GL: February Discussion

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Has there been some secret realignment in the writers' universe? How could the same set of writers ROCK THE SHOW like this? They've been so miserable with the writing and after all of THIS, they're writing like their jobs depend on doing well and entertaining the audience.

• Members

Haven't watched this soap in like 3 years since Pelphrey and Gatschet left it but today I look up to see Coop being carried in by PHILLIP and I havn't stopped watching since. This soap is the best it has been in a long time IMO! Usually I can't get into GL but this is really good.

• Members

I have to say, I was a little bit underwhelmed with yesterday's ep especially since it was so hyped up. the cheap light pop rock music really stood out in this episode because it was supposed to be such a dramatic episode. The acting was all there but the music really sucked the drama out of everything. Even when there wasnt any music, I found myself saying "why isnt there a dramatic cue right now?"

And I went WTF when Coop's car turned from a brand new Honda Accord to an old Ford Taurus after the accident.

• Members

I don't think it's the same set of writers. When they brought in the three new HWs, weren't they not working for the show at the time? Whatever the case, I've seen vast improvement since they arrived and I give Jill Lorie Hurst most of the credit. She's the one giving the interviews which seems to suggest she's mostly in control. The diversity in the canvas and stories told is great. They're back to doing good, dramatic soap storytelling. I hope they use each day to showcase whats happening in town for new viewers tuning in for Phillip's first week back. They need to see that there's a prominent black family in Springfield and an exciting lesbian story as well. Show lapsed viewers that Reva is still around, Vanessa, Billy, etc. I thought it was great to start the week with Bill, Lizzie, Alan and Beth because those are characters Phillip fans are gonna wanna see.

I'm glad it looks like this kidnapping story is finally moving, but I still wish it would just end. Wasn't Dinah involved as well? The fallout should be fantastic at the very least. It's nice to have a third soap to add to my lineup (after Y&R and Hollyoaks). I hope GL doesn't disappoint!

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Feb 10 2009, 03:41 PM)
I don't think it's the same set of writers. When they brought in the three new HWs, weren't they not working for the show at the time? Whatever the case, I've seen vast improvement since they arrived and I give Jill Lorie Hurst most of the credit. She's the one giving the interviews which seems to suggest she's mostly in control. The diversity in the canvas and stories told is great. They're back to doing good, dramatic soap storytelling. I hope they use each day to showcase whats happening in town for new viewers tuning in for Phillip's first week back. They need to see that there's a prominent black family in Springfield and an exciting lesbian story as well. Show lapsed viewers that Reva is still around, Vanessa, Billy, etc. I thought it was great to start the week with Bill, Lizzie, Alan and Beth because those are characters Phillip fans are gonna wanna see.

I'm glad it looks like this kidnapping story is finally moving, but I still wish it would just end. Wasn't Dinah involved as well? The fallout should be fantastic at the very least. It's nice to have a third soap to add to my lineup (after Y&R and Hollyoaks). I hope GL doesn't disappoint!

No, all the writers were working ont he show before the 4-head writer switch. They were all breakdown/script writers. I believe Jill was the editor.

I just think they realized they shouldn't try to tell stories like The Hills, and once they were allowed to write SOAP OPERA, they dove in with enthusiasm. And it shows.

• Members

Thank you for saying that!

I think the original idea was to "reinvent" both the look (dare I say "production model"?) and the storytelling style.

The look persists, slightly refined, but perhaps they have capitulated on the storytelling. If that is so, hope is here.

But here is this nagging thing. Just before it died, as that recent Goutman interview reprint showed, a lot of people thought AW was better. It turned out to be a last gasp...too late... Do you think this is different? I honestly hope, for the genre, it will be "saved". It is so nice to read all this positivity for a change.

• Members

I think there was an order from above to "break the mold". Because Jill, Lucky... they've all been there. (Lucky was HW during one of the worst times in GL history, but at least it was still SOAP OPERA). But clearly, they were out of their element writing a non-soap soap opera. And now that they can do what they all know HOW to do, they're running wild.

But I do wonder if it's too little too late. GL is NOT going to leap up to 5th place. If it does, I will be STUNNED. And pay MarkH a thousand dollars. There. I said it. And you all have me on record saying it. LOL!

• Members

OMG, how amazing would that be! I keep hearing all these people say they're tuning in to Otalia and Phillip's return, but I just don't want to get ahead of myself and believe that it's going to show up in the ratings. It's a little hard not to though with all the excitement surrounding the show right now. :D

• Members

GREAT episode today, 2/10! I loved it all and I haven't said that about GL in a long time!

It's so good to see Grant back. A few months ago, I was cheerleading to have this show put out of its misery. I feel differently now. If they can keep up the momentum and gain some viewers, I think they'll get another year on the air.

Good job to all involved at GL!

• Members

Both AW and GL were/are in places where they had nowhere to go but up, but even then I don't know if AW had improved significantly by the end. You had the widely panned story about Amanda/Amelie and traveling through the past, you had Alice Barrett's botched return. I think the show was about 50/50.

I do see the parallels, although I guess I will tell myself GL might still have a chance. Daytime has significantly declined over the past 10 years, the standards aren't as high for ratings. GL also must be much cheaper to produce than AW, or even today's ATWT.

Tina Sloan is aging very well. I was never crazy about Lillian but I'm glad she's still there, for continuity reasons, and because she adds to Beth and Lizzie.

This got on my nerves when they were showing the Coopers find out about the car crash. I wondered if they were trying to distract from Mandy Bruno's "acting". The part where she put her hands over her ears was probably her best work in years.

Remind me never to go to Cedars, if they leave some bleeding, untreated, seriously wounded man alone for an extended period of time.

I'm really digging Ron Raines lately.

• Members

If they keep running days like today, I could easily see GL moving into fifth place. Everything else is moving SO slow on most other soaps and I think DAYS getting rid of it's veteran couples will be a huge mistake, in the long run.

Today was the most perfect soap day I could imagine. Phillip telling Alan it doesn't hurt, any more... Alan being dumbfounded, Phillip responding... 'where you shot me!' BAM! Never saw it coming.

I thought COOP would be shot with the gun he grabbed out of the basement. I forgot all about it until Phillip bent down and it was tucked in his waist.

So many tiny little surprises like that. I'm a fool, I know. I've fallen for it. If the writers can't keep up with this level of writing, I'm willing to give them room to be only HALF as good as they were today. At half as good, they're a million light years better.

Psssst... MarkH, care to split the cash? :P

• Members

I forgot about the gun too.

Grant Aleksander just got back but he's doing well at playing a more sane Phillip but still isn't quite all there (like when he pulls the gun on Alan).

I wish they could just send Coop to live somewhere else. Emphasis on live.

Archived