Y&R: Week of April 27, 2009

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They don't write the character well but I will admit Vail doesn't hit the potential complexity beats to playing the DA. She's robotic, she plays her unwound for what-ever reason but that's about it for humanizing her. I do agree if this was mostly what the actress was hired to do or if she realized it was her primary role on the show then she should if she could seize the opportunity but I just love her in every other instance as Heather.

• Members

Vail has the chops, or could grow. I really think she has shown us the two layers I wrote about earlier.

The thing is, so far, it's all subtext. Which is fine, but some of you are wanting to see more explicit text addressing her duality--her defended outer self and her soft, fragile, afraid-to-love, prone-to-bad-choices inner self.

Me, actually, I prefer the subtler approach. Before yesterday, when Jill EXPLICITLY addressed the source of her pain, it was just as clear to us, because Jess Walton played the pain so beautifully in all her lashing out.

Bloom is not up to Walton's skills--not yet. But I'm much happier when they give it to us in subtext that in declarative text. MUCH. Then I feel like the writers are challenging me to thing, interpret, and actually WATCH for the non-verbals as well as the verbals. Otherwise, we wouldn't need the show...we could just survive on transcripts.

• Members

I'm all about subtext, MarkH. Question is, though, is it actually there for Heather, and for VB's interpretation of the character; or are we attaching it to her to make up for a lack of it?

• Members

I've had a quick scan and it looks like just a load of Y&R discussion. ::shocked::

Vail Bloom: Actress or MTA? Discuss, mega MJ speculation, etc. People were being polite and everything! :o

Archived