GL: February Discussion

• Members

What a sad moment between Lizzie and Phillip as he was being arrested by Frank. That was absolutely touching.

Another touching moment were the scenes where Daisy and Ashlee visited Coop.

Gah why are Mallet and Marina on the show? If they wanted another Cooper to mix it up and possibly hook up with Mallet they should have brought back Lucy.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow... what the heck is going on over at GL?! This show just keeps knocking it out of the park everyday!!

Loved loved loved the scenes with Phillip and Lizzie, though it was heartbreaking at the same time. You can tell she wants so much to believe that he's old Phillip.

But my scene of the day goes to the last one between Nat and Liv. Nat asking Liv to let her be the strong one and to trust her.. brushing Liv's hair back from her face... stroking her hands... telling Liv that she has her and promising not to let anything happen to Emma... :wub:

• Members

The show HAS been amazing, not just in comparison to what it was before under Kreizman...but just as stand alone soap opera. Little scenes like when Phillip helped Beth out of her bloody wedding dress, and the look between Lizzie and Phillip at the end...were just damn good soap (and worked perfectly with the new production process. )

• Members

For all the buzz about returns, the big blow-ups, and the nasty car crash, the best parts of the week by far have been the little moments of profound emotional interaction, which is exactly how soaps are supposed to function and what GL was always so good at. And we're FINALLY getting them!

Phillip and Beth's conversation yesterday was great, particularly the scene in the mirror with him helping her out of her blood-stained wedding dress.

His interaction today with Lizzie was intense but most effective, was how they just looked at each other as he was led away in cuffs.

Phillip & Rick sizing each other up and not knowing what to make of all that's gone on since they last saw each other was so bittersweet. They'd been the best of friends and that was almost completely destroyed and they're not sure they'll ever get it back.

For all his bluster, Buzz's best scene was the one where he was quietly sitting with Coop, promising him that he was going to be fine when we all know better.

And the scene today when Natalia assured an almost hysterical Olivia that she wouldn't let anyone take Emma away from her was absolutely beautiful. The foundation of this relationship is being layered so nicely.

• Members

Agreed. The small moments are what soaps are about. I think those are what keep viewers.

I think GL is like The City, in that the production model was unwieldy at first, and had no substance. They seem to have figured out a way to use the new production model to help enhance some areas of the show and downplay the areas they don't do well at, whereas I don't think The City ever did.

• Members

Ya know, I think that the only bad thing about how the show has been this week is that it makes the parts of the show that aren't working stick out even more. Like during the great Cooper family scenes whenever Daisy even mentions the name Grady. Or whenever Ashlee, Mallet, or Marina are in a scene (together or seperately). Or when Jeffrey and Reva are trying to play the happy supercouple. It's like if they can do THIS, then why the hell can't they clean up the rest of this [!@#$%^&*]? GL is in the best potential shape it's been in since 2002-2003. I hope they can polish up the rest of the show just like they did with the Shayne/Dinah, Phillip/Coop, and Nat/Olivia stories.

• Members

You know, I think Grant has a hand in this, something just tells me that if he was coming back he'd need assurances of a lot of things... he wasn't going to sign onto watch his show die. He's worked in front of and behind the camera... Everything has fallen nicely into place, as soon as I heard he was coming back I said I was holding out hope that he'd save this show and I dont think it getting incredible just as he showed up has been a fortunate coincidence.

• Members

The writing for Phillip's return so far definitely seems like something GA may have wanted. There's a tenderness to him I haven't seen in a long time, in how he was with Beth after her wedding, and his scene with Rick. That doesn't fit the ZOMG PHILLIP WILL KIDNAP MY BABIES we usually get when he's mentioned. I don't know who is responsible for some of the other improvements.

I don't know if there's any hope left for Mallet or Marina, or Daisy. I wish we could have seen another side of Ashlee, because I thought she was an interesting character until they rushed through the weight loss story, ended her relationship with Coop, and stopped developing her relationship with her mother Doris. Her story of battling those doubts and inner demons was what GL has long been about.

I think Doris is a fascinating character and I'm hoping they can find some way to use her.

• Members

RVD is right, despite the returns and the explosions and the yelling...it was the small moments that made all of that pay off. I think the scene with Phillip tenderly helping Beth with her dress is one of those GL moments which will stick in my mind, like Bert breaking down in the Bauer kitchen and finally crying over her amputation.

It does seem like there are two GL's now, with the Phillip storyline, Olivia storyline, and Dinah/Shane on one side, and the old Kreizman crap with Grady, Daisy and Reva/Jeffie on the other. I hope they are going to be phaseing out the bad, as they relieve Kreizman of more and more of his duties.

I did tell my sister to start watching again and to catch up this weeks episodes on the net. She kind of was like "Why would I want to watch that crappy show (and she was even more of a GL geek then I was)," and I had to tell her it was good....even telling her it was getting close to being "Roger and Holly, good!"

• Members

Watching Friday's show...Mandy Bruno's not ever going to make Marina work for me, but I thought she was good in her scenes with Coop.

I see why Beth Ehlers left GL and there's still some potential for her at AMC, but I really would have loved seeing her react to Phillip's return.

Archived