Another World

• Members

Beverlee McKinsey "City Lights" interview, said to be her most candid

This is a Facebook link. I'm not sure everyone will be able to access it but where her son Scott who is on Facebook put it up, well that's just where it is. 

I believe that too. Also I am almost positive that's what the two of them thought. Something along the line of them canceling each other out & leaving the door wide open for Dailey to sashay through. In Beverlee's rare "City Lights" interview with the Canadian "Dick Cavett" Bev talks about being at the Emmys & losing & the two of them going immediately after to the nearest restaurant, taking the first table available, screaming for "Liquor!" & settling in with a bottle, just the two of them, her & Vicky (she called her) & not open to anyone else joining them, they drank & commiserated for hours. 

She also credits Vicky with giving her the courage & belief in herself to play hardball in negotiations for TEXAS. They screwed up because they built it around her Iris without knowing if she was interested. 

Oh, yes, good thoughts all. My personal list of "Never Won an Emmy" begins with Beverlee & VW. 

@teplin  Your post 100% personifies my own personal feelings on the matter! 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
reply to one more

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Also add that Carmen Duncan deserved an Emmy nomination as Iris in 1989 when Mac confronted Iris about being The Chief and when Rachel told her that Mac had died.

Other AW actresses that also deserved Emmy nominations in the 1980s were Constance Ford (Ada) as supporting actress and Anna Stuart (Donna) and Nancy Frangione (Cecile) gave just as good, if not better performances, than the often nominated Susan Lucci.

• Members

Carmen Duncan's Iris being revealed as the chief is something I won't ever forget. Duncan was extraordinary. She never got the acclaim she deserved. So many AW actors should have won Emmys: Wyndham, Duncan, Anna Stuart, David Forsyth, Alice Barrett, McKinsey (based on YT clips I've seen), Schnetzer, etc. come immediately to mind. 

I don't know if I buy into the split vote theory where two costars split the votes. A lot of times a performer will win over their castmate. I've noticed a pattern where the person who wins usually has the weaker tapes. 

• Members

It does my heart good to talk about this with other people who also feel AW got short shrift at the Emmys. 

Of course, that idea that two costars split the vote & leave the way open for a third, lower-tier person to win, is just as old as the hills, but I don't think having been said for years makes it accurate necessarily. 

• Members

I've just now had some time to go look at the weekly ratings Jason47 has been posting. OMG Oy vey, what a goldmine! And, so fracking gracious of him to put in the time & effort. So, with a grateful heart here's the first of interest here. 

March 5th & 6th, 1979
2 pm timeslot Eastern
GL Roger raped Holly
OLTL Karen Wolek on the witness stand admitted to being a prostitute 
AW first 90 min. show & the death of John Randolph 
(ranked 3rd AMC 8.7/32 share)
ranked 3rd GL 8.7/29 share
ranked 5th OLTL 8.5/30 share
ranked 8th AW 7.4/24 share

Edited by Donna L. Bridges

• Members

Jumping around a bit in the late 80s. It's a bit hard to watch some of Vicky's scenes where she is acting out because of her custody conflict with Jamie and she is driving recklessly with Evan, especially when I also bounce to her coma in 1987.

Are Rick and Julie Anne AW's first interracial couple? I was just watching a scene where Rick is confiding in Lisa of all people that he is struggling a bit for some reason and thinking how odd that he wouldn't think to talk to his partner Courtney. Maybe he does at some point.

• Members

Wow - it's great to read people enjoying those late 80s-early 90s years! That was AW to me. Anne Heche's Vicky (and Marley,) Carmen Duncan's Iris, VW, RKK, prime Cass/Frankie and Felicia, John and Sharlene, CRAZY Taylor...those were the days!

• Members

Okay, I have returned to the subject of Irene Dailey's 1979 Best Actress Emmy. Someone's told me that they believe she won it for one scene, which could have been the way they did eligibility then, and she was talking to Michael Randolph & expressing that she did not feel valued or needed within the family. Does anyone remember this? And, hardest ask of all, has anyone seen any YT that early of Liz?

• Members

I don't recall that scene specifically but AbcNbc247 posted a compilation a few weeks ago on this thread that included a 1976 scene between Michael & Liz in which she expressed much the same sentiment. It's really quite heartbreaking, the kind of character beat soaps used to do all the time but don't anymore. It's on page 610 of this thread and the scene kicks in at about 20:00. 

AbcNbc247, I meant to thank you back then for posting this and I was remiss – I really appreciate it, I loved every bit of it.