused Amanda of toying with him but I was flabbergasted when she admitted "at first it was a game" because I did not see it playing out that way at all at the time. I guess maybe she thought it was funny that he didn't know who she was when they first met but that is different from looking down on him because he was beneath her. 

• Members

Did Lisa have her psychic visions from the start?

One of the less talked about parts of AW that has always struck me as odd was that for most of their last 12 years on the air they had a psychic character. Lisa, then Frankie, then Remy. I wonder if this was a personal choice of someone backstage. 

• Members

I believe she did, but I may be wrong.  I didn't buy Lisa as a psychic at all.  Lisa was a romantic ingenue type, and that doesn't fit with the psychic stuff, in my opinion.  So I was happy when Harding Lemay (or possibly the writer previous to him) dropped Lisa's psychic schtick, and made her a full-on romantic heroine, in the triangle with Jamie and Vicki.  I loved Lemay's attempt at recreating the Alice/Steve/Rachel triangle with Lisa/Jamie/Vicki, and it was working until Swajeski pulled the plug, and sent Lisa out of town.

Very few head-writers since 1982 have been able to successfully write a long-term ingenue.  Not even Agnes Nixon had any success after Jenny Gardner, even though she tried a couple of times.   Exceptions were Lily Walsh on ATWT and Lily Winters on YR.  Since around 1982, most of the time the guy chooses the bad-girl over the good-girl, and the good-girl either leaves town or goes crazy.  Then the bad-girl reforms slightly, and becomes the star of the show.   Pure idiocy, in my opinion.