Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yesterday was Connie Ford's birthday. She'd have been 100. And, I found a picture of her in her early career that is new to me. Labeled as "Daisy Bronson" in ROME ADVENTURE. 

Please register in order to view this content

Talking about the feud between Nic Coster & Beverlee McKinsey, I don't find it odd that some actors just do not get along with each other, have clashing styles, etc. Beverlee had a photographic memory. She learned her lines & the punctuation & the stage directions and everyone else's lines, too. On the weekend she would begin with Friday & work through the week's scripts with Monday being the last one which would also be the one that she had to perform next. She said that she considered every possible direction she might be given so she'd be prepared to give that. Now, Coster apparently accused her of not being a spontaneous actor & that she always gave the same reading, unless she was specifically directed to do something different. Supposedly, to test her one time, he came to the set without his pants on, just his shirt hanging over his boxer shorts. He said she didn't even notice. Connie's my favorite actress. And I adore Beverlee & her son Scott is a friend online. And I liked Nic. He was very comfortable online. I give him kudos for having been married to Lisa on ATWT as 2 different husbands, John Eldridge & Eduardo Grimaldi! Nobody else has that distinction!!

• Members

I collect certain kinds of pictures & I fool around with filters & with AI images. My collections are Laughing, Toasting, Punching or Slapping, Girls in Swings and Goofy Faces. AW pix got me started on this because I found a picture of Douglas & Stephen & Kale laughing like crazy. And then I wanted a picture of Mac toasting & there were none to be found. So, I made some. Just using YouTube videos & screen-capping & editing. People ask me for picture of Felicia with long hair, when she had the hair extensions, her birthday, Jason's murder. There weren't any. So I made some. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Recently I found out from Scott McKinsey why Beverlee declined to come be in the AW finale. As many people surmised, it was her health. Living in Santa Barbara in 1998 she had a kidney transplant. Her doctors read her the riot act about being careful & changing her life, etc. to try to avoid organ rejection. Reluctantly she even sent her little dog Savannah back east to a dear friend in NY. She didn't fly. She was just very careful in all her every day doings. So then it was April or May 1999 when Chris Goutman called with the invitation. And that would have meant flying as well as a lot of energy expended on doing it. So, it's still our loss but it was definitely for cause. 

• Members

So they really were going to have Bev come back as Iris in 99?  I am surprised they just did not ask Carmen to come back since at this time the newer audience would have been more receving.  I would expect Beverlee to be much older at this time too and would have seemed odd as Iris would look much older the VW and especially her siblings, Amanda and Paulina but that would have been magical.

Edited by denzo30

• Members

Yes, Chris Goutman asked for some things & Bev was okay'd by P&G but then she declined.

Bev would've been 64 & Vicky was 54 but that age gap was the same earlier. Do you mean because Carmen was younger?

And, I agree that it would have been great drama for Bev to just appear at the Cory mansion. Maybe we'd hear her voice before we saw her ... And Vicky would be flabbergasted, totally thrown. What could have been ... 

Goutman asked for 2 months. Of course they said no. They were working with the fixed dates of the Olympics, though, so at least there was a reason. Supposedly he asked for something about the kind of show but no one knows what. 

• Members

I don't know how much of the AW audience in 1999 would have even remembered McKinsey. For me, Carmen Duncan was Iris. I would have been highly annoyed if Alexandra Spaulding had showed up as Iris during the show's last months (I was aware of McKinsey through GL and I'm not sure if I knew she had been Iris) rather than Duncan. Even as a child, I missed Duncan's Iris when they wrote her off in that ridiculous way.

• Members

I imagine a great many people would have had instant recognition of Bev.

But, then, frankly, Goutman was weird at the end in at least one way. He said over & over that we weren't going to do nostalgia in the last month or in the finale & then he did the gorilla/kidnapping of the groom that harkened specifically back to the gorilla of Cass/Felicia/Wally's high jinks time & possibly also to before that when Cecile had Cass kidnapped & kept him prison on Tanquir. Although Carolyn Culliton tweeted that it was Gary Tomlin & Sam Ratcliffe who came up with the gorilla for the finale. Ratcliffe was known for being the writer of a lot of AW comedy. I had asked her what she thought of being symbolically represented by a gorilla for all time. She said she "effin hated" it. But, that Gary's godfather to her oldest & she loved Sam so it was okay. That was when she revealed that she & Richard retired in April. 

I agree that the way they had Carmen's Iris rot in jail was not desirable. I thought she did a good job as Iris, but, I mean, no one could have bested Beverlee's interpretation. May they both rest in peace. 

• Members

I of course would have welcomed either actress back as Iris.  I'm not sure if I knew at that point that McKinsey had originated the role either, but even if I thought she was Alexandra, that wouldn't have been a bad thing either.

That said, if someone actually went to all that trouble to try and get Beverlee back but she was unable for medical reasons, they should have pivoted and ended with a recreation of Carmen's intro: a freeze frame of Rachel answering the doorbell and exclaiming in disbelief, "Iris!" without actually showing who was there.  If Iris had returned for the finale, I assume it would have been a cameo like Mark Pinter/Grant anyway, so why not?  That way, anyone watching could have imagined her as they remembered her.