GL: February Discussion

• Members

I thought today's show was nicely done. I still wish that they would stop with some of the awful background music. The sets..etc were more tolerable today. I guess GL is back in my DVD recording schedule. Let's hope it lasts.

Btw..so Coop was in the hospital and he got no attention??? Wow, lawsuit??

Here is a link of Philips past..a few clips with India...etc.

http://www.cbs.com/daytime/guiding_light/timeline/

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great show today! It's just great soap opera. I love the production model. It's so hard going from Guiding Light to other soaps now. Yes, some of the indoor sets are small...and the budget is crazy...but I greatly admire what they can pull off. I love the outdoor stuff...again, it makes looking at other soaps hard for me at least. Also, my partner who is not a soap fan, will actually watch this show with me...and likes it. To me, that's a sign that they are doing something good over at the Light. I hope many check it out...the show deserves the praise it's getting. And, for those how are concerned, in my opinion, the quality has been this good for a few months now. They are on al roll...and I really suggest other soap fans check it out. It's great writing, acting, and yes, production. After years of bad soaps, it's so nice to come home from work and look forward to this show. Check it out guys...you won't be sorry.

• Members

After today's show, I'm shocked that nobody has commented yet!

That's three cliffhangers in a row now. That's more than what I get with OLTL in a week! lol

I'm going to love the Alan/Buzz/Phillip confrontation.

I'm glad they brought this Phillip back with the memoriesof his loved ones fresh from the last time he was in Springfield.

"Blue skies and palomino ponies."

:o Call me shocked when I heard Phillip mention that to Rick today. They're really trying to honor the history of the Four Musketeers aren't they?

• Members

I'm glad GL is trying to go back to what Phillip was before he went completely insane. Rick and Beth have never been quite the same without Phillip around. I don't want to see a reunion between Beth and Phillip but I'd like a solid bond between them. They have a common enemy again, in Alan, so that will help.

GL is smart to go back to past history, yet history which is still relevant today, instead of bringing in more new characters. Whether this will translate to ratings, I don't know, but I think it's helping give the show a focus which it has not had in some time.

• Members

For me... just no words can describe the performances turned out by BC, JD, GA, and RR. I loved MOL's scenes with Phillip and liked Coop today. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see how all this plays out!! :D

It was also nice to see Josh/Reva having "breezy" scenes together. I miss those two just being like that with each other. Loved the end with Edmund watching the Lewises and Dinah watching him.

Is it tomorrow yet?!

• Members

After today's episode, I think it's high time they put Reva and Josh back together. Zimmer and Newman still have that same old chemistry in spades and they showed it today. Jeffrey who? And Branson keeps impressing me greatly. After a rather anemic run at AMC, I would NEVER have thought that he would fit so well with this character. While I'm still on the Lewises, their scenes at Company were really good, as were Dinah and Edmund's scenes at (I think) Olivia's or Towers (?). Dinah was right, Reva and Josh will just not accept her (not for awhile anyway) with their "Golden Child."

I think today's standout performer was Beth Chamberlin. Her scenes with Alan were incredible. Now THERE'S the Beth I've wanted to see come out. Now hopefully we can be 100% over with this Alan/Beth relationship. That was a line that the writers NEVER should have crossed in the first place. And Phillip! Grant, welcome bck! I've missed you. The greatest scene of course was with his lover Rick. Lots of great dialogue there as both of them felt their way through the tough part of their reunion: Rick, of course, not being able to tell which Phillip has returned, while Phil chose to catch himself up on what has gone on in town and reminiscing about the distant past. I also loved that quick scene with Beth as she simply gets up and walks away, not knowing how to react to Phillip's return.

BTW, there was something about yesterday that I wanted to mention but never got the chance. I liked Lizzie's mention that Edmund locked Beth up in San Cristohell while they were married. HOWEVER, I wish they would have remembered that Lizzie and Edmund had an interesting relationship. Even as he was performing all these evil deeds, Edmund befriended Lizzie and treated her well. I still remember that scene in which Edmund gave Hayden's Lizzie that stuffed white charger to lift her spirits during her cancer treatment. I really wish they would show that that friendship has continued. It would allow us to see another side into Edmund (much like Maureen was another look into Roger).

The Cooper family stuff was also very good. I liked seeing Buzz trying desperately to hold himself together and failing. Yelling at Frank, running to Alan to inflict the same pain on him (wondeful cliffhanger btw). Justin Deas is a very good actor. Considering how I think getting rid of Coop is a mistake, I'm really not looking forward to what comes next. But it should make for some very interesting material for everyone to play.

The negative: If I had to point out the one failing on this show right now, it would be the music. Thankfully, the material and the acting is good enough that it sort of rises above this, but any idiot with a camera knows that the right background music can enhance a scene tenfold and the wrong score can take all the oomph out of a scene. It's like buying a new Mercedes and then letting the air out of the tires. If Brian Siewart is no longer at GL, then it's time to bring him back desperately.

• Members

LOL...Yup...Philip and Rick...lovers. They are better than any gay couple out there right now. I haven't watched today's eppy just yet still trying to get throught the Gay Hardy Boys...Ugh......

I agree with the negative. The music is so badly used. Yesterday's music almost ruined the great performances.

• Members

Ok - I watched GL today and I have to say I'm liking it! i have no clue what Dinah's about nowadays. But Phillip's scenes with ALan then Beth were riveting. If only Harley were still on. Why is she gone again, and where are her kids?

Edmund had a daughter, by whom? What happened to the Lara's baby? I really like the new Shayne, he's good.

Isn't Phillip wanted by the police? Do they know he's alive?

• Members

Agreed. Whoever is writing the show since 2009 began, needs a lifetime contract!

GA/BC... wow... his absence did nothing to dim the chemistry between these two!!

But........... as much as I'm loving Phillip, I am going through serious Otalia withdrawal. I am SO glad they are on tomorrow. :wub:

• Members

great show today. i haven't been this excited to watch a soap since another world was on. phillip and beth were mesmorizing. they have soooooooo much chemistry. the dialogue was amazing - complex yet simple. what a great show. can't wait for tomorrow. i really hope this show's ratings go up. it's the best soap i've seen in a long long long time.

• Members

wooohooo....the ratings are up...even before phillip "happens here"....lol....i have not been this excited to see a show..daytime or primetime in years. from the previews, today, and all next week look amazing as well..in addition to shayne, dinah, and mindy and michelle coming back! it's like a wish list for things i've been missing about this show. the writing has been sooooo good....in every way...for a few months now. that is what has me so excited...it's not just a good couple of weeks...it's been building for the most part for a few months now. now...if they could just fix that damn music...the opening song and the score for the show...i'd be in soap opera heaven! check it out guys...the show is great.

Archived