GL Tribute

Dan

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi all. Years ago when I was doing some "Days of Our Lives" research on creator Irna Phillips, I got a copy of one of her 1937 GL scripts. I don't know if any of these are available online but I'd be happy to scan it (if I can find it in storage somewhere).

• Members

Oh, yes, yes, yes, please! For any fan of the genre, seeing her original "pen" (well, you know what I mean..what she dictated and her assistant recorded and typed) would be just like touching the source....

• Members

Clip Series #3: 1966

After the birth of Hope, Bert Bauer dove in to her role of grandmother, neglecting everyone else, including her own husband, Bill. The marraige became further strained with the tension between bert and her son Mike. By the time that Bill Bauer received a job at the Springfield branch of his PR firm (FYI, this was during the time the show shifted to Springfield), the marraige was in dire straights. So it was no wonder that lecherous Bill would have an affair and fall in love with his new secretary Maggie Scott. Bert saw Bill and Maggie hold hands, but slipped away without being scene. Everything could have righted itself naturally had Ben Scott (Maggie's ex) not gotten into an accident, where new doctor Ed heard about his father's affair and berated him. After a co-worker convinced him to have a few drinks, not realizing he was an alchoholic, Bill fell off the wagon. On a trip to her friend Jane's, Bert was surprised to find Maggie and lets her have it for having an affair with her husband.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

• Members

Wow, great find!

Somewhere out there, episodes of GL and ATWT from 1972-1974 exist, and I won't rest until I see them! That's like THE age of greatness for ATWT, IMO. WashesWhiter had a brief snippet of an ATWT episode from '74 with Kim and Jennifer talking about John at Jennifer's apartment. So short, but so fab.

• Members

I've always loved the Christmas 1992 episode. To me, it's the best, or at least, one of the best Christmas episodes I've ever seen - and it represents what Guiding Light is all about - community, family, hope, and unity. I believe the script is written by Patrick Mulcahey (he's the one last listed in the credits), and Nancy Curlee's meticulous writing somewhat foreshadows the tragedy that was about to come - Maureen's death, which would happen soon afterwards (on January 8, 1993). I LOVE the closing shot of Ed and Maureen dancing.

">

">

">

">

">

">

• Members

I find it absolutely fascinating when you compare these scenes with the ones right after Maureen's passing. The set design and lighting make the show look so warm and inviting for the holidays and then after the tragedy, the entire house has this pale of death, cold and sterile and dark. That production team was brilliant. Truly brilliant!

• Members

When the show FINALLY decided to acknowledge Charita Bauer and thus Bert Bauer's passing, they gave us this montage of Bert. I still hate the way they handled Charita's/Bert's passing, but I love the montage.

">

Archived