GL Tribute

Dan

• Members

I always thought that was a gorgeous opening, although it also brings some memories which hurt GL badly (like the Bauer hatefest of 1984). My favorite opening is the disco opening of 1982. It's a bizarre opening for such a conservative soap but GL was not conservative at that time, it did have home and heart, but was also campy, inventive, you never knew what would happen next.

I love watching scenes in that disco. You look at the disco ATWT had a few years earlier and it looks ludicrous. I saw that one clip and it was a middle-aged woman waving a feather boa, which I'm sure was realistic for discos in the burbs but is not exactly entertaining (I did love the door though, it was like a star they walked through). GL's disco stuff was such good fun. GL always had that edge, that flair, while still having traditions and a core identity.

You can't say that about a lot of other soaps. GL was so special for so long and survived so much.

Mitch, I could not stand Jenna the first time around. The only time I liked her was around Michelle or Henry. I hated Jenna/Buzz, I hated what Nadine had to go through. Only after Nadine was gone did I accept Jenna, and began to like her, only for her to also be violently killed for no reason other than some personal grudge against the actress.

I don't mind them bringing up Jenna so much now but I wish they could remember Nadine too :(

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The disco opening is also a favorite of mines. It also reminds me of the fact that show was running on all four cylinders at the time, at the top of its game, though I wasn't around to watch, the announcer coming in at the end of the opening stating that you were watching the award winning Guiding Light made it sound like it was at the top of its class and simply unstoppable. GL was at the time was unstoppable, until Marland left and the show was never really the same after that.

Plus, in an era when Disco was in, I guess America's oldest soap having a splashy disco opening made it more "hip" than any of the soaps at the time.

So true.

Really? I loved Jenna at first but my liking of her waned after the fall out with Roger and Spaulding. I do wonder what they would have done if they had in fact made Jenna, Henry's daughter. I don't think it would have went well with most viewers seeing how Henry had already another illegitimate child; Quint. I loved Nadine as well, one of my favorite stories is watching her trying to hold onto the life she had made for herself with Billy. Jean Carol is truly one of a kind.

• Members

Eh, is it blasphemy to not like that opening? My only exposure to it, as well as the era it represents, has been on YouTube/The World of Soap Themes, but whenever I see the later version in which they added Reva, I always laugh (for the wrong reasons) at how the music reaches a crescendo just as Reva is having a tantrum. As though Reva and the music are literally in sync in their overwrought excess. In this first version, before KZ premiered, that guy (Rick? Jim?) falling on the floor while trying to dance at that same point in the theme seems so out of place... It's like Pam Long or somebody sat down with the composer and explained that very shortly the show was going to center around a loud, melodramatic "diva" and that there needed to be an appropriate point in the theme song to showcase her, and then in the meanwhile the person who edited the clips just stuck that scene in as a placeholder.

My favorite opening, and era of the show, was definitely the early '90s when Reva was "dead."

• Members

I thought you GL fans might get a kick out of this. My local newspaper, The Star Press (Muncie, IN) is asking for GL fans to share their favorite memories of the show (and for people that don't particular care for soaps in general, to share their reasons, too.). This was a pleasant surprise because I just didn't expect a local newspaper to care about a canceled soap opera. And as far as I know, this hasn't been done before, at least not in recent memory. Anyway, here's the article:

So long, 'Guiding Light'

It's time to say goodbye to Reva, Phillip, Bill, Olivia and Springfield. After 72 years, it's a wrap for Guiding Light. The final episode of the daytime soap will air Sept. 18.

You grew up watching Guiding Light. Your mom and grandma watched the show. Now it's almost over. As sad as this moment might be for many, The Star Press wants to give the soap the send off it deserves. We need you, Guiding Light fans, to call or e-mail with your favorite characters, scenes or moments from the show. Contact reporter Oseye Boyd at 765-213-5830 or [email protected]. Some of you might be asked to put your thespian skills on display and act out favorite scenes for www.thestarpress.com.

Oh, and we haven't forgotten about the haters. We know there are a lot of people who have a general disdain for all things soap opera. It's time to explain why you don't like them, particularly Guiding Light. Call or send your comments to reporter Oseye Boyd at 213-5830 or [email protected].

If they put something in the paper or on their website, I'll be sure to come back here and post a link.

• Members

I haven't seen this posted yet.

