GL: February Discussion

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I felt sorry for Fiona on her second OLTL stint because it was the classic case of being brought back because of who Gabrielle once was, not because of what she could offer now. They ended her relationship with Max after a few months, they killed Al off after only a few years, and then Gabrielle was killed off at the lowest point in her life. Very pathetic ending. Few can play bitchiness one second vulnerability the next like Fiona and it was never used on her return.

I was never into Buzz and Jenna, but I loved her with Henry and Vanessa. When Harley returned, I loved their frenemy relationship. Fiona was completely wasted in her second GL stint. Then she was killed off after she dared to criticize the writing, and this from Paul Rauch, a man she'd praised repeatedly and highly in the press.

The Coopers got so boring after Nadine and Jenna died and Harley became a zombie. Seeing Jenna again brought some of the old spark back.

Isn't this her third or fourth return as Jenna's ghost?

• Members

Man, I came in here earlier thinking that people were going to be buzzing and there was no one. I come back hours later and there's still only one post about today's show. What gives? lol.

Today's show was really, really great. A lot of heavy hitters with some great scenes. I liked a great deal of what we saw.

- I was never the biggest fan of Coop. Oh, he was likeable enough and compared to some of the other younger actors on the show over the past few years (That son of Reva's who shall not be named), John Driscoll was an adequate actor. (BTW: Before anyone asks, I don't find Driscoll worse than the aforementioned actor, but the other way around. An unpopular opinion I know). But today, he impressed me. His biggest asset to the show is how well he fit in with the Coopers. The chemistry he has with all of them is so great. His scenes with Buzz were wonderful, even if the part when Coop got out of the car and hugged him was one of those cheesy and cliched "Last scene before something really bad happens to me" scenes. They really should have rethought getting rid of him. There's so many other characters they could do without.

- That Buzz and Jenna scene though made my day. As soon as she called Buzz a horse's ass, I knew my Jenna was back. Feisty, loving, her relationship with Buzz was a great part of the show back in the day. She never should have been killed off. I confess I got a bit misty as Buzz saw she was there and they kissed passionately.

- Perhaps the best part of the production format was tested and will be tested again tomorrow. That is, the things GL can do that other shows cannot do as easily: the outdoor action scene. The car wreck was quite good and the explosion looked impressive in the preview.

- So Bill and Lizzie do have a bit of chemistry don't they? Their scenes together in which Bill pretended to be drunk were great. And Cyrus was his usual charming self. HOWEVER, I still think Cyrus no longer belongs on the show. Now if they can retool the character a bit, maybe they can prove me wrong. Until then...

- I'm surprised at how much Cosgrove and Clarke look alike. I never noticed it before today. I think it would have been kinda cool though had Bill or Billy mentioned the Jack Kiley setup when they were plotting against Cyrus. Old Billy has been down this road before, lmao.

-Beth Chamberlin gave a very good performance today. I do agree with you Carl that I like that Alan is playing more psychological games than tying women to traintracks. It fits him so much better.

-Now: the negative. As I wrote above, I was really impressed by what we saw. However, I was kind of dissapointed by what we didn't. It's not a problem with the story per se. But I think this is a good example of the question posted in the writer thread about what makes a good or bad breakdown writer. The Phillip story could have been finetuned a bit for more effect and punch. They have been promoting this like crazy but I think the story could have been primed a bit more. In the interviews with GA, there was a great backstory about how weird it was for Phillip to find out about Beth and Alan's wedding and how he needed to see it. And that he was on his way to the wedding when he saw/heard about Coop's crash. I wish we would have been able to see that. For example: Use Friday to reintroduce Phillip and give the viewers a good cliffhanger. If they couldn't get GA back a day early, then use a subjective camera shot looking at a copy of the Journal at an announcement of the wedding and then crumbling it up. Then use today to really dig into the story. Perhaps see Phillip drive back into town with a couple flashbacks to get newer viewers up to date, maybe have Phillip give a monlogue about how his motivations for going to the wedding. Then at the end, he sees/hears Coops's accident and goes down to see him. For more time, why not move the Bill/Lizzie story to later in the week. It wasn't nearly as important IMO.

Otherwise, this was a great episode. I hope it did well ratings wise.

• Members

GL might be too far gone to have as much interest as most of the other soaps.

I totally agree they should have done more with showing Phillip's return. Have the back of his head (or hoodie) watching the Spaulding mansion. Or just show someone watching various members of the family. He should have been more of a theme throughout Monday's show, instead of a man who showed up at the end. They need to bring new viewers in and also give lapsed viewers a reason to be interested. Phillip has become such a larger than life figure in GA's absence, just saving Coop and walking into the church won't entirely cut it.

Since GL is lucky enough to have both of Bill's parents on the show, seeing more of their history used would be great. I would like to see more of a bridge between the Bill we saw grow up and the Bill we see now. GL went in that direction briefly when they paired him with Michelle but Nancy St. Alban was such a cold fish the story probably wouldn't have worked anyway.

As for Cyrus, he seems lost, he's never quite fit into the canvas (this type of character is more at home on a show like GH), but the actor does have a certain charm. I'm not sure what they could do with him with their limited cast of characters. Perhaps a boyfriend for Blake.

