Another World

• Members

I would say that the period written by Agnes Nixon and then the first few years of the Lemay era (1971-74) were the best. The show was weaker between Nixon and Lemay, when Cenedella was on his own, but still okay.

IMHO, the writing started to show cracks in 1975, and Lemay's material from 1976 until he left was a step down from his earlier stuff.

Again, JMHO.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Eddie Drueding has been uploading 1988 episodes - I think some were already on Youtube in chunks but for me individual episodes are preferable. For anyone, like me, who is fascinated by strike-based material, 1988 AW will be one of the few mostly complete periods on Youtube (along with 1981 RH I suppose - and maybe 1981 AW) to show the effects of a writers strike. Episodes starting from April 12, 1988 were in the strike period. This will go through early/mid-October.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I would say that entire period (1965 to 1979) would be considered Another World's golden era.  But breaking it down between the three head-writers, the Cenedella years were the weakest -- but still extremely good.   Nixon, Cenedella, and Lemay were by-far AW's best head-writers.  Followed by Irna Phillips, and Donna Swajeski.   All the rest were hardly worthy of mention - just cogs in a merry-go-round of head-writers, while the show declined.  

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

Perhaps, but Sloane wasn't around long enough to establish a writing "era."  And most short-term head-writers (regardless of how bad they are/were) have moments of greatness.  But moments of greatness do not make anyone a well-regarded head-writer. To be a great head-writer, the writer must fill his/her era with extremely good material on a long-term consistent basis -- with occasional moments of weakness.   

I found Peggy Sloane's run a mixed bag. That said her run was way better than what would come after.  Lorna's rape felt like AW was copying Marty's rape over on OLTL. Not a big fan of Crissy Carson, San Cristobal or Brett Gardner. I adored Donna and Matthew's May/December romance. Felicia's alcoholism story was really good. At the time i also liked Carl and Rachel's romance. Not fully knowing their past history. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I wondered why there were no writers listed. It's a shame about the strike because it felt like the show was quite good in 1987 and then 1988 brought about so many storylines that never caught on/were never followed through on: Mary's past and role as therapist, Scott's past, the creepy flirtation with John and Cheryl, Sam's mother, Jason skulking about, etc. I'm not bored, but I'm confused now with the spring/summer AW.

I'm actually saddened by the destruction of the McKinnons. I enjoyed the characters and because I know Scott and Cheryl will be gone soon (followed months later by Vince and Mary), it's waiting for the inevitable. It also bothers me that the writers never really told the story of Stuart's Donna's departure story (the photo) and also just gave up on the Mary/Reginald stuff. 

Edited by chrisml

• Members

I thought Sloane’s first year was pretty solid I myself enjoyed the Christy Carson caper, Felicia’s alcoholism story, Jake/Paulina, Ryan/Vicky/Grant, Sharlene’s return and Matthew/Donna. However Sloane’s second year went off the rails between Kyle Barkely’s murder and then the complete and abysmal destruction of Iris as well as shoving Morgan and Brett as the “perfect 90’s couple” down viewers throats. 

• Members

Indeed.  It's tough to reconcile Sloane's earlier work at AW with the latter part, and she was only there two years, if that.  For most of her stint, I would only catch AW when I half shamefully tuned in to watch something outrageous on Reilly's DOOL and didn't change the channel.  Is it unkind to say that, in retrospect, AW at that time was a good palate cleanser between its lead-in and Nancy Curlee GL/Claire Labine GH?  The stakes were low, but many of the characters seemed relatable (although barely any of them seemed to be related to each other).  Even Iris herself was a formidable but dignified presence for most of that time, while other female characters in their 40s/50s even flourished in romantic stories. 

Then something consequential finally happened on Aw—to Iris—but it was still treated as low-stakes.  At least by the other characters, who laughed at her, then forgot about her, then became cozy with the ubervillains who facilitated her downfall. 

I also wonder about Lorraine Broderick's role, at AW and P&G in general in the mid-'90s.  She had been a head writer, successfully, but then was part of a large team of head writers at GL and seemingly took a demotion when she went to AW.  My guess is she had a hand in the social issue stories AW dabbled in at the time, which might have been better at GL, where there was more history and community reflected on the canvas that might have given those stories more lasting impact.  Meanwhile, there was no umbrella custody/parentage story on AW, which seemed to be Broderick's calling card at other soaps, and which could have brought some connection and drama to Bay City at that time.  How did Broderick not get equal billing, at minimum, given her resume?

Edited by DeliaIrisFan