GL: February Discussion

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

God, I'm such a wreck. Beth Chamberlin, Justin Deas, and John Driscoll had me bawling my f-ing eyes out. Brilliant performances all around. Take a deep bow. Chamberlin and Deas were both, dare I say it, Emmy worthy. (I would say Driscoll too, but no one who is killed off in the first two months of the show will get an Emmy unless they are Ellen Parker and THAT had more to do with the different eligibility period than anything.)

What wonderful scenes. Coop telling Beth that she is stronger than she thinks and him trying desperately to say goodbye to Buzz who tries to flee like he always does. Deas gave me wonderful memories of Jenna dying in his arms today. It had that same kind of quality. It was heart-wrenching watching Deas yell at him to stop saying goodbye. Now, I don't want to harp on this, but imagine how today's scenes would have played with a sad piano number in the background. I'm just sayin'...

Olivia and Bill shared a BRILLIANT scene that had so many different levels. First, their own history as a couple and Bill's love for Emma. I loved that Olivia tried to kiss him, almost to see if she still felt an attraction not only to him but to men in general. Second, Bill and Olivia as friends and confidantes. Third, Olivia's growing attraction to Natalia. She's confused, she's scared, she has no idea how this has occurred between them and she's not sure how to proceed. So instead of keeping her emotions inside, she releases it in front of Bill, almost without even thinking. I don't want to overpraise this scene, but it was really written and acted beautifully.

Bill and Lizzie is such an odd pairing because of the Bill SORAS with Cosgrove, but they do have chemistry. I think it's time to wrap up this inane kidnapping arch. Expose Grady and be done with it. Then, let them have a good story. When some of the other stories are really taking off, I think the writers really need to make an effort to look at the aprts of the show that aren't working and make the necessary adjustments. If that means losing some cast members (I'm sure you all know who I mean) then so be it. GL has the potential to be really good right now but only if they can build on the last week or two.

Finally, I do want to mention something. This past week is validation for me because it proves something that the "naysayers" have been saying all along. The new production style wasn't the problem per se. It was the writing (or for the longest time the lack of it) that really kept people away. Right now, the production values barely even bother me (except for the music) because the STORY and the acting is so well done. I hope you have all learned your lesson, especially you Wheeler.

• Members

I totally agree. I came back to watch for the Phillip return and that has not let me down. It's a GL story worth tuning in for (and IMO they haven't had one this well written in a LONG while) but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and it just become bad. I'm scared GL can't sustain this good of writing for a long while.

• Members

I think it was an accident. Phillip and Rick intended to stop Ross's flight but not kill him.

Phillip has done some awful things but they can always just plead insanity. On GL alone, Mallet, Reva, Alan, and Alex, off the top of my head, have done insane things over the past 5 or so years and got away with them. I think it's worth keeping a sane and complicated Phillip on the canvas.

• Members

It is amazing how good GL has been but we also have to remember it is a MIRACLE GL is still on the air. It was supposed to be cancelled in late 2007 but Wheeler had the idea for the new production model. They have alot more money in their bank account this year. I mean they had to afford GRANT ALEKANDER. He was very very expensive and demanded storyline approval. Grant's deal at GL/CBS is unheard of. They did everything to get him back and it was because they saved their money for this. A big thing is daytime does not have the ability to take hiatuses so it took forever to perfect this model and it is still ongoing. They wanted to give us a reality show but with throwaway scenes and bad stories. It has taken them a year to iron kinks out. The show is looking alot better. It has no more of those ugly close ups, the camera is not as shaky, sound has majorly improved, more actors are in scenes together, and the music is not that folk music that was awful. Jill Lorie Hurst is a huge reason GL is taking off now, she is very smart and talented and has been with GL since 1994. She was hired to be JFP's intern/assistant back in 1994 and has been with the show now for 15 years.. They are finally making realizing that for the model to work it has to be able to be a SOAP OPERA/faciliate storyline. They are finally making that work here. I honestly think CBS really wants to save GL. They would not have had all these promos for the show, bringing Grant back, and doing things possible to save it. When AW was cancelled by NBC they had no promos, publicity or anything. You could tell NBC wanted to dump AW. Lets give ELLES though some credit, it is a miracle GL is on the air. I MEAN PEOPLE CANNOT EVEN BELIEVE THE SHOW IS ON THE AIR, it should be in soap heaven. I do believe her production model will be used on most soaps in the future, it has saved GL such a fortune. Oh btw for all you guys ELLEN WHEELER IS celebrating her fifth year as executive producer of GL.

• Members

I think the new production model is starting to be an asset to the show, now that they've figured out how to calm down. The music is still a huge problem but as others have said, if the writing is good, the production becomes less of a flaw. The show is back to being character-driven, not character-driven as in, "How can we twist everyone around to benefit our favorites," but more along the lines of how characters would actually behave.

A lot of the decisions Wheeler made turned me away (I just never could get into Jonathan, which meant I was definitely not the ideal viewer for the show from 2004-2007), but I also recognize that she had to work with what she was given. I don't think she's great but I've come to realize she also isn't awful. The show needs great in order to survive. Bringing back key actors (or characters, as some can be recast), writing out dead wood, and letting JLH have her way (if her writing is the reason for the improvement) is probably as close to great as is possible right now.

I'm surprised, and very happy, to see GL still on the air and in fighting shape. I also agree CBS may still want to keep the show alive, unlike NBC, which was all too eager to kill AW and Sunset Beach. One thing I'm hoping will start to change is that we will see less of this "WHY IS THIS SHOW STILL ON THE AIR??" disdain in the soap press, from Branco and his issues with the show to Carolyn Hinsey trying to claim GL has the poorest quality of the CBS soaps (I think ATWT and B&B are in worse shape right now). But I don't really care about that so much as I just want to see the show get another few years.

Today's show was good. I like the long, one-on-one scenes which used to be a hallmark of GL and were abandoned during the 90s. The scenes with Bill and Natalia, Beth and Lizzie. I did kind of want Coop to throw Lizzie out when she started berating him right after he woke up.

I think John Driscoll should be very proud of his scenes with Buzz today. They were the best work I've seen from him.

• Members

WOWSA to Justin Deas today, he was just incredible in his performance. He was beyond amazing. The last scenes with Driscoll/Deas was so sad. It was so convincing and amazing. When Coop said," Goodbye dad", that was so sad. GL is on a roll this wekk and kudos to Jill Lorie Hurst in her role as head writer. She is giving us this different GL and GL IMO has one of the best casts. All they needed was great writing to match all their talents.

Archived