Driscoll's a good actor, he just lacks charisma. The show never capitalized on stories where he wouldn't need charisma. Instead they moved him away from the potentially very good romance with Ashlee and made him a toyboy.

I think GL is better off without Jonathan, they did all they could with him and he was becoming too much of a burden to too many other characters. I think Reva, Lizzie, and particularly Alan are better without him around.

• Members

Actually, if there was ever a time that I enjoyed St. Alban's performance, it was that very brief time that Bill and Michelle grew closer. Perhaps I was just so happy to be away from the Manny albatross (at least temporarily) that anything else was better.

• Members

Nine times out of ten I would root for the heroine of a core family over her mobster husband, or I hope I would, but that custody story and NSA's generally cold performances got me to the point where I had a hard time watching her scenes with anyone. I'll have to watch the clips again sometime and see how they were.

I like Lizzie and Bill but I wouldn't mind seeing a recast Michelle, now a single mother, return, and see Bill torn between her and Lizzie.

• Members

Everyone's still in shock and awe and waiting on the edge of their seats for today's show! hehe

CarlD2 - I'm actually glad they didn't have Phillip watching family members/Spaulding mansion. That's almost ALWAYS what happens when a character comes back to a show, especially long-term. I don't know how anyone on this planet didn't know that he was coming back with all the ads/media, but that must have been great for someone who didn't know to watch that scene of Phillip showing up after Coop's accident. I think that instead of learning his back history/motives prior to his return, we're going to watch it play out with all those involved in his life (Alan/Beth/Lizzie/Rick/Olivia/Alex/Bill/etc.). I think that just might be a brilliant move on GL's part if it's written the right way. How is he going to react to Alan forcing Beth into marriage and grooming his daughter? We all know Alan is wanting to destroy Company - will Phillip go up against him with that? How's Beth going to react to his return? Was Coop just her trying to relive her youth with Phillip? How is Lizzie going to react to her father being back in town, especially if he is his old self again and doesn't have that same vision of SF anymore? Will she side with Alan or Phillip? Will he be angry at Rick for standing up for Alan as his best man? How is he going to react to Olivia/Natalia? Will he support their relationship or will Alan push him to go for custody? How is he going to react to Bill? Bill helped Olivia protect Emma from Phillip, now he's "with" Lizzie. Will Phillip support that relationship? What about Spaulding? Does he want to be running the company again? Will he fight Bill/Lizzie/Alan/Alex for it? There are SO many questions and scenarios that we have yet to see play out. It's amazing how one character's return can effect so many people. But hey, this is Phillip Spaulding we're talking about!

I liked the Monday cliffhanger. Again, not something you see on soaps very often. I'm thinking today's might be Phillip bursting into the church. I hope so, because it's that kind of thing that makes you come back again the next day.

All in all, I think it was a REALLY great show yesterday. I am really looking forward to this whole week. GL is off to a great start in 2009. I can't tell you how long it's been since the first thing I do when I walk in and kick off my shoes is watch GL!

• Members

GL went back to OLD SCHOOL GL yesterday. Loved the show, so many characters actors featured, so much action. And FINALLY someone popped Buzz Cooper in his mouth!

I really liked that they used a real church for this, but it seems odd that after Alan spouting off, in the preview it looked like no one was in the church. Love that Alan is back to playing with people. Loved his line, "But Beth, you have had several names AND husbands!" GO Alan. Also, love the Spaulding dining room, its about time they have someplace else in the mansion to plot and argue then the one big study.

Time for Cyrus to go. It is obvious that they are trying to wedge him in someone because Wheelie likes him or someone thinks he is the beefcake for the show. Beefcake is a dime a dozen and he looks like a Chippendale's dancer who hasnt shaved.

A big question is...where the hell is Alex in all of this?

• Members

I just blogged my five reasons why GL is worth watching. I'm ready to accept the ridicule, LOL, by stating that I think it's the SECOND BEST show on the air! YnR and GL and three weeks ago, I would NEVER have said it I hated this show so much!

This is OLD GL heaven, for me. Romantic couples (Reva and Josh - even still, Otalia, Buzz and Jenna - even when she's gone, Remy and Christina, Shayne and Dinah)

The threat of couples being torn apart - If Lara returns, Mindy could come back for Phillip - and wouldn't it be a blip if he's been with her the whole time!?!?!)

Bill and Billy working together! YES!

The end of the kidnapping fiasco.

Heck, maybe Alex will be back, next.

Mitch, I'm GLAD that Coop and Beth's adolescent fantasy is over and couldn't believe Coop hit Buzz...seriously? Over BETH? She'd have been cheating on him in a few months time anyway. Buzz has always stood by Coop.

• Members

You know, I think that whoever wrote today's episode gets it because I know that when *I* heard Daisy ask us if we wanted to hear about her and Grady, I too let out an emphatic "Hell no!"

You are preaching to the choir whoever you are!

Rest of my thoughts later when I have time to pick my jaw off the ground from both GL and Y&R...

Archived