GL Tribute

Dan

• Members

If it was 1993, then it was before January 6th. By then, Ross had already chosen to resign his seat. There's a scene of him on the bed watching the new senators on tv. Considering Maureen probably found Lillians' note and confronted her in the previous few episodes, then it must be 1992. (The reason I include Maureen is the scene in that clip set on the tube with Mo and Ed.)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Betty Rea was given the Editor's Award at the 1994 Soap Opera Digest Awards. She casted Sherry Stringfield, Melina Kanakaredes, Nia Long in the early 1990s, and Kevin Bacon and Ian Ziering among others in the 1980s. Was she the one who discovered Allison Janney, Cynthia Watros, Sharon Leal, Hayden Panettiere, Tammy Blanchard, Taye Diggs, Bethany Joy Galeotti, Brittany Snow during the remainder of the 1990s? I don't know how long Betty Rea was Guiding Light's casting director or if she is still alive.

Compare the actors Guiding Light has found to Y&R's graduates, ie. Tom Selleck, David Hasselhoff, Phil Morris, Paul Walker, Monica Potter, Eddie Cibrian, Shemar Moore, Vivica A. Fox, Penn Badgely, Eva Longoria (that's all I can think of at the moment). For whatever reason Procter and Gamble's shows have discovered alot more breakout talent than the Bell shows.

• Members

Betty Rea was GL's casting director from 1970 to 1996, the longest tenure of any soap opera casting director, I believe. She also simultaneously the casting director for ATWT from 1979 to 1983.

She retired in 1996 and died in 1999. From 1996 to 1998, she was a casting consultant for Proctor & Gamble Productions.

• Members

Oh, wow, GLMemories on YouTube is posting tons of stuff from the early 90's on YouTube right now. Mindy's 1993 fashion show, Frank and Eleni's 1993 wedding, and the ending of the Acapulco storyline from 1990.

I think I'm in heaven...

He also did this MVID of clips from 1992-1993, I remember a lot of this stuff so vividly. I wish I could see the full episodes of Harley and Mallet at the Vietnam Memorial again, as well as David helping Bridget deliver Peter again, in particular.

• Members

Spauldingfield on YouTube has done some really great character profile videos for a few characters.

I really like this one he/she made for Jenna Bradshaw, one of the characters I was fortunate to see from her debut on the show in 1992 to her death in 1998. Fiona Hutchinson is one underrated talent.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This thread is wayy too quiet...

For this clip, I wanted to show a bit of skin. 1992 was the year that Ross Marler and Jerry ver Dorn became one of daytime's hottest (and most surprising) sex symbols. And it all began with the first scene in this clip, which originally aired on June 30, 1992 and set to the song "Night and Day" by U2. In the midst of a city-wide blackout, Blake and Ross succumb to their desires. But once the flood gates opened, they would not close and these two had more sex in this year than a bunch of rabbits.

Enjoy.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

• Members

I loved Bridget, she was one of those characters who kept growing and changing and could have a great longterm heroine. The way they made her into this bitter, Hart-obsessed frump was so disheartening. They had her and Nola on the show together for a while and Nola had also become a bitter frump. It was a very shameful writing choice from McTavish.

I remember when Blake went swimming naked at the country club pool, just so Ross would see her. I was shocked and I couldn't believe what was going to happen, but they were so perfect together. I grew to enjoy Liz and Jerry but they never had that electricity of Jerry and Sherry. Those scenes are among the hottest I've seen anywhere, on anything.

When I watch clips from that era I get sad, about what was to come, but those episodes are still a joy to watch. Other episodes I have a hard time watching, because of what is to come, is the stuff from Pam Long, especially knowing she was about to decimate the Bauers.

My favorite clips to watch are those written by the Dobsons and Marland. They seem to "get" GL, their shows and characters were wonderfully balanced and complex, assuming viewers were intelligent, and they both laid foundations which served GL well for decades (and could have served them even longer if future regimes hadn't undone much of that work). Marland's work is fascinating for me to watch because his style seems very different from his ATWT style. There's less of a traditional, conservative nature. There are still solid families, but there's also a bite, a stronger sense of flair and camp. I think this suits the show well because GL was always a little more out there than ATWT. Nancy Hughes was very stolid but Bert Bauer was much more emotional, out of control, for many years. While ATWT had tension and triangles and neuroses, GL had increasingly insane characters like Kit Vested wreaking havoc.

Here are some moments of crazy yet perfectly fitting into the plot camp from his era.

One of Carrie's alters blithely trashes Amanda to Alan, spreading gossip as Alan looks on in shock and horror.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OD1qvq4Io8...re=channel_page

Vanessa (who is a true malovelent/bizarre/hilarious presence in his writing) pounds on Eve's door and hurls threats at her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fTHEL8xy4M...re=channel_page

Diane Ballard's rise and fall is also utterly brilliant soap:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=classi...ry=machinations

• Members

Here are some great Ed/Mo and Ed/Fletcher scenes from Feb. 89. They are from A-M and Harley's wedding episodes. I also really love the Blake/Phillip scenes (part 10, etc.) and the Alex/"Adam" (Roger) scenes from other parts of the "Captivated Audience" selection of clips.

Ed and Mo (Their scene starts at 3:52)

Ed and Fletcher (Their scene starts at 2:58)

Archived