CBS cancels Guiding Light

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LMAO about the sedan :). "Sweating my balls off...".

You know what. I HOPE you are right. I really, sincerely do. I love this genre. If only I could fine ONE example of a show that "picked itself up" and regained audience share and viability. The last example I can think of is GH in the late 1970s/early 80s...but lots of people call that "the final death knell for the genre".

Anyway...sad day, no matter what.

• Members

Okay. So the future of these shows' legacies is f*cking Youtube, eh?

I'm thinking March 31 must have been some internal CBS deadline for the budgets for the next fiscal year. Seriously.

But honestly, when would be a good time? I think maybe the TVWeek story sort of forced the hand...

• Members

F-U-C-K trying to search for a new home. It didn't work for Passions, Edge of Night, Search for Tomorrow and it won't work for GL. Just write the hell out of this show for the next few months and give us a send-off that will make our toes tingle.

• Members

No. I think Frons has his eye on Jeff Branson, Marcy Rylan and Gina Tognoni for ABC's current soaps. Maybe Crystal Chappell. Maybe Cosgrove. Definitely Tom Pelphrey. But GL as a whole? No.

• Members

I will always maintain that the format, the daily serialized home and family or story, is immortal. It goes back centuries, maybe longer. It's how it is utilized and presented. The vehicle, the process may change; the appeal of the serial never will. Children, mothers, college students will always be lonely, will always want to turn on the TV and find a family or a town if it's presented with humanity and intelligence. If they do it on iTunes or YouTube or Hulu next, they'll still do it, whether the show is on at 12 or 2. It is up to the stewards of the format to help it navigate. The problem is, most of the stewards just want to be working someone else.

Archived