I came across this interview with Judi Evans in which she spends some time talking about her years at GL. She has some nice things to say about both Vincent Irizarry and Grant Alesander (I've always heard she had difficult time working with them - but either time heals, the rumors weren't true or she's being very PC about it all) and her experiences at GL. She tells a great story about the wonderful Beverlee McKinsey and other GL legends that she worked with during that time. It's a very nice interview for JE fans and GL fans.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/buzzworthyradio/2009/08/19/BuzzWorthy-Radio-Judi-Evans

• Members

^Thanks Helena.

So I came across this clip, and this is why it rang so true to me when I first learned that Phillip and James’s relationship was going to be a fractured one. It kind of paralleled Alan and Phillip's relationship, and in this scene Chris Berneau (ex-Alan) really nails this scene at the end. The scene aired in April 1984 and Alan I think is about to go on the run. He shares an emotional good-bye to Phillip. I know the scene could never be used as a flashback on the show today to go with the story of Phillip trying to make in roads with his son, but it says so much about Phillip's current situation. If only the story was written well and not going a snail's pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjPuqCwIyEc

• Members

Cynical question here, or perhaps serious one; did they just kill Jenna off so they could Justin Deas some Emmy worthy scenes?

Looking at some of the video of JD from 1993 to the mid 90s, could one say that the way he plays out a emotional scene is to a lesser degree how Tom Pelphrey plays an emotional scene? Only with TP, it's basically x1000.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I mentioned that my local newspaper (The Star Press, Muncie, IN) was planning to do an article on local fan reactions to Guiding Light's cancellation. The article was in today's newspaper.

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20090916/LIFESTYLE/909160334/-Light-s-out--Demise-of-long-running-soap-disappoints-diehard-fans&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL#pluckcomments

I think you have to do a very brief demographic survey (age, gender and location) in order to view their articles online, so I'll copy and paste the article below for those that don't want to do that.

Something I found of particular interest is that of the few comments from fans that they included in the piece, about half mentioned Kim Zimmers weight gain. LOL! I find this funny only because it really seems to have been an issue with a lot of fans, even my mom has made comments about it. Weird.

Oh, and of course, one poor guy must have confused Guiding Light with ATWT. LOL!

'Light's out: Demise of long-running soap disappoints diehard fans

By OSEYE T. BOYD • [email protected] • September 16, 2009

Local fans are saddened and furious that the soap opera's final episode will air on Friday, ending a 72-year run that began with radio. Some speculate the current recession has brought about the show's demise.

"I don't understand them taking it off unless they can't get sponsors," said Hazel Thomas, 68, a dedicated fan for 50 years.

Guiding Light is more than a soap opera for the legions of fans who regularly tune in. It's a way to vicariously live through others or realize your problems pale in comparison.

"I really hate that it's going off -- Josh, Reva, Billy and all those kids and everything is like my family," said Muncie resident Trisha Layne, 46. "I know a lot of people think soap operas are corny, but when I'm feeling down I realize my problems aren't that bad."

The news hit fans hard. Emotions ran the gamut: shock, dismay, disbelief. Take any show off, but leave Guiding Light alone, they said.

"I've went through divorces." Layne said. "I lost a daughter when she was 12. You can relate with it, but you can see how far-fetched it is. It entertained me. I loved it."

Layne's love of Guiding Light came at 12 or 13 when she began watching with her grandmother who kept her while her mother was at work. Layne's daughter also is a fan, making it four generations of women who have watched the show.

Thomas is such a fan she got her husband, Stuart, 74, to watch after he retired. That was about 12 to 15 years ago.

Stuart watched here and there before retiring, but he never spent much time on it.

Talk about Guiding Light and one name inevitably comes to mind: Reva Shayne Lewis Spaulding Lewis Cooper Lewis. Or simply, Reva or Reva Shayne. Love her or hate her, she's the show, fans say.

Played by Kim Zimmer, Reva has lived a full life, to say the least. She's married brothers and their father, been hit by car, hit her own son by a car, jumped into frigid water to commit suicide and baptized herself in a water fountain.

"She's just been on the show for so many years, and she is an important part of the show," said Helen Ogden, 56. "When she disappeared for awhile, everybody was going, 'Bring her back.' They brought her back after having amnesia."

After Friday, Guiding Light's time slot will be filled with The Price Is Right reruns until Oct. 5 when Let's Make A Deal hosted by Wayne Brady will air.

