Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks @jam6242 love this. Citron going from nerd to pimp in his photo makes me laugh for some reason - the shift in the early '70s in a glimpse, I suppose.

The backstage moments, especially the one with Beverly Penberthy and Susan Sullivan, are priceless. 

I wonder if these are new entries for AWHP (I'm sure if they are you're already on that).

The Lemay and especially Rauch sections almost feel like self-parody. 

They were certainly right about Bernice, as she was killed off a month or so after this article.

I don't get the impression Lemay had much use for the John Randolph character, but you could see how much viewers liked him.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I remember on one of the Locher Room AW reunions that one of the actors mentioned that Douglass Watson was going to have a big front burning story in 1989 and was off work on vacation when he passed.  Apparently he was going to the gym to get in shape to prepare for it... so whatever was being planned must have been huge.

• Members

I would love to know what the upcoming story for Doug Watson was. Since Mac had just found out about Iris's betrayal to take over Cory Publishing, it could have been good. Maybe leading Mac to no longer trust anyone in his family, inner circle. A Mac-against-the-world story could have been interesting. Turn him into Victor Newman. 

• Members

Years ago, I read an interview with Donna Swajeski in which she said the story she had written for Mac was essentially the Red Swan Mystery.  But she had to alter the plot details after Watson's death.  So she decided to connect the Red Swan thing to Mac Cory's death, saving her from throwing out the entire plot.  

Personally, I thought the Red Swan storyline was a total disaster from beginning to end.  And I don't think even having Mac alive could have saved it.  

• Members

I vaguely associate the Red Swan with Ken Jordan and Paulina so I was shocked to scan through the AWHP synopses from 1989 and 1990 and discover that for months and months before Ken arrives, people [Lucas, Derek, Mitch, Caroline, Griffen Sanders?] talk about and try to acquire the Red Swan by fair means or foul [and fail to notice it depicted in the background of a painting] but there seems to be no ultimate reveal about its significance. Was it intrinsically valuable? Did the papers it contained prove that Mac had had an affair with Paulina's mother? Was the painting evidence of anything at all? Did its function as a MacGuffin drive story in any meaningful way? If Mac had been alive would they have cast Paulina's mother to create a love triangle?   

• Members

If I remember correctly, the MacGuffin part of the plot just sort of fizzled out, before the storyline ended.  And no, I don't believe the red swan had any intrinsic value.  I never understood what made all those millionaires feel the desire to search for it.   Yes, I believe it did contain papers that proved Mac was Paulina's mother, but that is not what I would call intrinsic value.  Plus, the characters who were looking for the red swan were not aware of those papers until the swan was found.  Silly storyline, almost as bad as the Egyptian urn in Arizona and the Lumina cult.   

Mac Cory should have died with a dignified and believable plot that connected to his family and his business.  Not some silly MacGuffin chase.  I've always believed TPTB should have hired Harding Lemay to write Mac's demise.  Just give Lemay a contract to write one final storyline.  Oh well.  

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

When I look at that photo I think about how the costumes on east coast soaps were always more reflective of Manhatten than the Midwest.  I mean look at Pat, in 1979 there was no middle-aged housewife in suburban Michigan wearing such a chic bias-cut one-shouldered gown to a wedding or a work event.  Even Ada looked much more like she shopped at Henri Bendel than at Harmony House.

• Members

Well they are in formal wear for this photo so not reflective of the day to day wardrobe of these characters.

I'm sure an attractive, stylish woman like Pat might splurge on a designer dress for a special event.

Seeing that always makes me mad that Pat was written out, when she could have been part of a transition to a new era. 

• Members

Sharlene is perhaps the perfect example of this idea of a Mid-Western mom as styled by a Manhattan costume designer. 

Yes, she was re-introduced in 1988 wearing very little makeup and jeans. But, look at the accent on those buff shoulders, the immaculately plucked brows, and that blond hair; that color doesn't come from a box.

Please register in order to view this content

And later look at this haircut, it is very sophisticated.  It is meant to convey her independence and social mobility, yet it pings as inauthentic for both the setting and character history

Now, am I saying that people in the Midwest aren't chic?  Of course not.  But, it is undeniable that female characters on East Coast soaps (regardless of class) looked like they were dressed and styled in New York. I don't mean it was expensive, but they look intentionally fashionable which seems inherent to New York street style.

Older women like Ada, Beatrice, and Liz wore gabardine slacks and silk blouses that were obviously purchased at upscale boutiques.  I recently saw an episode of Aunt Liz talking to Sally while wearing Chanel earrings, and I don't know many matronly receptionists who shopped on Madison Ave.  And Ada wearing pants so often in the 70s seemed out of place for a grandmother, unless they were living in the East Village. Even Clarice and Lily were tacky but in a decidedly urbane way while wearing outfits with feathers and hats.

Furthermore, I would cite Matt Cory.  Yes, he was wealthy, artistic, and a world traveler but that slicked-back ponytail was way too edgy for Bay City and his coordinated high school clothes were hip-hop-influenced preppy that, to me, scream Manhattan in the early 90s (he'd make a fortune reselling that on Grailed today).

Obviously, all tv shows are costumed, but it has always stuck out to me how Another World was heavily influenced by New York retail.

Edited by j swift

• Members

This is calling to mind the legend of Julie Goodyear deliberately trying to find the tackiest but in character clothing possible for Bet Lynch. Can you imagine that note being pinned up on the AW bulletin board? "SATURDAY -- Trip to Target. Bring $50. Carpool if you can. XOXO, the Costume Department."