Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That is an understatement.  

https://www.welovesoaps.net/2010/09/coster2.html

We Love Soaps: You shared many scenes Beverlee McKinsey.  What was that like?
Nicolas Coster: Well, I have to admit, it was not the most pleasant experience I ever had.  She had a photographic memory, and she was patronizing of people who did not.  Let’s leave it at that.

• Members

If you’re an actor and you know your lines cold and your scene partner doesn’t, I can see how that would get old fast.

So, this is heresy, but I never got all the accolades about Beverlee McKinsey. Her performances are fun, but she has that same over the top quality as other soap performers like Robin Strasser, Jess Walton, and Susan Lucci (thought I’ll admit she’s better than Lucci). Disclaimer: I’ve seen plenty of her Guiding Light work but not as much of her Another World work. And I thought she was miscast in her brief role on General Hospital.

• Members

It was a lot more complicated than that.  It had more to do with the two actors having differing acting and rehearsal styles.  He didn't appreciate her style, and she didn't appreciate his.  Coster explains their difficult relationship in his memoir (released about a year ago).   Both McKenzie and Coster were/are powerful actors, but they didn't make a good pairing.   

• Members

I read the Soaps & Serials novelizations when they came out in the 1980s and the cover of Haunted by the Past always amused me because the characters depicted had a faint resemblance to Ed Fry and Sally Spencer who were then playing Adam and MJ even though the novel was about storylines from 10 years earlier. 

I don't know if I was reading too much into things but I thought there was an element of classism in the Robert/Iris/Clarice triangle that explained more about why Iris pursued Robert than anything like love. But that is assuming that the Delaney family and his career as an architect made Robert that kind of catch. 

• Members

I've been watching some episodes from early 1989. I can tell at this point Rachel doesn't know that Evan is Janice's son. Who did know and when? I assumed that Iris would know and that's how she brought him into her dastardly scheme, so perhaps Jason also knew but not Sharlene?

Please register in order to view this content

I can't believe how long Amanda's investigation of Video Match went on. I was thinking that it was primarily an excuse to frame the Valentine for Singles episodes but it started in December and carried on into at least March. She and Sam went on a double date with James Kiberd and Jane Krakowski (or rather I should say she and James Kiberd as Dustin Trent went on a double date with Sam [pretending to be Amanda's brother] and Jane Krakowski as Tanya). 

It was a bit jarring to see Jamie so wholeheartedly devoted to Vicky while Lisa had nothing much to do. I suppose it was because Joanna Going was on the verge of leaving anyway. Perhaps if Lemay had stayed he would have made more of the triangle and the parallels to Rachel/Steve/Alice.

• Members

The photo that sparked the triplet rumours was shown to Anna Stuart as Donna right before she was institutionalized and subsequently recast as Philece Sampler. The audience was not shown the photo until much later when it was revealed to be John Hudson holding two bundles and the trigger was supposed to have been that it reminded Donna that because John had raped her as a teenager he could have been the father of the twins.

Nothing about the photo has ever made sense -- even if John had been in the same place as Marley and Victoria when they had just been born, it wouldn't be any type of evidence that he could be their father. What I don't remember noticing or discussing is that there appear to be palm trees in the background of the photo. I have always assumed that Reginald had faked the photo to freak Donna out. But if he did fake the photo, why wouldn't he have changed the background to make it look like John could have been in Bay City? And if he didn't fake the photo, and just fortunately happened to have one of John with two babies in Vietnam, why would anyone who sees it assume that the babies were Marley and Victoria instead of two Vietnamese babies?

http://www.anotherworldhomepage.com/donna.html

Please register in order to view this content