Another World

• Members

Yes, but I guess my point is that, unlike on Corrie, authenticity was not valued as much as being au courant in the AW costume department.

It's not meant as a criticism, Margarita Delgado was the costume designer for AW from 1985 to 1994.  She was fired by JFP and then worked for AMC and ATWT and won many Emmy Awards.  But, if you Google her then you can definitely see a lot of her personal style influence on the women of Bay City. 

Edited by j swift

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

i agree that the clothing. particularly on the less wealthy characters was not always authentic. Was this more of an aspirational 80's thing?

I remember reading one costume designer admitting that the clothing for the characters was a couple of rungs up on what that character might wear in real life. But it was part of the mindset that viewers wanted a fantasy version of real life.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The May 4th anniversary passed unremarked this year. It would have been the 59th. Next year will be the 60th so maybe we're saving up for a big diamond jubilee.

I don't think I remember knowing the fact [the broadcast itself was before my time] that Sarah Cunningham was the first Liz Matthews on day 1 who was then replaced by Audra Lindley on May 7. And apparently Audra Lindley's last day in the role happened to be June 25, 1969, exactly 30 years before the series finale. 

• Members

Deadline has another WGA Strike article up with various photos. One photo includes Thomas Ian Griffith and Mary Page Keller. Griffith seems to rock a gray beard.

All pictures are labeled, albeit in tiny lettering, but scroll among the other photos and you should come across it. (Just click the above link.)

Edited by Wendy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It doesn't seem as if Ian was charged with manslaughter or anything either. Clearly problem solved -- the bad guy was dead and Felicia was not technically guilty.

I liked Ian as a character reasonably well at the time, but somehow now 30 years later I wonder if he and Derek Dane had essentially the same function and maybe I only preferred Ian because I found him better looking. 

• Members

Does anyone else remember Helga and Sven?  Helga was hired as the Cory's new housekeeper, after Beatrice Gordon left.   A few days after Helga started work, her cousin (or was it brother?), Sven arrived.   Sven did handyman jobs at the Cory estate and also for Iris for a few weeks, until Mac and Rachel finally hired him as a low-wage gardener or something.  Sven caused all kinds of havoc -- plotting with Iris to break-up Mac and Rachel; threatening Helga and her young daughter, Regina; murdering the Cory stable man, Rocky; and kidnapping Rachel.  At the end of the storyline it was revealed Sven was not Helga's cousin (or brother?) at all -- but her former lover.  And Sven had years-earlier murdered Helga's husband, Knut. Was Sven Regina's bio-father?  That was never revealed.    

• Members

That was one of the more plot driven stories that Lemay chose  (was pressured to?) write . It worked for the ratings and was AW's last successful period.

But once it was over, there was no fall out and ratings began to drop.

I think it worked because it was unexpected. Unlike other shows eg Search, where there was an annual murder story, Lemay had shied away so it really had an impact.

• Members

I don't remember these characters first hand, and I believe the novelizations end before the storyline starts, but there are some oddities in the AWHP synopses for 1977 and the character guide. According to the character guide, Regine's father's name was Knut and according to the synopsis for January 31, 1977, Sven's character name was originally Knut (and Helga referred to Sven as her cousin). On February 10th, Lars was mentioned as the name of Helga's husband who died. Then in July Helga starts having nightmares about her husband and Regine's father, Knut, whom Helga married only because she was pregnant and she seems to suggest that she would have preferred Sven.

At the same time Regine had become pregnant by someone called Cliff, but as part of his evil moneymaking scheme Sven engineered a situation where he put an unconscious Regine in bed with an unconscious Mac and expected to force Mac to marry her or at least pay blackmail or something.

So on the one hand maybe Helga simply did marry Knut because he was Regine's father. But it could also be possible that Sven and/or Helga had an elaborate scheme to take advantage of Knut by claiming he was Regine's father when Sven was actually her father.

http://www.anotherworldhomepage.com/aw1977d.html

• Members

I did watch it and she hasn't aged a bit. She seems like such a lovely person. Of course there was a lot of personal background talk (which I found interesting), but her talk of AW was all positivity.

I was surprised that she said the set of OLTL she found to be tense and it wasn't the best experience. She did admit that it was during Clint Ritchie's accident which kind of derailed the planned story for her. She said it had a whole different vibe than AW out in Brooklyn and it was obvious to her that some of the actors/egos were in charge of the show. 

Anna said that her, Alice Barrett, Anna Stuart, Amy Carlson and a couple of BTS still regularly get together. 

It's definitely worth a listen. She's very charming. I just wish they would have talked more about AW but I don't think Alan has any idea about the show.