"I'm just crazy about it, and I think they'll put something stupid on if they take that off," said Audrey Anderson, 81.

Fans share why they love 'Guiding Light'

Helen Ogden, Farmland, 56

"My mother watched it before I was born. I'm still watching it."

Favorite character: "Reva Shayne. It's unbelievable that she can just cry at will. I'm just thinking, 'Wow, Reva!' She just cries at will, whenever, every day, and to me, that has been my long time thing: I can not believe that one person can cry as much she can. I can't believe all these years she has ballooned. It's pretty bad in the show when they have to make her pregnant. It was only because she was gaining so much weight. Now, it's baby fat."

Trisha Layne, 46, Muncie

"I'm 46. I started on it when I was like 12, 13."

Favorite character: "Reva. Even Alan Spaulding."

Favorite situation: "When Reva had Marah. I just loved that."

Hazel Thomas, 68, Muncie

Favorite character: "I guess all of 'em except Reva now she's getting so fat. I do like all of em. I don't want to see a woman that age having babies. I like Bill, Lizzie. I like Josh and Shane -- I really like him. Edmond -- I can't stand him."

Most disliked situation: "I didn't like it when Tammy got hurt."

Stuart Thomas, 74, Muncie

Favorite character: "Just Holden and his bunch."

Audrey K. Anderson, 81, Selma

"I don't want them to take it off. I've been into it for way over 50 years, and I'm still into it."

Favorite character: "Bill Bauer is one of them, and I think he's dead or gone. Just all of 'em. I like 'em all. I just wonder who's going to get in trouble next. That's the reason why I liked 'em. It's just interesting."

'Guiding Light' through the years

•Guiding Light was created by soap matriarch Irna Phillips (who also masterminded As the World Turns and Days of Our Lives, now NBC's lone daytime drama).

•It debuted on NBC radio on Jan. 25, 1937, as a 15-minute serial. It revolved around a minister named Rev. Dr. John Ruthledge (played by Arthur Peterson) and his congregation in Five Points, Ill.

•The show came to CBS television on June 30, 1952, as a 15-minute serial. It aired on both radio and television. The cast had to perform scripts twice a day.

•In 1968, Guiding Light expanded to 30 minutes and, in 1977, it became a full hour.

•Actors and actresses who appeared on Guiding Light through the years include Billy Dee Williams, James Earl Jones, Kevin Bacon, JoBeth Williams, Ian Ziering, Sherry Stringfield, Melina Kanakaredes and Allison Janney.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I may be one of the few viewers who despised Buzz for a very long time. He was such a self-pitying jerk in my book ... and not even the beautiful and talented Justin Deas could turn that around for me at first. I couldn't stand the sight of Buzz before Nadine died, and could just barely stand looking at him after she did. Nadine's gloriously desperate behavior made me dislike Buzz all the more. I can't remember when I started liking the guy, but before I did it always annoyed me that he not only abandoned his children and left Nadine to fend for her life and theirs (and then of course she then ends up deserting them). AH! Then came Lucy, the reminder that Buzz rebuilt his life leaving Frankie to raise Harley and Harley to have to give her firstborn up for adoption.

Buzz's incessant whining about his 'great love' Jenna, and later forcing Cyrus on his family (much like Lucy) almost brought all of that back. All of Buzz's highs and lows seem to be linked to the children his 'great loves' bore, but not so much Frank and Harley. He really was written as a selfish bastard... but DRAT I'm going to miss him and wish I could find out what life is like for Lillian and Buzz as a married couple.

Up until Mo's death and Wheeler's new format, there really wasn't a lot I hated about GL. There is something about GL's cast that kept me hanging on knowing that the writers who sucked would end up leaving sooner or later and the cast would pull it all back together again.

• Members

It also took me a long time to get to tolerating or liking Buzz. I hated the way he treated Nadine, and the way she chased after him. I thought his initial relationship with Jenna was very irritating and he was much too stylized.

I didn't really start to like him more until he calmed down (I think that OTT ranting during the Fifth Street Fire was the peak of the JUSTIN DEAS, ACTOR!!! phase). Strangely enough I think I really started to like him when he married Reva.

There was also a scene I liked where he and Jenna were sitting in an empty tub and he was wearing nothing but a Bob Fosse style fedora and his briefs. He got out of the tub and I was shocked at the body he had at the time. It was very nice. I think that was probably one of the more tolerable Buzz scenes I remember from that era. :P

Archived